I get a kick out of car dealerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Sounds to me like you were purposely wasting the time of the dealership and it's employees. I'm not trying to be rude toward you, but I think in essence, YOU were the dishonest one....especially when the dealership offered you your terms. While many of us despise dealerships in general, I've never had a bad experience at a Honda dealership. Since you are in my area, what dealership did you go to? Regardless, what was so unusual or poor about what the Honda dealership said to you? All dealerships have the goal in mind of selling you a vehicle. Just stepping onto the lot of any dealership sets the wheels in motion....it's normal and should be expected. And once you handed them the keys to your own vehicle, that kind of tells them that you ARE serious and willing to deal....doesn't it?

Let me see if I have this straight. Because the OP walks onto a car lot to see the offerings of a manufacturer, he becomes automatically indentured to the dealership and it is compulsory that he buys a car, even though he states that he/she dislikes their offering?

There are two reasons that I walk into a sales showroom: 1)to determine if a vehicle satisfies my wants, needs and expectations or 2) sign the paperwork and drive off (as I said, I buy cars via email/phone.)

I look at it this way: the dealership needs me to stay in business, I don't need them. I have dealt with many salespeople. Some were substandard and some were excellent. The ones that were excellent listened and truly tried to assist me in finding a vehicle that met my needs. The ones that were substandard could do nothing but come up with canned sales pitches, act like a bot, attempt to insult my intelligence and preparation for the process (which it is, and try to treat the second most expensive purchase in many people's lifetime as an event), verbally demonstrate their ignorance in their product, decide for me what my needs are, try to stick me in a vehicle that I did not want, and do everything to make it clear that I was nothing but a mark and their goal was to wrestle me into a supine position, get in my wallet, and extract as much money as possible.

Anymore, once I determine what I want,it becomes an email bidding process in which the best (not necessarily the cheapest) bid wins. Many times, that is where the "excellent" salesperson came to the forefront and got the sale, or at least was provided the opportunity to meet or beat the best bid. It all kind of comes down to who is going to control the dynamics of the situation. If it involves my money, it's going to be me.

Sorry but I don't buy that whole "oh car manufacturers only offer warranties because their cars need it" argument. That's backwards. It means they have so much faith in the car's reliability that they're willing to pay for anything that does go wrong (likely nothing, as 100k on a modern engine is a piece of cake).

Amazing.
Dealing with any Honda dealer around here is like trying to get blood from a stone. I got the best deals I could get buying from dealers, but they only move so much around here. Annoying.

Sounds to me like you were purposely wasting the time of the dealership and it's employees. I'm not trying to be rude toward you, but I think in essence, YOU were the dishonest one....especially when the dealership offered you your terms. While many of us despise dealerships in general, I've never had a bad experience at a Honda dealership. Since you are in my area, what dealership did you go to? Regardless, what was so unusual or poor about what the Honda dealership said to you? All dealerships have the goal in mind of selling you a vehicle. Just stepping onto the lot of any dealership sets the wheels in motion....it's normal and should be expected. And once you handed them the keys to your own vehicle, that kind of tells them that you ARE serious and willing to deal....doesn't it?

Let me simplify the situation so you can understand.

Walked around the Honda lot, asked for a test drive of the Fit. They were adamant about me trading in my truck, and I was interested in seeing what I would get offered because I haven't been quoted by a dealer yet for it.

We test drive the Fit.

We get back, I tell her I don't like it.

She tells me to come inside so I can get my keys.

She asks me my budget, I tell her.

She keeps giving me quotes.

I keep telling her I don't like the car and am not buying a car today.

She gets sales manager to come out, and I tell him that he would have to give me the car for free for me to drive away with it.

He pretty much agrees to giving me the car for free, but I still refuse and tell him that I am not going to be buying a car today and that I don't like the Fit.

I am not allowed to test drive a vehicle unless I am sure I am going to buy it?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Arrogant Honda dealerships around my area were the reason I bought my Mazda 3. Funny thing is that I never even considered a Mazda, I wanted a Honda just like a lot of other people I guess, hence dealership arrogance. The difference with me is that I was not willing to pay through the nose just to drive a Honda, so I went shopping for something else.

