I had forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing.

I often wonder if you were to take a typical car of today, back in time to say 1960, What people like your Dad would think of it.

We get so accustomed to style and (I guess) assume 'that's the way things should be'
I often think that about now, Auto development is due for another radical re-think.
Who knows what will transport us in 30 years time?

OK, in my case it will likely be a Hearse of some sort;-)

I can relate to that.. I think I lost interest in auto styling somewhere in the 70s...Im older now, my time zone for cars was the late 50s to to about 1972. After that, well, body styles went girly.................sort of....except for trucks...lol

A friend in high school had one of those- 4-dr, big tailfins, pushbutton ATX, terribly uncool, very dependable for a while, & tons of room inside. It was coal-black, so he called it "Snowball".
grin2.gif

Speaking of styling shifts & how the unusual/odd becomes the norm: It's hard to believe(& even remember!) now, but when the original Robocop movie came out, those odd, futuristic cars were none other than the not-yet-for-sale, but soon-to-be-common-as-dirt, Ford Taurus. Of course, when you see it now, they don't look very futuristic at all- but they sure did back then.
wink.gif

Wow, I just had a flash back to the '63 "300" I learned to drive on. 2dr Coupe, 383, push button trans selector was on the far left side of the dash. I could turn those tires over at will.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
I can relate to that.. I think I lost interest in auto styling somewhere in the 70s...Im older now, my time zone for cars was the late 50s to to about 1972. After that, well, body styles went girly.................sort of....except for trucks...lol

Im only 24, but I still think that old trucks are awesome. Those were the days when a truck was built and sold for one purpose: to do work. Never with leather, nav, 22" rims, chrome everything, blah blah blah. All they did was help you bring home the bacon, and they did it well.

in 1960 my dad bought a ply wagon, square steering wheel. roof rack, 318, auto, 9 pass. we kept it for 4 years. took some long trips. dad loved the square steering wheels, and the push button trans. we kept it for 4 years. traded for a 1964 dodge 880 with a 383 engine wagon. and all good stuff. dad all so said why get wagon and not have a roof rack? just two of chrysler wagons,4 in all. i still have the grill and head light rings from a 63 new yorker on the wall. thats a whole other story.

Back in 1970s, my grandmother had a similar car. Dad joked that he could park his 70s Toyota on the hood of that car, and that you could use the hood as a runway for an aircraft carrier.

My dad had a 61 FORD Starliner 390 c.i. 3 on the tree . The family always loved that car. Hard to fine them this day & time.

538dd9b4-f77a-4861-80e6-6f00a433055a_zpsecf6cc59.jpg

Originally Posted By: JDW
My dad had a 61 FORD Starliner 390 c.i. 3 on the tree . The family always loved that car. Hard to fine them this day & time.

538dd9b4-f77a-4861-80e6-6f00a433055a_zpsecf6cc59.jpg

Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back