I Have An Idea, But, Still Seeking Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 V6, 214K Miles

This is my g/f's friends car. My g/f asked me to check the fluids under the hood of her friends Chevy Malibu. The oil was very very black and smelled like gas. When it dripped from the dipstick it dripped like water, not thick at all. And, the car had not been run for 3 days.
She said that she lets Jiffy Lube change the oil. From the looks of the filter I bet JL probably has not changed the oil filter in awhile, if ever! She said she has to add a qt. of oil about every 2K miles.
So, I was thinking of doing a 3K mile OCI cleaning with some PYB 10W30 and a Purolator L10111 oil filter. Opinions?

I would try Maxlife 10W30 with better filter like Wix, NAPA Gold or Fram Tough Guard for 2-3 short OCI's of around 3-4k, then extend OCI to 5-6k.

A poorly-maintained Malibu with 214k miles is a ticking time bomb. Just bear in mind that any mechanical failures after you work on it will be your fault.

Sounds like a good plan

While your under the hood, pull the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator and wait, see if it's spitting fuel out.

Depending on access, a PCV valve wouldn't be the worst idea in an attempt to cure oil consumption

My anecdotal theory is that it's been running so rich so long, fuel has washed the rings, hense the consumption.

Jiffy Lube here in VA uses PYB for no extra charge. PYB or Formula Shell - both the same price. Just let JL keep it changed, even if she goes in there every 3k. Get a quart or two of top off oil for her at Walmart, it's good to go. A 200k, 17 yr old beater has pretty much already served it's purpose, it's on extended play now.

A quart in 2K isn't that bad for a 214K engine that has probably not had the most rigourous maintenance through its life.
At least the owner is apparently checking the oil level and adding some as needed.
This engine may not be in need of cleaning. The oil may simply have been run too long.
Baseline it by changing the oil using PYB or any other quality oil as well as a good oil filter.
See how it goes after that.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
1998 Chevy Malibu, 3.1 V6, 214K Miles

She said that she lets Jiffy Lube change the oil. From the looks of the filter I bet JL probably has not changed the oil filter in awhile, if ever! She said she has to add a qt. of oil about every 2K miles.

They may not have changed the oil either.

My guess is its a lack of timely oil changes rather than JL doing the work. Take it there and have them do the work.

If you marry the gal, then you can take over maint. of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My guess is its a lack of timely oil changes rather than JL doing the work. Take it there and have them do the work.

Marry the owner of the car or my g/f?
shocked.gif

Both
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdavis

Both
laugh.gif

No, no, nooooo...
An extra woman who you have to take car shopping soon?
crazy2.gif
Bad deal.

Last edited:
Sounds like potential leaking injector(s)-think thick, like maybe even a 10W40 or an HDEO 15W40 (if it will start in winter with it) & keep it changed. That fuel in the oil will eventually kill a bearing.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Sounds like potential leaking injector(s)-think thick, like maybe even a 10W40 or an HDEO 15W40 (if it will start in winter with it) & keep it changed. That fuel in the oil will eventually kill a bearing.

This sounds like a great idea. Run either one of these for about 5K miles, drain, and use PYB 10W30 or 10W40 with an AC DELCO PF 47 filter.
And, being that NAPA has CHEVRON TECHRON fuel system cleaner on sale I can add a couple of bottles of that to the gas tank to clean the injectors.

This past weekend I went to WM to buy the oil and filter. I chose PYB 10W30 with the Purolator Classic L10111 oil filter.
A friend of mine did the OCI. Upon startup to drive the car onto the ramps the engine was making a very nasty tapping sound that went away after about 10 seconds. When he drained the oil it was coming out as thin as water. When he removed the oil filter it fell into the oil drain pan. I did not feel like fishing it out.
We pre-filled the new filter with oil and installed it. Upon startup there was NO ticking at all, and the engine sounded 100 times better! We drove it for about 10 minutes, let it sit for awhile, then checked the oil. The oil was a little dark and was not gold like new oil is supposed to be. This engine is dirty within!
I told her to let me know when she has driven 3K miles and we will do another OCI.
We also bought 2 bottles of the Techron fuel system cleaner from NAPA and poured them in the gas tank. They are $3.49 each during the month of August and will treat up to 12 gallons of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back