No regrets what so ever and Honda is pretty much the last on my list if I were to go car shopping now.

That's a shame that one dealership spoiled the whole idea of ever purchasing a Honda. You should send the manager an email and explain that to him/her.
Were I live I have a Honda dealership I've been buying cars from for 15 years or so. I know what to expect when I go there....but they are certainly NOT arrogant. Yes, they act proud of the product they sell (as should any salesperson), but they aren't like a Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW dealer might behave.

I went to two large Honda dealers in my area. Both acted pretty much the same. One got mad at me because I pulled out a calculator to make sense of their numbers. His best offer was way over MSRP and when I pointed that out he accused me of wasting his time. The second one wanted a $500 deposit just to negotiate.

And, no, it's not a shame. I shopped for a Honda first because my previous car was a Honda and I did not drive anything else to compare. So I thought I wanted a Honda. Arrogant dealers simply gave me the push to look for another make. They did me a favour because after driving Mazda 3 I would not get a Honda Civic even if the dealer was kissing my shoes.
In the end it was a better car for me that won me over, better dealer experience was icing on the cake. If I was dead set to get a Honda I would look high and low to get a deal I was satisfied with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
AndrewG,

I take it you either are currently, or have been in some form of sales at some point in your life, to react the way that you have?

Seems a bit extreme to blame someone for not buying a vehicle simply for walking onto a car dealership lot. He's in the market for a vehicle, but is trying to determine which car suits him the best out of everything in his vehicle segment.

He's allowed to go to as many car dealers as he feels the need to until he finds the right combination of both vehicle and dealer that makes him happy with the transaction process.

When I was shopping for my CX-5 earlier this year, I visited 3 different Mazda dealers, and had three entirely different experiences. Only one of them got my business, and I won't set foot on the other two dealers lots again for the rest of my life.

And the interesting part is that these three Mazda dealers are not the one that I bought my RX-8 back in 2011. They didn't have the car I wanted in their inventory, unlike the other three that I shopped at. One of the dealers (the closest to my house) actually had the exact vehicle in the color that I wanted on their lot, with a second on it's way, but it had a couple options I didn't want (roof rack, wheel locks, etc) already on it.

Their trade in value "appraisal" was such an insult, that was the end of the whole process with them. When a dealer has the gall to tell you your car has a $12k trade in value, and they were being generous offering me $13,200 for it. First trade in offers at the other two Mazda dealers was above $17,500, and we even went as far as having CarMax facility appraise my car, and they also came back with $17,500. I wound up getting $19k for the RX-8 at the end of the story.

So, unlike your opinion, it's not a waste for a consumer to walk into a dealer, and not walk out immediately with a car. If you can't agree with that, then that leads me to believe you're in sales, and then I can understand why you would be upset that a person doesn't just immediately give you all their money as soon as you request it, but that doesn't make you right.

BC.

Nope. Never have been, nor have I ever had the desire to be a salesperson in any way, shape, or form.
You, and the OP, make like this visit to the Honda dealer was undertaken simply to find a car. If this was so then why would a person stay on the lot and haggle over a car they don't even like?? The reason? I quote..."I decided to have fun with it". My question at that point would be...why? I have nothing against going to as many car dealerships as you can to find a decent vehicle at a decent price....I have zero contention with that....nor did I allude that that was my point of response to the OP. It's funny how everyone complains about 'games' at dealerships and how dishonest they can be (true)....yet as a show of integrity....you do it right back to them? Again I would ask....why? What a waste of time. Also I found it odd that the OP acts as though the salesperson reached into their pocket and...I quote...."Took my keys and registration". Again I would ask....Why? Why would you GIVE them the keys to your car AND the registration if at that point you didn't like the dealership nor it's vehicle?? Who's playing games here? That, as I've stated repeatedly...is a waste of time.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Let me simplify the situation so you can understand.

