I have ordered my Schaeffer's Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another happy customer! Be sure to do a UOA on it. I should have my 5k UOA on Schaeffer 10w30 (with 3oz Auto-rx and a Carquest Premium filter) by about mid July. Then I'm switching to 5w30 Schaeffer, and also switching back to the K&N oil filters once again.

[ May 09, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I am thinking about going only 3000-4000 miles with the first Schaeffer's oil change, because of possible 'additive clash' that people talk about here. Then I will go 6000 miles with each change. I don't think I will send a sample to the lab until I am in the middle of the second change.

I ran into a snag. I went to the K&N web site and tried to find out what K&N I should use on my car. Believe it or not, there were no reference books for the K&N at the Checker Store (by the way, K&Ns cost $.9.99 at the Checker Store). And, as usual with my luck, the server was down at K&N so I was not able to find out what K&N to use with my car. I sent an email, and the woman who immediately answered my email said that there are no K&Ns for my vehicle!

I guess I will have to use a Wix or a Hastings. I like those filters, but in the BOBISTHEOILGUY oil filter tests, they had more oil pressure drop than the K&N.

Oh, by the way, somebody will ask, my car is a 2001 Saturn SL2 with the double overhead cam engine.

When I ordered the case of oil, I also ordered Neutra. It is great! It seems to make my car run better and my fuel mileage seems to have increased. Will it be effective at maybe soemthing like 3 oz. per tank of fuel?

I also will use a maintenance dose of Auto-RX in the oil (3 oz.). This is another product I discovered at this site that I believe in.

Dang it! Sorry, but I missed another question that was asked. I ordered the 5W30 Schaeffer's Oil. It gets hot here in the summertime, but 5W30 is the preferred viscosity for my car, and there was a discussion here a while back concerning whether the 5W30 Schaeffer's has a better base oil than the 10W30 Schaeffer's.

I decided to go with the 5W30. If I go into the wintertime (and with 6000 mile changes I will) I will need the 5W30 anyway.

Mystic, I did a search for K&N oil filters on your car last week and their site told me your car takes an HP1002.

As far as maintenance dosage for Neutra, I believe most people use roughly one ounce per 5 gallons.

Thanks a lot Patman! I would prefer to use the K&N, after I read through the BOBISTHEOILGUY oil filter tests. Some of those oil filters that were tested had what for me were shocking oil pressure drops. I am no expert, but it seems to me that no matter how well an oil filter may filter, extreme oil pressure drops are to be avoided. As far as I know, the K&N filters well enough, and there is far less pressure drop.

Plus, the K&N is easier to install and remove, because of that bolt on the end.

The K&N costs $9.99 plus whatever the tax will be, but that is only a few dollars more than other quality oil filters. If it gets the job done, a few more dollars per oil change is nothing.

Amazing. Here's a person that has been completely sold on the Schaeffer product by reading the exhaustive information on this board and Schaeffer has completely distanced itself from this site. What a pity. Quite a marketing strategy.

Mystic

Congratulations.

I believe you have found the real sleeper product in the lubrication world.

Maybe going big would ruin Schaeffer's.

I was all ready to give Tim a call for some Schaeffer's oil (fully syn in 5 gal jug), but then I stumble on M1 for $3.38 a qt. So, my Schaeffer's experience is going to have to wait a while.

Neil Womack, it seems to me that Schaeffer's Oil could probably make a ton of money if they sold their motor oils and other products in more places. But then again, if they did do something like that, maybe their quality would suffer. That has happened to some other products.

You would think that it would be the other way around. If somebody makes a good product and their product sells well, then they have the cash for more research and should be able to make their products better. But at least in the case of a couple of other brands that I can think of, that has not happened.

I guess what happens is, once a product becomes popular and is selling big time, the managers say to themselves, well, we can reduce quality-people will go right on buying our stuff, even when it is junk. We have this big brand name thing, and out products are everywhere. The customers are stupid any way, right?

Or maybe when products are being sold in retail stores that try to sell at the lowest price possible and put every other store chain out of business, the pressure to reduce cost results in inferior products.

What a crazy, mixed up world!

quote:

Originally posted by Chris A:
I was all ready to give Tim a call for some Schaeffer's oil (fully syn in 5 gal jug), but then I stumble on M1 for $3.38 a qt. So, my Schaeffer's experience is going to have to wait a while.

Where at Chris?

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i love neutra and i use 1oz. per gal of gas when i go to the gas station every time..

One ounce per gallon is too strong for regular use, that's the full cleanup dosage.

I disagree, the only thing 1 ounce per gallon of 131 in the fuel will do is hurt your wallet. You are correct that after the initial clean that ratio is not necessary, but I still use 1 oz per 2-3 gallons. This is not some caustic cleaner, it is a UCL with cleaners. JMO

boxcartommie22, how much were the K&N oil filters at AutoZone? I have never seen K&N there before. The only place around here that I know of where you can get K&N is at checker Auto Parts Store. The AutoZone here have been carrying FRAM and Purolator and I think that is it.

About the only oil filters that most auto parts stores carry around here is FRAM, Purolator, and K&N. I have to go out of my way to find Wix or Hastings (although NAPA and CarQuest sell the Wix, of course), and K-Mart does not carry Mobil 1 anymore I do not believe. I don't know of any Amsoil dealers so I would have to order Amsoil.

Anyway, thanks to Patman, I bought a K&N (HP1002) for $9.99 plus tax at the Checker Store.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
I disagree, the only thing 1 ounce per gallon of 131 in the fuel will do is hurt your wallet. You are correct that after the initial clean that ratio is not necessary, but I still use 1 oz per 2-3 gallons. This is not some caustic cleaner, it is a UCL with cleaners. JMO

True, I didn't mean to say it would hurt anything, just that it's not necessary to continue using it at the full dosage since the fuel system should be clean just with doing the one or two big hits, followed by smaller doses in regular intervals.

Patman,
You are correct. I was interpeting strong to mean caustic. I agree, the stronger ratio is not needed after it is cleaned. I still like a little higher ratio for continued dose, but I am also using it my diesel for injector lube. So I tend to get heavy handed. You know me, if a little is good, why not.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I am thinking about going only 3000-4000 miles with the first Schaeffer's oil change, because of possible 'additive clash' that people talk about here. Then I will go 6000 miles with each change. I don't think I will send a sample to the lab until I am in the middle of the second change.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Close to what I did the first time around with Bobzoil. *WARNING*: This oil has a proven tendency to produce excellent analysis results.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back