I have something new for us to discuss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jag Said:

"Redline uses much different basestocks than this brand."

How do you know that???
I happen to know and I'll leave it at that.
bruce

Hey guys, I wouldn't have even mentioned it if I knew folks were going to get PO'd! It's just that I had never seen this stuff before and, after all, this IS the premiere oil web site. I kinda hoped to spark up some delightful conversation! Pretty neat that Liquid Cosworth took the time to respond. Cheers all! DV

oil wars
Joe Gibbs vs. Cosworth,
grin.gif

I just noticed this ad in my motortrend the other day as well, I wouldn't mind trying it if I had a vehicle worthy of it. For the price though I would try and run it for atleast 7-8k miles, much like one of the members runs redline in his ford focus.(forgot his name) Because that would be way too expensive for me to change every 4-5k.

I said:
"Redline uses much different basestocks than this brand."

Bruce said:
"How do you know that???"

My reply: I say that because that's what Redline implies on their website. I've never seen mention of PAO basestocks in Redline's literature, nor have I heard anyone say it has a significant amount of PAO. I always have only heard mention of POE basestocks in Redline. Maybe Redline's ad campaigns have us fooled and there actually is a significant PAO content in Redline? You are going to have to spill some more beans than just say you know otherwise, because of the evidence to the contrary.

For other differences, compare some of the physical properties here and see some significant differences. The only way they are the same is if one or both companies are publishing false values. Cosworth even has 2 viscosity grades that Redline doesn't have. http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/4.pdf
http://www.liquidcosworth.com/oil/Cosworth_Motor_Oils_Product_Information.pdf

If you are saying that just one or more aspects of these oils is a copy, just name them. Unless one or more of these companies are being misleading or even lying, clearly the finished motor oils themselves are not copies.

L...Q...

welcome.gif
aboard...is there a reason why you don't formulate to longer drain intervals (e.g. MB 229.3/5)?

Again...welcome

Thank you, all.

Cosworth is a engine manufacturer that now develops and markets lubricants. Unlike other manufacturers, the primary target of the lubricant is not extended drain, fuel economy, or assisting in exhaust emission reductions, but engine performance and protection. The formulation meets the performance requirements of F1, CCWS, Atlantics, Caterham, and the Duratec engines we build. These are our current "Sequence tests", if you will. The robustness will surely provide extended drain intervals but as our focus is elsewhere, we won't put out a mileage figure.

Again, thanks for the welcome.

The MSDS shows 5-15% DIISOOCTYL ADIPATE (ADIPIC ACID; DIISOOCTYL ESTER Cas: 1330-86-5) a plasticiser(?) Is this the friction reducer?

Hello, ebaker.

Firstly, I note that the addition of the CAS number is yours, and not from the MSDS.

The component listed is the synthetic ester base oil. Ester base oils have some anti-friction properties, but one can use additives for the same purpose.

Beyond lubricants, another use for esters are as plasticizers; materials added to reactions during manufacture to impart elasticity, flexibility or softness. One should not think esters cause "plastic" behaviour in engine oils, however.

Hey liquidcosworth,

Would this oil be acceptable for my 1986 Mercedes-Cosworth 190e 2.3-16... seeing as how you guys built part of my car and all...

I decided to experiment with this stuff in my GTO. I just ordered 3 qts of 5W40, and will order 4 qts of 0W30 next month and put it all in in at my next change. Of course I will do a UOA to see how it works in an LS2.

These truely do look like exceptional oils. Being as I've just started a run with Red Line (1,600 miles ago) and am locked-in for a while, someone should really give Liquid Cosworth a try and post the UOAs.

I'd love to see how their 0W30 oil compares to GC in UOAs.

"HT/HS of 3.34. How can it be ACEA A3 rated?"

ACEA ratings are self-reported.

From the LC website-

recommended for small to mid-size engines that may rev to high RPMs where API SJ/CF, ACEA A3/B3, MB 229.1, VW 502/505

Just to clairify the "recommeded for" language, which I have not seen used with the VW Sequence before, only "Approved" or "Meets" (VW 502).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back