I got a response from Purolator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally remember to mail in my filter (cut open here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...lator_Classic_L )

so the big time delay is my fault not theirs.

Yes I redacted his email (as well as my personal info), if I were in his shoes I wouldn't want my direct work email plastered all over the internet.

1oktw0.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/1oktw0.jpg

2wposx4.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/2wposx4.jpg

I don't know what your thought is to the response, but obviously because some is repetition that has been panned here in the past it won't be well received by some. But, I'll stay out of that.

Kudos to you though for your redaction of the QM's name and clarifying why the response took some time. Classy.

It does not inspire confidence when a Quality Manager does not know the difference between "trails" and "trials".

"have not found a root cause for this claim or others posted on social media"
shocked.gif

Yikes!

Quote:
It does not inspire confidence when a Quality Manager does not know the difference between "trails" and "trials".
It was probably a automatic spell checker, not the Q.M.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

It may be that the person is not a native English speaker, so in that regard I am willing to let that error slide. Since the company is owned by Mann, my guess is that the quality control is now being handled by Mann I also would believe that the reason why responses from Purolator were lacking up until recently was because Mann was consolidating their QC department at Mann HQ in Germany.

As far as the claim that they have not found the root cause, I find that hard to believe. Why wouldn't they take some of their older products they keep as reference items and compare those not affected by the tears with those from the past few years that are?
Yes, these companies keep hundreds if not thousands of reference items on the shelf for just this kind of issue.

Last edited:
The Quality Control Manager inherited the problems with the torn pleats and was essentially thrown under the bus. Unfortunately the response letter has nothing of substance in it so, as far as I am concerned, the Quality Control Manager remains under the bus. I am no longer using Purolator oil filters.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
"have not found a root cause for this claim or others posted on social media"
shocked.gif

Yikes!

Quote:
It was probably a automatic spell checker, not the Q.M.

yeah if I have the time I was thinking about making up a post or PDF with our findings which pretty much all point to the "V Spread" theory.

As to some of the mistakes in the letter, I took that as a good sign. Meaning I actually got a specific response and not some canned letter.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

It's just a typo. I'm sure we could search through your and my past posts and find some. I'm not going to discount this effort on Purolator's part because of some typos. At least the OP got a real letter response. The QA person probably can't spend their entire day writing and proofreading letters, so I'm actually pleasantly surprised that the OP got the response he did.

But, the letter doesn't include very much substance that I see beyond things we already know. I'm not saying that the OP shouldn't have done this. Going through this repeatedly may encourage them to fix the problems.

Note he said "root cause" not just cause.

The cause appears to be the "V" spread as it has been called...

The ROOT cause is whatever is causing the media to be assembled with the wide "V" spread, it could be a process or a hardware malfunction or some combination of factors.

Last edited:
Wonder why he is a new QC manager? That might be good and it might be bad depending on why the old one left.

This letter pretty much said the same thing the QM said in his response email on this issue a few months ago to member FetchFar (?) I believe.

I have to believe that Purolator knows what's really causing the problem, and hopefully they area on the right track for a permanent fix.

I think that was a pretty respectable response from the QC Manager and Purolator. From the tone of the letter it sounds like they are taking the issue seriously. I agree they know the cause but I am sure they want to make sure whatever fix they implement doesn't cause another issue. They took the time to respond with a 2 page personal letter, I'm impressed.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Wonder why he is a new QC manager? That might be good and it might be bad depending on why the old one left.

You bring up a good point.

At least he responded to you. Have to give him that but sad they haven't found the reason for the tearing. That seems to be a pretty big statement and makes me glad I switched to the Ultra.

Exactly nothing was said here. He did not claim guilt or knowledge that there is a widespread problem. I dont care what anyone says..but you should know the difference between trails and trials. If you are not a native english speaker get someone to proof read it.
It is not the same as me making a spelling error in a post on a car forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back