An exclamation point in parenthesis
An exclamation point in brackets
An exclamation point in a horseshoe
Flames
A wishbone
An exclamation point in a fish bowl
An exclamation point in a cup
A candle in a glass

But it's well explained in the federal register: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles...ls-and-displays

large.gif

I hope it's only low pressure from low temp, because I'm at work and don't feel like changing tires.

Did it come on while you were driving? If so, tires were getting warmer, so less likely it was low temp. If it was on right after fireup, then it might just be extra cold.

I hope it is just the pressure! Don't forget to check the spare too, I think some, not all, cars have a sensor in the spare.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can you car display the actual pressure in each tire?

Stop bragging!
It's just a Toyota.
I can see the pressure, but only when hooked up with laptop with TIS cable (left at home).

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Did it come on while you were driving? If so, tires were getting warmer, so less likely it was low temp.

Good point. It's probably a nail.

Not bragging. Just asking. None of our vehicles can do that since they rely on ABS sensors and not actual TPMS devices inside the wheels.

I had one come on yesterday when I was leaving work. Turns out my r/f tire was around 13psi. I had just set them all a week or so before with my MATCO Digital Inflator. Nursed it the 200 feet or so into the service department and refilled them. Checked for punctures and there weren't any. Checked the pressure again this morning and it was at 35.5 where I left it, checked again on my lunch break, 35.5. I think it is a co-worker because I also regularly get my wiper blades flipped upside down and my passenger power mirror moved by force.

My Liberty tells me to check the TPMS every time I start it. It displays the air pressure @ 35 lbs. in all four tires. If I increase or decrease the pressure in any or all of the tires it picks it up. The spare also has 35 lbs. air in it. If its a simple fix fine, if not I will continue to ignore it until its time for new tires. Which will be years from now....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not bragging. Just asking. None of our vehicles can do that since they rely on ABS sensors and not actual TPMS devices inside the wheels.

OK, i thought you were like one of my coworkers that says that her car (huge Acura SUV) shows pressure in all 5 tires on the dashboard. Actually, a good thing.

My Ram started throwing false tire pressure alarms 2 weeks ago. It has TPMS sensors in the wheels, and I assume one or more of them is flaky. It doesn't give individual pressures on the dash like the Challenger and JGC though. I'll just have them all serviced next time I buy tires. Last time I told them explicitly NOT to charge me the extra for servicing the things. Now I almost (not quite...) regret it :)

Not surprised these devices are unreliable. Can't imagine a much more hostile environment for a transducer than inside a rotating tire getting hammered by every irregularity in the road!.

Batteries are designed to last the life of the tires, which of course varies with mileage and use.

One of mine came on yesterday on the mountain. Automatically switched screens and showed the left rear low. Stopped, and sure enough it was, but there was time to move it a few feet to a safer edge of the cliff to put the spare on. Of course the spare was under all the luggage, and there were 10,000 mosquitoes looking for their lunch.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I hope it's only low pressure from low temp

Why don't you just go to Harbor Freight and get a simple, cheap tire gauge?

By law, that light must illuminate when one or more tires is at least 25% below its "door-jamb sticker" pressure.

Google the terms NHTSA TPMS 25% and you'll find the NHTSA's PDF explaining the whole thing.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

I have one of those already. The tire pressure is fine. I checked all 5 before driving home. It must be some other "tire malfunction."

Was it a real issue? Our Camry for the longest time would indicate a fault if I was driving it. Not a low tire but a system problem. I took it to the dealer once but of course no issue found. Hasn't done it in a while.

But as a Loyal VW driver I'm used to ignoring lights on the dash. Right now I'm at three.

Edit: posted at the same time. Was it blinking or on steady?

Last edited:
I usually give a few extra psi in the tire, especially in colder weather. If the door label calls for 35, I'm at least at 38.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

I have one of those already. The tire pressure is fine. I checked all 5 before driving home. It must be some other "tire malfunction."

Are you trying to say that something could go wrong with the warning systems in your vehicle? Using a tire pressure gauge is cheating. You're supposed to take that vehicle to the dealer and give them another shot at your pocketbook.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Are you trying to say that something could go wrong with the warning systems in your vehicle? Using a tire pressure gauge is cheating. You're supposed to take that vehicle to the dealer and give them another shot at your pocketbook.

LOL, funny.

I scanned the ECU with TIS and there is no communication with the sensor #2. Code C2122. Probably transmitter battery dead. It had to happen at some time. The car has low miles, but high years (over 8).

Eight years is probably getting there in terms of battery life. We still have three of the original four sensors in our 2005 Acura, so it's at ten years now. One was replaced earlier this year after suffering damage at the hands of a hasty tire installation technician. And believe it or not, but none of the o-rings have even been replaced (on those three original sensors).

To counter that, our Honda had at least one wheel where the TPMS sensor o-ring was leaking at the three year mark. I had Sears put in the rebuild kits when they mounted tires three years ago and all's been fine since.

Luck of the draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back