I have a leak!

Well, no...my Caddy has a leak. The gas tank is seeping...between this, a bunch of corrosion, and the fact it's 40 years old, it is getting replaced.

Anyone know of a decent brand, that is not from China?

I doubt you'll find a nos tank. Chinese wouldn't be my first choice, but at least it's new. Inspect the tank for poor seams and spot welds carefully before installing

When I had to buy parts for my 300ZX,I found a lot of nos oem parts sources though online Z forums. I wonder if any classic Cadillac forums could maybe lead to to some sources? I'd give that a shot.

Part #22514526 may be available at Vintage Parts Inc., a company in WI that buys up obsolete parts. I looked up a 1987 Brougham to get that number, it says it's for export markets/leaded fuel in the notes.

By the way, a local GM dealer should be able to order it for you from VPI with no shipping charge, but you will want to verify pricing with them because GM listed this thing at $644.28 when it was discontinued. VPI's online retail price is very good and not much more than I would pay as a dealer, but I'm not sure what they charge retail customers for shipping.

Last edited:
Part #22514526 may be available at Vintage Parts Inc., a company in WI that buys up obsolete parts. I looked up a 1987 Brougham to get that number, it says it's for export markets/leaded fuel in the notes.

By the way, a local GM dealer should be able to order it for you from VPI with no shipping charge, but you will want to verify pricing with them because GM listed this thing at $644.28 when it was discontinued. VPI's online retail price is very good and not much more than I would pay as a dealer, but I'm not sure what they charge retail customers for shipping.
Vintage is awesome!! I have been charged shipping from them before, but it was on a fairly large and heavy part and even then it was reasonable.

You may be able to find a tank repair shop local to you and end up in a better situation. Ours was a radiator and fuel tank repair shop but they closed up recently.

We use cheap tanks in our fleet and they come back within months leaking at the seams. Not every one, but too many do leak. The ones that make it awhile still only last a matter of years, where the leaking originals were upwards of 30 years old.

You may be able to find a tank repair shop local to you and end up in a better situation. Ours was a radiator and fuel tank repair shop but they closed up recently.

We use cheap tanks in our fleet and they come back within months leaking at the seams. Not every one, but too many do leak. The ones that make it awhile still only last a matter of years, where the leaking originals were upwards of 30 years old.

There is NOBODY around here who will repair a gas tank...and mine is probably beyond repair. (It has been repaired at least once.) The EPA closed all of them years ago. My options seem to be Spectra (3 year warranty) or Dorman.

You might check your local boneyards for a southern tank. Otherwise, I have used Spectra. I ran that tank through five years of winter salt and there was no rust on it at all. That's about all I can recommend with Spectra.

There is NOBODY around here who will repair a gas tank...and mine is probably beyond repair. (It has been repaired at least once.) The EPA closed all of them years ago. My options seem to be Spectra (3 year warranty) or Dorman.
I’d get the Spectra then. That’s a decent warranty they offer.

Back