I just realized it's impossible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Tonight I was looking at my oil stash, and I realized that it is virtually impossible for me and my family to use it all up before we're all too old to drive anymore, our daughter included.

What caused this epiphany was moving the stash to a new warehouse space we just leased (no, not just for the stash!
tongue.gif
) and it filled the entire 8' bed of my pickup... it was so heavy that it even caused this 8600lb GVWR truck to ride a lot smoother. I don't even have an accurate count anymore.
dunno.gif

It's made up of all the hotties here at BITOG and then some, such as Delo 400 Synthetic 0W-30 and Delo 400 10W-30.

I guess we'll be offering some exotic oil changes down at the shop... stuff that people just don't see at automotive repair places. I'm lucky I've got a way out of this!
shocked.gif

I am not "cured," however.
patriot.gif

Umm, I only have 14 quarts, some Trop-Artic and Kendall syn-blend and some Havoline and 3 Filters 2 st-8 and one st-16. I'm on my way though.
cheers.gif

I'm up to 20 quarts or so. Even that has me worried a bit... around a year's supply, more than I usually have. But all I need to do is log on here, read stories like this, and my worries fade away.
grin.gif
So your stash has done somebody some good!

I'll tell you my problem. I have 584 quarts. (yep, 584). For me and mine, that's about a seven year supply. And then I sit down about a month ago and read that Delo 400 30 weight is on sale for 1 dollar a GALLON! I did check out one Auto Zone in my area to see if they had any - all gone. "That's okay," say I to myself, "I've got all that oil at the house." But lately, I find myself driving by other Auto Zones that aren't on the way home. I even wake up in the morning thinking, "that's 25 cents a quart - oil change for a buck-twenty-five." On top of this, I've set up a used oil cleaner, (rope method), out in my shed. It flows from one five gallon bucket to another. Of what I read it leaves all the additives behind so that you end up with "just oil." What I'm going to do with all this "pure oil" I have no idea - but I've got it! As if that's not bad enough, I also have 20 gallons of used motor oil in a barrel in my shed that I haven't cleaned yet. I use it to oil bicycle chains, gate hinges, etc. I just can't bring myself to use the "clean" used oil for something like this. Have I got a problem or what?
As your buddie and mine, James Brown once said: "Somebody help me!"

Dang Dave, hope you had a hazardous material sticker on all 4 sides of your truck and a hazmat license when you transported that stuff. You have gone well beyond "consumer commodity" status!!!!
wink.gif

I tell myself the day I buy oil for more than one oil change, it will immediately become superceded by some magic lube and go on sale. But then I only have one car.

LOL I would think so. I don't know of anyone else besides us BITOG members that actually stash oil as much as we do. Even my dad (and his dad) were mechanics and they never saved up for the next oil change.
tongue.gif

I agree - we need some pictures of all these quarts
smile.gif

alrighty, this board has been up for over three years so I know someone here has to have over a 1000 quarts. come out..come out wherever you are..
grin.gif

For the last 30 years I've always had a years supply of oil and filters. Sometimes more. Always bought on sale.

So now I have 3 or 4 years worth. No big deal. With the continuing rise in oil and filter prices, My stash looks better and better.

I've only got 68 bottles of Havoline in a mixture of 5W20 and 5W30.

I won't be moving them to another location until I have run it through my cars.

quote:

alrighty, this board has been up for over three years so I know someone here has to have over a 1000 quarts. come out..come out wherever you are..

-

36 more bottles of oil to the stash..
grin.gif

Where he stops, nobody knows... (average price for the 36 quarts is .85 cents a quart...)(the QS ran up the average...)

(Thanks Checkers!)
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: No where close to 1000 quarts...
frown.gif
(but more than 1/2 way there.. )
tongue.gif

I have 20 quarts of MC 5w20 (last of the $1.58 at Wally), 10 quarts of TropArtic 5w30/10w30, 5 quarts of Havoline 5w30, 3 Motorcraft FL400S filters and 1 Supertech ST9018. That's a good start.

Quote:
"Tonight I was looking at my oil stash, and I realized that it is virtually impossible for me and my family to use it all up before we're all too old to drive anymore, our daughter included."
We have a saying at work; "We can do anything. The impossible just takes a little longer..."
I am well over half way there also, if you count the 60 gallons of Delo scored at the zone. But, I'm not worried. It will all be used, and I can honestly say that I can do an oil change for 2.50, including the filter.

"Hoarding"-1) the acquisition of, and failure to discard, a large number of possessions that appear to be of useless or limited value to "normal people"; 2)living spaces significantly cluttered so as to preclude activities for which these spaces were designed; and 3)significant distress or impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding.
Sometimes Prozac works but most of us on this site enjoy this particular form of hoarding too much to be distressed, plus we have a great support forum that encourages this behavior!! Enjoy. Bill

I got almost a 100 quarts of Mobil 1 5w30, 10w30, Valvoline Durablend 5w30 and 10w30. In the mix is also a little Rotella 15w40, Valvoline Maxlife, and Castrol GTX.

I got all of this oil for almost nothing too, I'm talkin like $20.

Hey Bill! I now keep my stash in a warehouse to avoid cluttering my living area... do I still qualify as a "hoarder?"

Also, what if you have a lot of stuff that doesn't clutter up you living area, but you impose it on other people's living area? Then, are they hoarders?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back