I hate rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife just pointed out that our tv if all things is rusting. Granted it is but inches from a small freshwater fish tank. But still. Would not have guess that we would be fighting rust inside the house.

Is Fluid Film safe on electronics?

laugh.gif

Rust, what's that Lol. I rotated the tires on the Beetle today. Front brakes are original and 10 years old with 159k miles. Rear brakes are 3 years old with 53k miles. It's so nice not having corrosion here. It's ok supton, you can be jealous
wink.gif

Front brakes
2qv7cs6.jpg

2d7as0z.jpg

Rear brakes
2z870ug.jpg

Yikes! Mine look worse than that after a month.

I had to break loose the Camry rims yesterday. Probably been on for a year. One rim broke after loosening he lugs and some cornering, the other refused. Had to use a gear puller and a hammer. I gooped it with antisieze and installed.

Today it was frozen again...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Rust, what's that Lol. I rotated the tires on the Beetle today. Front brakes are original and 10 years old with 159k miles. Rear brakes are 3 years old with 53k miles. It's so nice not having corrosion here. It's ok supton, you can be jealous
wink.gif

Those look beautiful! Of course you're living in a place where the population would all be dead if not for marvels of modern pumping and river diverting... Lack of rain has its advantages, but it may also have some expensive disadvantages if the population keeps growing...

Originally Posted By: supton
Yikes! Mine look worse than that after a month.

I had to break loose the Camry rims yesterday. Probably been on for a year. One rim broke after loosening he lugs and some cornering, the other refused. Had to use a gear puller and a hammer. I gooped it with antisieze and installed.

My Camry was originally a Colorado car, was the only car that I had to give a kick to one of the tires to get off. Every other car I've taken tires off of (lots of) give absolutely 0 problems, they have no issues coming off.

Originally Posted By: supton

I have had to take off wheel bolts and drive figure-8's to get wheel off before. After this I started cleaning the interface with emery cloth and then coating it with a thin film of cheap white grease. After safety inspection I remount wheels the tech removed just to do this. Have had no more problems.

Same here after a tough wheel removal on the Corolla. I always clean with a brass wire brush, wipe and thin film of grease on the mating surfaces. Don't forget the hub spindle.
I was told years ago by a reputable Toyota Tech. that the tolerances are tighter on Toyotas than most vehicles.

Last edited:
Yep, I got into that habit years ago on my Jetta, as it's alloys would freeze. I just forgot on the last Camry rotation. That and I had skipped a rotation as the tires were getting thin.

Live and learn. Gooped now.

Last week I decided to divest myself of my 23 year old winter daily driver (91 Grand Marquis). It seems that 90% of the work I do on it is related to rust, and I foresee more of these problems in the future. Even the brake lines I replaced 7 years ago will soon need replacing again. I can't keep up with the repairs.

Too much of the vehicle has dissolved, even with the rustproofing regimen I use. The body isn't yet perforated, though it has a lot of rust that started on the outside.

I hose down my Toyotas last year with FF, and I'm not sure it did much. I see more rust this year. I'll use it for another year, but I think it is just delaying the inevitable. Oh well. Drive enough that I probably won't mind.

Yep, I hate rust too. I'm starting to see perforation on 7-8 year old vehicles around here, and smaller signs on 4-5 year old cars. New cars don't need rustproofing my kiester!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
wink.gif

Those look beautiful! Of course you're living in a place where the population would all be dead if not for marvels of modern pumping and river diverting... Lack of rain has its advantages, but it may also have some expensive disadvantages if the population keeps growing...

True...without massive amounts of electricity (summer A/C) and water, the folks in that area would not be able to call that region habitable.
I don't think any serious interruption of that would be likely, but I'm not sure most people stop and really think about it.

Last edited:
I bought a desert car about 3 months ago, under carriage looked new, took it and had Krown rust proofing applied. We shall see.

My rotors rust within 2 days of sitting. I live about 500' from salt water. Our gas grills only seem to last about 3-4 years in this salty air. Water is pretty at least!

Isn't it? Seems like the vacations I take wind up on the water somehow--up to Acadia or down to the Cape. Wish I had a better view of the lake behind us, although I certainly wouldn't want the tax bump.

What the heck is rusting on the TV?

I've got 4 fish tanks in the house and zero rust. Outdoors? Not so much!

FWIW, I can't find brake parts that look that good out of the box!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back