I have decided to give GC a try in the new Audi 2.0T FSI motor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking at UOA reports and also confirming the newest GC does indeed meet qualifictions for VW 502 with a HTHS of 3.5 I decided to go ahead and fill with it at the time of my latest turbo swap...

-

-

The car is a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T FSI that has a 5 quart sump and upgraded turbo charger with no cat and full exhaust. Since my oil change intervals are only 1K to 5K miles depending on conditions, I figure stepping down to a 0w-30 may be ok to do. Just to clarify there is rumor that GC 0w-30 is factory fill for Audi and it is not. Audi factory fills with a 5w-40 oil. But i'm hoping this oil will provide the protection I need while possibly freeing up 5hp or so. I'll do some analysis to see if it hold up. Thanks for the help you all have given.

cheers! Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Doc Mike:
But i'm hoping this oil will provide the protection I need while possibly freeing up 5hp or so.

I'll be interested to hear about any HP gain. I run GC in the winter and Motul 8100 in the summer in our 2.0T. The GC is a thick 30 that doesn't feel any different than the 0w-40.

The GC will do perfectly fine in the 2.0T. I'd use 5k miles as a starting point for OCI and use UOA as my guide for further extending drain.

If you were to have the Euro emissions system, you ought to be using VW 504 low SAPS oil (all 5W-30 as far as I know) to ensure long emissions component life. But since your car doesn't even have a cat, fuggedaboutit.
grin.gif

I'll be interested too. True the GC is thick for a 30 but the viscosity is at 12.1 versus the M1 0w-40 at 14.3. Who knows? Could be nothing or could be good for a couple horsepower. My options for power were..

GC 0w-30 at 12.1 with a HTHS of 3.5 (PAO/Ester)
Redline 5w-30 at 10.6 with a HTHS of 3.8 (Polyol Ester)
Motul 300v 5w-30 at 11 with a HTHS of 3.6 (Polyol Ester and Complex Esters)

My dealership refuses to warrant Redline and the Motul is awefully expensive so I settled on GC as a try.

cheers! Mike

Thanks moribundman,

For some reason Audi still specs VW 502 for the US 2.0T. They do not use the lean burn as they thought they might on the 2.0T. They use a regular homgenous operation for it. So the dealers are still requiring VW 502 for the new FSI motors. There are only a few 30 oils on the list. Must be tough for them to hit the HTHS of 3.5 on the 30? cheers! mike

My 2002 Audi 1.8t manual CLEARLY stated it was filled with 0w-30 from the factory. iirc, you said your manual "recommeded" 5w-40, not that it was filled with 5w-40, correct? Can you clearly state your source that contradicts our "rumour"?

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
My 2002 Audi 1.8t manual CLEARLY stated it was filled with 0w-30 from the factory. iirc, you said your manual "recommeded" 5w-40, not that it was filled with 5w-40, correct? Can you clearly state your source that contradicts our "rumour"?

Hmmmm my friend also has a 2002 A4. Can easily clear this up with some facts . . .

I think Mike saw the same pdf as I saw. . . . stated that all of the Audi / VW 1.8ts were factory filled with Castrol 5w40 Magnatec.

Dave

My 2002 Audi TT (225 Hp) also came factory filled with SAE 0w-30 and 5w-30/5w-40 are listed as options for year round use.

In reality, anything from a 0w-30 to a 20w-50 synthetic will probably work fine in these motors, depending on ambient temps.

The GC should be just fine...I run the Amsoil 0w-30 down here in the deep south and no issues with oil consumption, oil pressure, etc.

TS

quote:

quote:

Hmmmm my friend also has a 2002 A4. Can easily clear this up with some facts . . .

I already did.
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, but after your recent rants on the other forum with your so-called "facts", I'd like to see a picture or factory PDF that affirms your position.

Not saying that you might not be correct, but I just want proof.

Dave

quote:

First, I don't think it's everybody's rumor. I am meaning to post factual information not offend people. I would see if you can find that manual and please post a pic of it. It does not state that in the B6 and B7 A4 1.8t and 2.0t manual. It states 5w-40 is the recommended viscosity and only when that cannot be found it is ok to substitute with 5w-30 or 0w-40. In fact, it says 0w-30 is NOT an approved viscosity. It states only 5w-30, 5w-40, and 0w-40 are approved viscosities...

-

And the only VW 502 part number listed by Audi as the Audi/VW oil is the following 5w-40 part number...

