I get to choose a "cleaning" oil for my Subaru EJ today. What should I choose?

Yay! Its Friday. And I just got paid...

Time to go buy some oil!

My oil is as black as a thousand black holes. I been doing a partial oil change all this week. (about a quart a day. Just because I can and just because of boredom. Also happy I got my drain bolt loose.) Car is a Subaru EJ25 non-Turbo with an auto trans.

The latest is, the oil pressure light will flicker for about a second (not more than two) on start-up then go out. Will run perfect all day, and only makes a noise when the light is flickering. It is for this reason I suspect "partially clogged pick-up tube."

My oil is black after every trip, I believe I may have loosened up some sludge or at least begun some cleaning with a lot of new oil through it this month. I did a running oil change, of sorts, with my filter changes and subsequent oil additions. Now the level is right.

My first inclanation is to buy Supertech 5W-30, Conventional or Full Synthetic I'm not sure it would really matter... And maybe a Fram filter. But, what would you all suggest?

I’m not sure if you plan on continuing more 1qt drains but if you are I would just use the cheapest API synthetic you can get.

I’m not sure if you plan on continuing more 1qt drains but if you are I would just use the cheapest API synthetic you can get.

This time I would change it all. Probably the filter too.

Want to get a good baseline and see how quickly it darkens light oil, as well.

The one-quart drains were just form doing it before I left out for work in the morning and my container holds three quarts...

I wouldn't run anymore more than 10% of oil capacity.. let the vehicle get up to operating temperature I would just let the car run at idle shut it off than drain.

I wouldn't run anymore more than 10% of oil capacity.. let the vehicle get up to operating temperature I would just let the car run at idle shut it off than drain.

That's what Im saying. Drive from work, go get new oil and probably filter... Put in SMALL AMOUNT (1/8th bottle) of something powerful, let idle a half...

Let oil "chunkify," drain, change oil and filter, drive ?

Cracked oil pickup tube? it was a thing for some subis

Ehhh... Cracked???

I'm just suspecting. I don't actually know
But it sure fits
Flickering oil light on 1st startup.

I’d get either Castrol or Valvoline and a good filter. Napa is running sales on oil and filters right now if you have one in your area.

Back