I have a question for draftsmen or those familiar with SketchUp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to draw up a small part for a slot car front end to be 3D printed. The problem I'm running into is that I've got some areas that aren't filled in and am struggling with some through holes. My question is if I don't draw it so that say the base plate appears completely solid, will the 3D printer leave that area hollow? If so, is there someone familiar enough to help me fill those areas in?

After creating your 3D part in SketchUp. Export your SketchUp file as an .stl. You will need the .stl plug/extension installed for this in sketchup.

Use push/pull tool for through holes. Hollow area may be a problem, but if wall/surfaces are closed, I think you will be good.

When you bring your .stl file into your 3D printer program you'll be able to pick the % of fill.

Last edited:
Never used SketchUp, just ProEngineer and Inventor. It sounds like you're modeling a surface. At some point, you need to "close" it and make it a solid model. After you do this, you won't need to worry about any hollow areas.

Bumping this back up - I have it done(ish) and need to save the file as a X3G. SketchUp won't do that and I'm having a hard time finding a program that will and run in Linux. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back