I had the 'Disappearing Quart' in the Ford this weekend ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to post, but I read about this happening a few times on this forum, then it happened to me and this has never happened before, certainly months after an oil change. Just some background. I am retired, I drive the CUV around town at low speed maybe 3-5 miles a day. I don't Idle the car other than the 1 minute warmup form a cold start. Last weekend was a bit different. I was meeting some old High School friends at a car show in Manchester which is about 30 miles from me with about 22 of those driven on a high speed highway. So I attended that show went home an then Sunday met some other friends at a car show in Atkinson, which is about 10 miles from my house.
Well, heading home I decided to stop for gas at my favourite station an IRVING in Plaistow. I had noticed a tiny bit of what seemed like timing chain racket starting the car at home. it wasn't terrible, but this engine has been silent. I popped the hood to check the oil, which i usually do at home about every 2 weeks or so as this thing hasn't burned any oil. Wow it was HOT under there. It was a warm day but nothing crazy - just high 70's low 80's. I could barely touch the hood prop rod. I had only driven the car for 4 miles after a 'cold' start leaving the show. Then I pull the dipstick. NOTHING on there! So I wipe reinsert and finish pumping gas and clean the back window with the filling station squeegee. I pull the dipstick again, and there is just a bit of oil - maybe an 1/8" - on the bottom of the stick well below the fill dot. SO I wipe an reinsert again - same reading. I head home, I don't have "my oil" with me. The top off stuff is at home.
I get home the engine is killer hot under there. Duh, I didnt look at the temp gauge, but I bet it was in the middle. Coolant level was at Max Hot, I decide to let the car sit for a few hours.
Later in the day, I pull the dipstick and I get the same reading below the bottom fill dot (hole, actually). Now this engine has never been flaky. it usually reads a 1/6" below the FULL HOT dot. Always when check Cold. Engine is still very hot. can't even lay your hand on the plastic engine cover. cover. Coolant level is good. So I grab the jug that I used to do the last oil change (Valvoline Advanced 0W20) and add a quart.
Drive around the block and park it. Next day check the oil level and it is good. Car runs reasonably quiet, but I am very hard of hearing with no hearing above 6KHZ. Like an AM Radio. it is running a bit sluggish, but I should mention a couple weeks earlier I got some bad gasoline. About 5 gallons. I know because the car ran bad right after the fillup and bad all of the following week. The I put 3 gallons of Mobil premium in, then the Irving.
So, where did the oil go? This is a D.I. high compression engine - basically the Ford 2 liter ecoboost without the ecoboost or fancy steel reinforced ringland turbo pistons and HD rods, I have a guess but I would appreciate any of your guesses. I think its been 4 months since the last oil change and about only 1900 miles of mainly "old grandma" style driving. Thanks guys and gals (if there are any on here!)
- Ken

I’d say oil left through the PCV or past the rings because of your short trip driving. Short trip driving and DI do not mix. Fuel dilution thins oil and away it goes. As for the heat, that is relative. Since you got it on the freeway for awhile it finally got to temp and you are just not used to feeling it being that hot. Only other thing would be thermostat sticking closed.

I thought thermostat too....but in a 2020? Hey, stranger things have happened.
I also thought PCV system. Is any of it accessible or cleanable?
Now that your oil is back to FULL, keep weekly track of it if nothing else.
Because this sounds "serious" I suggest replicating the Atkinson trip to see if the engine heats up.
Maybe procure an infrared thermometer and establish a set pattern of places to measure (for consistency)?

I don't want to jump to conclusions or be an alarmist BUT if this engine has some sort of threshold involving cooling you might want to learn if there's a specific burping method for your rig. Maybe your slow speed driving style kept you somewhere safe???

Join a Ford board. Maybe your brethren recommend an oil cooler? Maybe they learned something the hard way? Oohhhhh

I like the IR gun idea. I was thinking of running the car with the pressure tank cap loose then letting it cool down. Should I put the cap back on during the cool down? - I am thinking that's the way to go.
I will keep and eye on the Temp gauge. It actually has one!

So the oil went out the PCV? or had it been going all along and was replaced by gasoline?

This car has been close to flawless. I am so disappointed :(

I hate flaky problems.

But thanks for the responses so far :)

wonder if more frequent highway trips would help with fuel dilution ! if thats the problem ?