-

Hope that helps. I have not seen any manuals that require VW 502 (all recent Audi/VW) that states 0w-30 is factory fill but maybe some one here can post their manuuals are diff from the ones here. Thanks.

cheers! Mike

Audi apparently changes over time. My 2004 A6 with the 2.7T clearly states it came from the factory filled with 0W-30.

Umm, Doc Mike, what does a NA owner's manual recommended viscs have to do with factory-fill?

They are not the same thing, are you claiming they are?

Here is what you originally posted, as "fact":

quote:

Just to clarify there is rumor that GC 0w-30 is factory fill for Audi and it is not. Audi factory fills with a 5w-40 oil.

You don't have any reference materials on factory-fill, why attempt to arrogantly dismiss our "rumour" without basis?
dunno.gif
If you now understand that you were wrong, it would be appropriate to say so, rather than try to further support your spurious claim.
rolleyes.gif

AJ

quote:

Umm, Doc Mike, what does a NA owner's manual recommended viscs have to do with factory-fill?

They are not the same thing, are you claiming they are?

Here is what you originally posted, as "fact":

quote:

Just to clarify there is rumor that GC 0w-30 is factory fill for Audi and it is not. Audi factory fills with a 5w-40 oil.

You don't have any reference materials on factory-fill, why attempt to arrogantly dismiss our "rumour" without basis?
dunno.gif
If you now understand that you were wrong, it would be appropriate to say so, rather than try to further support your spurious claim.
rolleyes.gif

AJ

Again, I dont see it as "everyone's" rumor. If you are meaning to say that you believe it is factory fill, ok. As you can see the 0w-30 has not been approved as a viscosity since at least 2004.5 when the oil sludge letters came out for the Audi 1.8t and 2.0t. And as you can see from the approved Audi/VW oils for the world (not just USA) the Audi/VW p/n for their own factory oil is referencing a 5w-40 oil. I am open to your information that shows the factory fill is GC 0w-30 (not sure why it would be as GC 0w-30 is a NA oil different from Edge, LongTec, etc.). Please post it up for me as it would be helpful. Thanks. cheers! Mike

quote:

So, as the only 0w-30 with VW 502 and the fact that owner's manuals CLEARLY states 0w-30 as Factory-Fill, with Castol being the Official oil of Audi...it's a slam-dunk that GC is a Factory-Fill oil for Audi. As for 0w-30 not being an "approved viscosity", maybe Mike should be alerting Castrol they are miss-representing their product with a 2006 date stamp and VW 502 on the bottle....because Mike knows "for a fact" it's not an "approved viscosity".
lol.gif

You do see the photo of the owners manual I posted didnt you? Can you show me where it says it is the factory fill. And you do see the OEM part number for the Audi/VW oil as a 5w-40 dont you? Can you post your data showing the North American oil GC 0w-30 (an unapproved viscosity) as the factory fill over in Germany? If you are claiming this is the case i'd be happy to listen to your evidences for this but all you seem to be doing is making rude sarcastic remarks with false data. Again, i'm very happen to see any real data at all you have...any...at all. cheers! Mike

From what I see, you have no materials that reference Factory-Fill WHAT SO EVER, but decend onto the the GC Forum, to declare:

"Just to clarify there is rumor that GC 0w-30 is factory fill for Audi and it is not. Audi factory fills with a 5w-40 oil"

Although three veteran Members report their Audi manuals CLEARLY state: "Factory-Filled with 0w-30" (what you call "false data"), you dismiss them as liars or incompetents in favour of your theory of another oil visc that's recommended in 2006 for the consumer to use, therefore means that 0w-30 has not been used as Factory-Fill, and imply the membership here is stupid or at least ignorant to believe their silly little "rumours".

I say that since you aspire to make the membership here look silly and stupid, the burden is on you, as a noob, to provide some reference material that even mentions Factory-Fill before you begin to contradict what are known facts. Can you do that or is all you have to base your accusations on is a visc recommendation from 2006 for consumer use to disprove GC was used at the time Audi manuals claim 0w-30 as Factory-Fill? Even better, can you suggest another 0w-30 oil that was used or are you asserting that it was not?
Anyone here with a brain realizes that 0w-30 was not "recommended" because it generally means a thinner "unapproved" oil and AoA has caused more than enough confusion with it's customers. Just because 0w-30 is not "recommeded" does not mean it's not "approved", see the difference?

Now, since you like lists and making asumptions, here's a little busy work for you. Both AoA's and VAG's "Approved" list states that SynPower 5w-30 is "Approved" while it is not thick enough nor approved in it's NA formulation. Why in the World would you let this happen? How can a LIST be less than perfect?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back