I have never paid this much for gasoline.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
USD$3.50/gallon here in Saskatchewan, Canada right now.

Don't know what you guys are complaining about. I'd be kissing the ground if I could purchase petrol for the OK or KC price.

Oil demand is nearly outstripping supply, and there is no shortage of refineries. Just wasteful inefficient consumers.

$2.35 around here for unleaded (Central Iowa). I had to pay $2.45 to fill the Z up with premuim the other day.

Sure makes me glad I sold the Jeep and bought the Subaru.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
We need to suck our own oil out of the ground from within our own country's borders. Seems quite simple to me.

Just after I started driving, prices dipped to the $0.69/gal range in the mid-to late 80's. It would be nice to see those prices again!

Given the world market do you really think oil companies owning/creating these domestic wells/refinireis are going to subsidize the price of oil and sell at a cut rate? I understand more supply lowers the price but this increase in supply would have to become substantial to even start lowering the price.

The fuel price seems to be more on par now with the environmental costs and conservation will slowly prevail.

My favorite discount convenience chain store floats with the price of crude ..directly. They get two or three deliveries a day
shocked.gif

The price jumpe over $0.39 in a week. We're now @ $2.47 for regular.

Folks ..perpare for severe economic fall out. These are the end of the good old days.

Since oil is based much on speculation and fear (as most commodities are), I'll be interested to see if this is another record profit year for Chevron and XM.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
My favorite discount convenience chain store floats with the price of crude ..directly. They get two or three deliveries a day
shocked.gif

Howdy Gary! I assume you're refering to WaWa...possibly the Coventry store? If so, I'm makin' a trip out there tonight. Every place in my neck-o-the-woods is over $2.50/GAL.
frown.gif

Lets look at the alternatives:
Hydrogen is a non-starter because of a lack of cheap electricity - see what Al said.
Propane is a possibility, but we would have to turn to imports, not near enough domestic supply.
Alcohol currently consumes more energy to make, than is available out of it. ADM is profitable due to huge federal subsidies.
I thought natural gas was the answer, and it still may be. Unfortunately, us drivers were too slow to exploit this, and we were beaten to the supply by the electrical power guys. Almost all new electrical power plants are natural gas turbine powered, as this is the cheapest plant to put in. Excess natural gas capacity is gone, and we are now setting up to import CNG from Venezuela.

So we are back to gasoline and diesel. Refining capacity has been flat for many years, as the refinery guys were waiting on a bigger profit margin to fund new construction. The bigger profit margin is here, thanks to increased consumption and tight supply (the refinery guys LOVE the SUV drivers). New construction is finally happening, but bringing the new plants online is YEARS away.

BTW, the oil company record profits are almost all upstream, not downstream and refining. Even crappy marginal wells are being fracted and flooded to get all the oil out.

The bottom line is for the next few years; gas prices will continue to rise. How much is the question
shocked.gif

When I left on vacation regular unleaded in Wausau was $2.50 per gallon. It was $2.35 in Illinois when I filled up and $2.17 per gallon at a TA truck stop in Missouri. Prices varied between $2.30 to $2.42 in Oklahoma and Texas. When I returned home last night the regular unleaded was $2.66. It will hit $3.00 before the end of the year, then it will go down to about $2.50 and stay, until next Spring. Hang on boys, it won't be long before we are paying $1.00 per quart for gasoline.
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OMCWankel:
Almost all new electrical power plants are natural gas turbine powered, as this is the cheapest plant to put in.

The ones that ODEC (Old Dominion Electric Cooperative) has built are all peaker plants, designed only to operate during the periods of heaviest electrical demand.

Are there any natural gas turbine plants operating 24x7x365? The electricity produced by them would be very expensive--the only way the ODEC plants are cost-effective is that they allow ODEC to avoid buying electricity at high peak rates. Other than that, they sit idle.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by OMCWankel:
Almost all new electrical power plants are natural gas turbine powered, as this is the cheapest plant to put in.

The ones that ODEC (Old Dominion Electric Cooperative) has built are all peaker plants, designed only to operate during the periods of heaviest electrical demand.

Are there any natural gas turbine plants operating 24x7x365? The electricity produced by them would be very expensive--the only way the ODEC plants are cost-effective is that they allow ODEC to avoid buying electricity at high peak rates. Other than that, they sit idle.

You are correct, brian1703. Most of the new construction is peaker units, but some are 24X7X365. The old dynamic of pump up the storage caverns during the summer, and draw out during the winter, has been affected. This would indicate enough peaker plants running during the summer to serously slow the pump up dynamic, as reported to me by our clients. This is a double whammy in the winter, as the gas furnaces turn on at the same time as the peaker plants turn on (supplying the electric heaters). Things got real hairy last winter as the pipeline grid was occasionally maxed out in capacity, almost to the shortage stage. The solution (at least for now) is to pump up the storage caverns in the summer, by using Venezuela CNG and bringing on line new wells.

One thing is for sure, our energy needs are going nowhere but up, and we do not have enough domestic capacity to satisfy the demand
patriot.gif

Energy shortages that will only get worse.

Urban sprawl covering once-fertile ground used to grow food.

Parts of the USA with water shortages.

Tell me, then, why the politicians do nothing to stop the highest legal immigration rate in our history (check the statistics, it is true) and look the other way regarding MILLIONS of illegal aliens?

We are doomed if the politicos don't get really serious about affairs really quick.

quote:

quote:Originally posted by Gary Allan:
My favorite discount convenience chain store floats with the price of crude ..directly. They get two or three deliveries a day [Eek!]

Howdy Gary! I assume you're refering to WaWa...possibly the Coventry store? If so, I'm makin' a trip out there tonight. Every place in my neck-o-the-woods is over $2.50/GAL. [Frown]

Actually the one in Douglassville. About (typically) a dime cheaper than the one in North Coventry. There's a small zone along 422 that seems to be cheaper than anywhere else.

It jumped again to $2.51 last night
frown.gif

Now I gotta give up our weekly Greek style "House Special" pizza just to break even for the week on energy costs
mad.gif
What will happen when the heating season hits
confused.gif
What fond distraction will I have to abandon???

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
Energy shortages that will only get worse.

Urban sprawl covering once-fertile ground used to grow food.

Parts of the USA with water shortages.

Tell me, then, why the politicians do nothing to stop the highest legal immigration rate in our history (check the statistics, it is true) and look the other way regarding MILLIONS of illegal aliens?

We are doomed if the politicos don't get really serious about affairs really quick.

The politicians keep getting reelected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

Maybe current events is a blessing in disguise and will finally inspire our soccer moms to rethink their current preferred people moving strategy.
code:

2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES EPA Ratings

HONDA Odyssey 2WD... Auto-5 ... 3.5-V6 ... 20 City/28 Highway

Expedition 2WD...... Auto-4 ... 5.4-V8 ... 14 City/19 Highway

The old supply and demand routine.

Our price hit as high as 102.1 cents per liter after crude peaked last week, but now that crude is coming down, our gas prices reacted instantly, and this morning it's now 99.3 cents per liter at most of the stations in Toronto. Our market is unique, it does indeed go up and down in step with the price of crude oil. It's also unique in the fact that every morning you'll see 99% of the gas stations at the exact same price, but as the day progresses they'll drop down, some of them as much as 10 or even 15 cents per liter! That is a HUGE difference between morning and night (a 15 cent drop per liter is like a 46 cent US per gallon drop in price!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back