I suspect she's been diluting and the long trip burned off the fuel.
That is my thought as well. Oil was being consumed, the fuel diluting it and replacing it. The level did not change
until suddenly. If I still had my outdoor grill with a side burner I would simmer a 1/2 litre of used oil and see how much % off after a 1/2 hour. I would never do that INSIDE the house, we don't have a high velocity updraught hood. - Ken

Last edited:
UPDATE: With the addition of the missing quart, the engine appears so far to run cooler. I drove it 5 miles on hilly terrain then idled it for 5 mins. I could not get the radiator fan to kick on. I have to keep an eye on that. Temp gauge didnt budge past the middle. It was about 78 degrees out.

wonder if more frequent highway trips would help with fuel dilution ! if thats the problem ?
I cannot get my wife to ride with me. And I wont let HER drive my car. So therefore, the conundrum.
I do try to get it out on the highway now and then but is never more than ten miles.

UPDATE: With the addition of the missing quart, the engine appears so far to run cooler. I drove it 5 miles on hilly terrain then idled it for 5 mins. I could not get the radiator fan to kick on. I have to keep an eye on that. Temp gauge didnt budge past the middle. It was about 78 degrees out.
That extra quart of oil must have affected the thermostat somehow.

That extra quart of oil must have affected the thermostat somehow.
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic, but the temp gauge has always just run up to the center " normal" part of the gauge and sat there. I am disappointed in myself that I didnt check the temp gauge when i notice the engine was hot at the filling station. I will guess that OIL is the primary heat extractor in this all aluminum engine and missing one of 4 quarts upset the balance of the Universe. I will be happy if the cooling fan ever runs, just to verifiy that operates. The back of the radiator is mostly blocked off at the rear by a large plastic slab with only the fan and its aperture acting as the air pass through on one side. I have not seen a grille-side AC condenser fan, but stuff is jammed in there more than what is usual on other cars.

I have had new fords and dodges with defective thermostats in the past - where they open partially - then stop - I verified, in past, cases with a boiling water test with unit out of the car. Hopefully this one is good. In fact it may be electronically actuated not the old "wax pill and spring" - I have a hard time finding info on the non-turbo 2 litre FORD

Last edited:
Is this a Chennai made Ford?
Yes. But U.S. engine and trans - Cleveland, Ohio.'

I have, so far, had a MUCH better new car experience with this Mahendra Tractor made car than
Fords made in NY or other US locations.

It's the Valvoline Synthetic ! :) :) The honeymoon is over !

.... should have used Mobile Won

Change the oil and see how much comes out.
Why?

I just did, 1800 miles ago. Dipstick says level is same as factory. It ain't coming out yet! Maybe Late November for Winter. I will be on a Early Spring / Late Fall OCI schedule since I don't drive enough to run the OLM to 10%

Thanks, Ken

So far I'm going with

1) Engine break in
2) Granny driving
3) D.I Fuel Dilution
4) Ricky Rudd driving
5) Some Oil and fuel gone
6) Some Oil replaced

Sound's expected given 1,2 & 3.

Is this Reasonable or a Fantasy?

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic, but the temp gauge has always just run up to the center " normal" part of the gauge and sat there. I am disappointed in myself that I didnt check the temp gauge when i notice the engine was hot at the filling station. I will guess that OIL is the primary heat extractor in this all aluminum engine and missing one of 4 quarts upset the balance of the Universe. I will be happy if the cooling fan ever runs, just to verifiy that operates. The back of the radiator is mostly blocked off at the rear by a large plastic slab with only the fan and its aperture acting as the air pass through on one side. I have not seen a grille-side AC condenser fan, but stuff is jammed in there more than what is usual on other cars.

I have had new fords and dodges with defective thermostats in the past - where they open partially - then stop - I verified, in past, cases with a boiling water test with unit out of the car. Hopefully this one is good. In fact it may be electronically actuated not the old "wax pill and spring" - I have a hard time finding info on the non-turbo 2 litre FORD
If you truly believe that during completely uncontrolled everyday driving you are capable of detecting a heat exchange difference in the oil through a casual observation of the perceived cooling fan operation then there isn't a lot to talk about here. Besides, where do you think all the heat is going if not into the cooling system? Has the extra quart of oil somehow enabled the oil pan to suddenly radiate more heat? If not, then the demand on the engine coolant is the same as is the subsequent demand on the radiator to reject the heat. You can't have it both ways.

Why?

I just did, 1800 miles ago. Dipstick says level is same as factory. It ain't coming out yet! Maybe Late November for Winter. I will be on a Early Spring / Late Fall OCI schedule since I don't drive enough to run the OLM to 10%

Thanks, Ken
Only way to really know how much was left in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back