I hate rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was working on a 04' Civic VP yesterday. Both parking brake cables/emergency brake cables were splaying and or rusting apart. That and did rear drums and shoes and hardware. Not fun. Anyone hate rust as much as I do? Glad I am not in IN where my father is still at.

I hate rust a lot.
That is why I Krown my car annually and wash it every week in the winter. Luckily my routine keeps my cars pretty clean, but buying an older second hand car with unknown history can be frustrating because most people just don't care.

I've lived in the sunbelt most of my life, but yeah, I'm with you. I wouldn't think of buying a car with any rust on it. I've taken to using Salt Away on the undercarriage with a sprayer and sometimes getting at it at the coin operated carwash.

If I bought a car within 120 miles of the border, I would take it up there and get it Krowned.

I have two daily drivers - a high-end summer car and a low-end winter car. 90% of the repairs on my winter car are related to corrosion (e.g., fuel line, brake line, fuel tank, ignition coil), even though I rustproof it regularly.

Originally Posted By: Tomcat_80
I was working on a 04' Civic VP yesterday. Both parking brake cables/emergency brake cables were splaying and or rusting apart. That and did rear drums and shoes and hardware. Not fun. Anyone hate rust as much as I do? Glad I am not in IN where my father is still at.

What do you hate most, rusted parts, rusted brake lines, rusted frame, rusted fenders? We have them all and more in NY.

That's why I'm trying to slow it down by spraying both cars with Fluid Film since new. Time will tell if it works or not.

I can't recall how much time/energy I've spent in replacing rusty parts. It's been a lot.

I would rather drive on snow and ice rather than salt. When you add up the damage salt causes collectively to all the cars, trucks, roads, bridges, etc. I think it costs more in the long run, plus all the vehicles coming at you with brake lines, leaky wheels, and suspension parts ready to fail from corrosion at the worst time. Winter tires and slow down. If everyone was careful, which I know will never happen, you could drive on ice all winter and not crash. If anything, just treat problem areas, not every square in. of road 2 days before it even snows like they do here. Plus it seems when they spray all the roads before hand it causes more ice, because instead of the snow blowing off the road when windy and cold, it hits the salt turns to ice immediately.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
Ditto bigtime!
whip said:
Try living up north.
[/quote) I lived in both in PA.& NY., also Ohio, that is why I stayed in Oklahoma, not any salt except for the larger cities. Sometimes we have little or no snow in the winter.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I would rather drive on snow and ice rather than salt. When you add up the damage salt causes collectively to all the cars, trucks, roads, bridges, etc. I think it costs more in the long run, plus all the vehicles coming at you with brake lines, leaky wheels, and suspension parts ready to fail from corrosion at the worst time. Winter tires and slow down. If everyone was careful, which I know will never happen, you could drive on ice all winter and not crash. If anything, just treat problem areas, not every square in. of road 2 days before it even snows like they do here. Plus it seems when they spray all the roads before hand it causes more ice, because instead of the snow blowing off the road when windy and cold, it hits the salt turns to ice immediately.

Amen.

Back in the 90s I read a study on road salt shown to me by a friend working at the State DOT. They had tested a non corrosive replacement, which worked slightly better than the salt; but they decided not to use it since its cost was 3x as much. The study also mentioned that the cost of all the corrosion to vehicles, bridges and other road structures and damage to the environment far outweighed the increased cost, but that budgetary restrictions required the use of the less expensive road treatment.

what is this rust you speak of?
smile.gif

While driving through the mountains of WV last year I couldn't believe how many fairly recent (2000 or newer) cars had a decent amount of rust on them. I freaked out this spring when I got under my Saturn and saw a couple of tiny rust spots. Then I remembered those cars and thought my Saturn probably only has another 50 years till my car will be eaten up by rust.

Originally Posted By: 94astro
Ditto bigtime!
whip said:
Try living up north.
[/quote) I lived in both in PA.& NY., also Ohio, that is why I stayed in Oklahoma, not any salt except for the larger cities. Sometimes we have little or no snow in the winter.

Oklahoma...the tornado capital of the U.S.

Just to play devil's advocate:

I think sand is more expensive, and not quite as effective? I know when I used to live in Maine the problem with sand was not so much the sand but the gravel that tended to get used. That tended to make rock chips, which no one likes either.

Moving on, if less salt and/or sand was used, what are the odds that people would a) buy good snow/ice tires for winter or b) stay home? vs c) buy an AWD vehicle that gets less mpg and isn't that helpful when it comes to turning/stopping, and continue on using "all seasons" 'cuz, you know, they're meant for snow, that's one of the seasons.

I know the average age of the fleet is rising, but I'm not sure most people care that their vehicles are rusting out long before wearing out. They want to stay in warrant, and want to ditch it long before rust would be a problem anyhow. And the roads had better be good and clean and slip-free for them too!

rustcheck, corrosion X, Krown and fluid film are pretty cheap you guys. no need to let salt affect you THAT much

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: 94astro
Ditto bigtime!
whip said:
Try living up north.

Oklahoma...the tornado capital of the U.S.
That's OK-here in Ohio we get tornadoes AND salt!!!

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: Traction

Amen.

Back in the 90s I read a study on road salt shown to me by a friend working at the State DOT. They had tested a non corrosive replacement, which worked slightly better than the salt; but they decided not to use it since its cost was 3x as much. The study also mentioned that the cost of all the corrosion to vehicles, bridges and other road structures and damage to the environment far outweighed the increased cost, but that budgetary restrictions required the use of the less expensive road treatment.

If everyone spent $400 on a set of snow tires every 4 years, then we wouldn't have to spend $20000 every 8 years on a completely new vehicle.

But, because people won't spend money on tires,they have to spread a highly corrosive mateiral on the road.

Hate it

Originally Posted By: sciphi
That's why I'm trying to slow it down by spraying both cars with Fluid Film since new. Time will tell if it works or not.

I can't recall how much time/energy I've spent in replacing rusty parts. It's been a lot.

I am doing the exact same thing. I just put a second coat on the Sunfire and wow, now it really looks like a nice thick, protective coating! I am thinking this will protect me through the winter and then in the spring I am going to thoroughly wash the undercarriage again and apply another coat. Just 1 coat of fluid film does not seem good enough for me at this point.

I hate rust!

My firebird managed 24 years with its original brake lines, but as I'm restoring it over the winter figured a couple shabby rusty ones had to go.

Turns out the tubing nut hopelessly locked into the rubber hose, and the caliper bleeder won't move either.

Fortunately, calipers for this thing are only $13, before coupons! So I'll have it all new from the pedal to the wheel.

Even frame rust doesn't bug me too badly when it's something like a cab mount that can be stick welded up with scrap parts. But something like a unibody where they engineered in specific bracing in specific parts, I wouldn't feel safe fixing and being sure I had up to spec.

What gets me is when they have a choice between plastic or steel gas tanks, nylon or steel lines, and they choose rust-able over non-rustable seemingly willy-nilly. People will buy new cars due to rust; they don't have to make safety systems the first to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back