I have sinned by purchasing plastic.

I purchased some 0W40.

First ever 0W that I have purchased. One of my cars came with 0W20 from factory but it's running 10W30.
all my cars are on 10W30 (M1 EP, GTX Magnatec, Chevron Supreme) right now except one with PP 5W30.

I like small delta oils (xWy) and primarily use 10W30. Delta = 20.
in old days I used 10W40's (delta=30). Didn't know much about oil back then. Still don't.

I kept seeing M1 Euro 0W40 and Castrol Edge Euro 0W40 both for $24.xx ... I finally decided to try one and wanted to buy M1 but they only had 2 jars of Edge left so I got one of those. Both were a3/b4 Euro and MB/VW this or that. I like higher hths oils.

if I drain plastic after the next oil change, I will let you know. :ROFLMAO:

All I use is 0W motor oils. My Outback uses Kirkland 0W-20, although I may be changing it to 0W-30, to slow down consumption. My E350 gets M1 Euro 0W-40, and loves the stuff. Since I already have it on the shelf, the lawn mower and snow blower also get 0W-40. The mower runs much better on the 0W-40 than it did on 30 HD or 5W-30. And my snow blower seems to like it too.

I really struggle to understand the resistance to 0W motor oils. Is it just tradition? The old "My pa used 15W-40, so I use it too" approach? IDK.

Plasticizers were the baliwick of old 10w40 oils.

Nowadays, a 0w-Anything is likely to have more Group III+/IV/I than any 5w- or 10w-... which are more likely to have more... plasticizers.

btw, loosely speaking ... you know polymer vs. plastic, etc.

In general oils with a higher spread or delta (y minus x in xWy) have more vii (vm) and as a result are typically less shear stable. Also they typically have higher Noack but iirc, the Euro oils have to be under 10.
I still find 10W30's with much lower Noack.

High spread/delta oils: 0W40 (spread=40)
Low spread oil: 10W30 (delta=20)

Is there such a thing as a small delta oil? Sounds like some made up terminology here.

s-l300.jpg

Delta = 0 ;)

s-l300.jpg

Delta = 0 ;)

I had a thread or asked a question about a straight 20 long time ago.
why not if 20W meets the cold/winter operating temps.

iirc, the demand is low and there are not many good options for straight 20's as far as meeting certain specs, etc.

A Group II 10W40 could have the same amount of polymer VII in it as a Group III 5W40, and both could have more VII than a Group IV PAO based 0W40.

Then there is shear stability, in general a more shear stable VII is less efficient and so a larger dose is needed.

The concept of delta, is good for comparing oils of the same base type, using the same VII type. All bets are off otherwise.

Back