I have something new for us to discuss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While reading the new Motor Trend magazine I saw an ad for "Liquid Cosworth Oil". It seems that the people that make Cosworth engines have seen fit to make a oil for the average bloke on the street. It is an A3 rated oil, a PAO / ester oil blend that actually sounds pretty good. I wonder if they have figured out a way to rebottle GC for sale! To find out more, long onto www.liquidcosworth.com and check it out. It's time to start sifting the internet to get the low down on this stuff! Cheers all! DV

for $8.50 a qt i will stick with GC. I would rather buy amsoil than pay that amount.

so ford has a high end motor oil now. guess they use the cosworth name to jsutify the higher price. kinda hard to do that with the motorcraft name.

The 0w-30 has a HT/HS of 3.34. How can it be ACEA A3 rated then? Regardless, I'm sure they are good oils but not worth the price. I wonder who is making them?

According to the MSDS sheet this is not a group IV/group V blend. It is a group III/group IV blend. It is mostly PAO. However, you can get PAO and PAO/ester blends much cheaper than this oil. No thank you at $8.50/liter. You can get Redline for $8/quart.

Well, that's what I brought it to this board for: to see what our resident oil heads think! And I agree, it IS priced too high and is not even close to being the oil that GC (green or gold) is. 'Twas a nice thought, but no cigar - case closed! BTW, the GC gold that is in my '05 4.3 is holding up very well and the engine LOVES it! Cheers all! DV

I know nothing of this oil, and yes the price looks VERY high for what it is. Looks like maybe they are even wordsmithing a bit.

That said, the words given above do not automatically make it a bad oil in terms of lubrication qualities.

Even, say the fact that an oil may have a HT/HS of 3.3 vs. 3.5 does not automatically make the 3.3 a loser oil....the 3.5 cutoff for A3 is a bit arbitrary is basically what I'm saying.

Starting TBN of 8.8 sounds weak, but how does it hold TBN. Will it be a great oil for 5000 miles?

And we have seen some spectacular results from some Group III (and blends).

Really not much is given about the add pack. Even a cheap VOA would provide some insight, but not necessarily a clear window to performance.

All I'm saying is very, very often paper or even labs, don't equal the road.

There are many good group III/group IV blends but they are cheaper. Schaeffer, Amsoil, and Valovine all have great group III/group IV blends but their TBNs are higher. I use them any day over this stuff. I would not pay $8.50/liter for a short drain oil. To each his own.

Dark Jedi,
Ford sold their interest in Cosworth in 2004.

The current owners of the racing group are Champ Car series owners Gerald Forsythe and Kevin Kalkhoven.

Man, is that stuff expensive.
I'll pass.

welcome.gif

Thanks for posting! I'm interested in the 5W-40 oil and am particularly impressed with the HTHS value as well as the phosphorus and moly concentrations. That's the most moly (850 ppm) I recall ever seeing. I am totally intrigued!

quote:

We feel the new combination is unique - other oil companies don’t manufacture performance engines and other engine manufacturers don’t formulate lubricants.

You know I don't doubt the knowledge of oil companies nor do I doubt their products to be very high quality, but you do have a point there. That's actually something that would make me want to buy the oil IF I had a car that was worthy of $8 a bottle. Currently I do not. Then again I paid almost $6 a bottle just to try Royal Purple so maybe I would give this a whirl for a few 10K miles (**** right I'm getting my money's worth!)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We feel the new combination is unique - other oil companies don’t manufacture performance engines and other engine manufacturers don’t formulate lubricants.

Can you say copy/clone of Redline?
at a higher price?

RL tests in all types of motor sports they have nothing on RL IMHO.

Bruce

"Can you say copy/clone of Redline?
at a higher price?"

I expect more truthful and objective posts from a scientist type such as yourself! That one pegged the ** meter.

"I expect more truthful and objective posts from a scientist type such as yourself! That one pegged the ** meter."

What?? I just told the truth they are copying RL plain and simple with a lot of rehash of info on RL site.

I post what I want Read it or not I can care less
I post I post the truth an do not have to answer to anyone.

Dont like my post ask a quaetion if I can answer i will.

So **** of if you may expect more from me do not hold your breath.

bruce

Redline uses much different basestocks than this brand. That alone makes calling it a copy false, not to mention other differences. I think I'll go fuc off now. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm smiling so don't get so mad.

Is anyone here going to try one of these oils? I think I may have to buy a quart of the 5W-40 and do some testing on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back