I got 4.0L engine with 73K. What oil is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry it took me so long..

Thanks for all the replies.

OCI I was at 2500miles(No time limit). I am trying to free myself. Someone help!

I was thinking about extending that to more like 4-5k if possible with better diet with Synthetic.

I don't have any problems. No leaks but just trying to keep my jeep for a long time and trying to see if there is a right way to do it.

I do HW, on and off road about 1100miles per months.

FYI, my jeep is lifted 4.5" inches pushing 33"x12.5" tires and it screams at 3k RPM at 75mph.

I think I need to go back down to 10w30 b/c my gas milege is like 12-13!!! Ouch!

Michael K.

Assuming the engine is in excellent running conditions with no pre-existing problems:

Delo 400 or Delvac 1300 15W-40 every 6 months (6,000 mi).

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 ($12-$15 gal) every 9 months (9,000 mi)

Mobil Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 ($20-30 gal or $4.50-$6.00 qt) every 12 months or 12,000 mi.

Just my opinion, that and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee...

Gene

Now Gene ...he's trying to "come out", so to speak ..don't shock him too early on ..he'll never take the first step
grin.gif

My first mandatory rhetoric is that you should do some UOAs to determine a wear trend.

Beyond that, I'd say just use any of the aforementioned oils (Delvac 1300, Delo 400, Rotella -T synth, Delvac 1 $$$) and just graduate your OCI 1000 miles at a clip.

Off roading can be somewhat hard on an engine. Lots of high revving under high and no load (mud slinging ..or just using low range.) ..you're turning fairly big meats compared to just about any passenger car (and most trucks for that matter).

It still comes down to how much you like to play with your oil.
grin.gif
If you want longer drain intervals ...any of these oils should do fine for probably double your current OCI.

Gene is pretty close on the numbers that I'd pull out of my a$$ on the compared oils, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back