I hate changing the oil in my Ford!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always change the oil in my wifes Toyota. M1 with OEM filter. I kinda enjoy it and I know its done right with quality materials. I dont spill a drop of oil and I recycle my oil and filters. Piece of cake.

I just finished changing oil in my new to me 2000 Expedition. Chevron supreme dino and pure one filter. It was terrible. The filter is impossible to get at and it drips everywhere! No fun here at all and messy as can be. Certainly not as environmental as I like in the treatment of the oil.

Is it really the end of the world if I take the Expedtion to Wal-Mart and let them get messy. They use Pennzoil and Fram filters. If I change every 3k will it really be a big deal. I can always do the $2.00 extra and have them use Chevron supreme out of the bottle rather than bulk penz.

Please don't make me go back under the Expedition
lol.gif

The pennzoil is fine but make them use a super tech filter it should be the same price or cheaper since the shelf price is cheaper on the super tech even though its a better filter than the fram.

The worst I ever did was on a '79 T-Bird that my uncle had. When you took the drain plug out the oil would shoot straight at the crossmember and spray everywhere until half was gone and the flow slowed down. I changed his oil just the one time.

Dare I say you are not a true oil man if you dont like getting messy. As long As I dont create the Puget Sound oil disaster in my driveway I love gettin gin there and dirty. OF course im also under there with a grease gun checking steering linkege and what not as well.

How about putting a fumoto type of fitting so as to direct the oil or install a hose on the end of the valve ? Just an idea. That is what happens when you get an evil suv
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Steve S,

Its not the oil pan, its the filter location. I was thinking about a oil filter relocation kit. My SUV is big and evil but for my 6'8" 250# body it is a mighty comfy fit. My wifes Toyota Matrix gets close to 40 mpg but I can only wedge myself in it for a hour or so. I wish I could get a VW Golf TDI or a Toyota Prius but we are talkin serious pain to wedge my clydesdale body in there
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by khager:
The pennzoil is fine but make them use a super tech filter it should be the same price or cheaper since the shelf price is cheaper on the super tech even though its a better filter than the fram.

Sounds good to me. After all millions of vehicles survive quick lube places and last about as well as the most meticulously maintained ones.

If you do decide to try one more time, pick up one of the filter sockets to fit your filter. Surely you can find an extension to reach it with.

I will confine my anti SUV remarks to the proper thread.

I am definitely NOT an oilman. If I were the wealthy sort. It would get sent to the shop every time.

Reality check, I am not wealthy so I prefer the term cheapskate or the politically correct term "frugal"..ha..ha..
fruit.gif

I would go for the filter relocation before I would trust my expensive SUV to the quick change guys. How about trying a different approach to reaching the filter. Can you drive it up on ramps and make it any easier?
cheers.gif

Yeah, when the oil shoots out at you like a shower that's pretty bad...then there's the dreaded filter location...we had an `84 Volvo 240T that had the filter directly under the exhaust manifold! Removing meant third degree burns every time unless you waited 3 hours for the cast iron manifolds to come down in temp. to about 100F...

I'd take the resourceful route and start by draining the oil, then make a cardboard chute to direct the oil from the filter. Once you have layed the chute across the suspension arm or whatever it is that is so complicated under there you can poke or drill a hole in the filter to drain it. I've found that turning the steering wheel full lock to either the left or right (depending on the vehicle) helps with moving steering parts out of the way and with giving access to the filter itself. You can determine how much flow you want by the size of the hole. This whole process adds only 10 minutes to the oil change and keeps your vehicle cleaner and prevents immediate oil drips on your nice clean driveway
grin.gif

Here is a pic of a 2001 Ford F150 Supercrew that is oned by Greencrew: Filter changes look pretty easy to me!

As far as oil changes, what are those?

crap image won't load, I'll have to put it on my server when I get home. sorry.

[ October 14, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: msparks ]

Changing the oil filter on our first car was a lot of fun ! Nearly new 4 cyl '74 vega stationwagon. Was fast though. Fast at burning oil out that fine aluminum block setup.

[ October 14, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:
I'd take the resourceful route and start by draining the oil, then make a cardboard chute to direct the oil from the filter.

I do something similar, but I use aluminum foil instead. When I'm finished, I just ball it up and chuck it (zips up flame suit for attack from mutant treehuggers
grin.gif
).

Enigma, it seems like your Ford/Toyota situation is the opposite of mine. My Mustang is low and has 2 pan drain plugs, but the filter is easy to get at and doesn't drip too badly when you remove it if you do it correctly. The Toyota otoh is miserable with a stock filter. The drain is easy, but the filter is not even visible from the top. Your choices are to remove the inner fender and break about 1/2 the plastic fasteners each time, or remove 7 bolts to take off both skid plates. Even with the skids off the oil still runs all over the front crossmember and differential. I put a remote filter mount on it because it was such a pita.

You can buy the Permacool remote mounts like I've been using for around $50. Add another $75-100 if you want to use AN lines and fittings instead of the rubber hoses and barb fittings that come with the adapter kits. The other bonus with them is you end up with a "large Ford" type filter out of the deal tho that's probably already what you have stock...

[ October 14, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I just changed the oil on my '97 F150 (4x4 4.6L) for the first time, which is the same as your Expedition. I had to remove the front skid plate only (4 screws) to get at the filter (from ahead of the K-member), and as Jsharp states, the oil does run down over the front third member once removed, I'm gonna try some disposable shop towels over the third member next time to combat this problem. This is not the best filter location I've delt with, but its not the worst either. A remote filter kit and or extended drains might be a bonus for these rigs. I just put M1 10w30 in mine with Napa gold filter.

What are the engineers smoking when they come up with some of those installations? Of course when the car is assembled, the filter and drain plug are already installed before the engine mates with the rest of the car.

Mom's Dodge Ram van has the drain plug right next to the exhaust crossover pipe. You cannot even fit a socket wrench between them and there is plenty of smoke afterwards.

My old Toyota pickup had the filter located where you could not reach eaisily from above or below. Once you got it loose it would run oil all over the front (4x4) axle and the drips would run all over the place.

The Ford Fiesta had the oil filter located up against the firewall and right above the cat converter, lots of smoke.

I may try the shop towel trick myself with the Cavalier. The oil filter (2.2 pushrod engine) is located directly over the exhaust pipe. Oil goes all over it when you take the filter off.
cheers.gif

I did the shop rag stuffed around the filter and the front diff still got oil all over it. It wont be rusting anytime soon !!

I am going to take a hard look at the filter relocation angle. The truck is in the garage at night but sits out at my workplace in the winter which often reaches 0 to +10 F. Also it sits out at the ski hill. Parking lot is at 6000ft. I often come back to a ice glazed truck or a foot of snow on it. In the summer it tows a 27' travel trailer or a 18' trailer full of ATV's. Seems like I could benefit from the properties of a quality synthetic. Can't get that sort of materials from a quick lube place.

[ October 14, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Enigma ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back