Walked around the Honda lot, asked for a test drive of the Fit. They were adamant about me trading in my truck, and I was interested in seeing what I would get offered because I haven't been quoted by a dealer yet for it.

We test drive the Fit.

We get back, I tell her I don't like it.

She tells me to come inside so I can get my keys.

She asks me my budget, I tell her.

She keeps giving me quotes.

I keep telling her I don't like the car and am not buying a car today.

She gets sales manager to come out, and I tell him that he would have to give me the car for free for me to drive away with it.

He pretty much agrees to giving me the car for free, but I still refuse and tell him that I am not going to be buying a car today and that I don't like the Fit.

I am not allowed to test drive a vehicle unless I am sure I am going to buy it?

Why did you hand over the keys and registration? Were you frightened of them? Lol...Seriously, after you had already decided you didn't want the car nor like the salesperson...why didn't you just WALK? Instead, and I use your own words, you "Decided to have some fun with it". I'm sorry but that's just weird to me. I know that I don't like to waste my time "having fun" with sales folks when I have NO intent of buying the product. That's simply as dishonest as the dealer can be. The even more astounding thing was that you got the deal of the century (even if you had no intention of buying the car)...yet you admonish the dealership.
And this thing about insinuating that I had said ANYTHING about NOT test driving prospective vehicles? I never said anything of the kind. Wouldn't it have been better if you would have just been honest (not handed them the keys and registration to your car) and walked out when you didn't like the Fit or the salesperson?
Sorry my friend...but that's my opinion.

Best way to buy a car is via email in at least a 50 mile radius of your residence and then finish the deal over the phone. Mention no trade until the deal is sealed. Then, you get a somewhat clean appraisal of your trade. [/quote]

You are correct in what you say here, Sir.
This works like a charm, but, I did not have a trade in.

I agree with Andrewg. It seems strange to admonish the dealer for playing games, and then turn around and do the same thing.

Originally Posted By: whip
I agree with Andrewg. It seems strange to admonish the dealer for playing games, and then turn around and do the same thing.

+1.

Practice what you preach.

I'd eat my hat if the dealer the OP spoke of would actually put it down in legally binding terms that he could return the car minus the monthly payments he had made for the first three months, WITH NO EXTRA COSTS OR PENALTIES!

I think that dealer was LYING to the OP.

Some of you posting, like the dealer he went to, CLEARLY were NOT comprehending what he said. The sales girl was being belligerent. Not returning his keys, returning instead with quotes he did not ask for, and being trite when he brought up the warranty terms compared to the competition. Just reading what he wrote would have had me annoyed and ready to yell at her as well. Yes, SHE was the one that started playing games with the customer, not the other way around.

They are the "professionals" and that means that you keep your cool, and
MOST IMPORTANTLY, LISTEN TO WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS SAYING.

Last edited:
Honda dealers are fine around here. Dealers vary and brand is irrelevant. Just who runs it.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I'd eat my hat if the dealer the OP spoke of would actually put it down in legally binding terms that he could return the car minus the monthly payments he had made for the first three months, WITH NO EXTRA COSTS OR PENALTIES!

I think that dealer was LYING to the OP.

Some of you posting, like the dealer he went to, CLEARLY were NOT comprehending what he said. The sales girl was being belligerent. Not returning his keys, returning instead with quotes he did not ask for, and being trite when he brought up the warranty terms compared to the competition. Just reading what he wrote would have had me annoyed and ready to yell at her as well. Yes, SHE was the one that started playing games with the customer, not the other way around.

They are the "professionals" and that means that you keep your cool, and
MOST IMPORTANTLY, LISTEN TO WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS SAYING.

I understood very well the OP's post. It strikes me odd about handing over the car keys AND the registration (but then saying the salesperson "took" them). Before that point....or of course AT ANY TIME, he was completely free to WALK away....yet CHOSE to play games. Why? Weird. If finding a car was really important that day then why WASTE time (1 or 2 hours maybe?) trying to get back at some dealer you have no intent on buying a vehicle from? Living an honest life and NOT engaging in that sort of thing would have been a more satisfying way of handling a situation like that (my opinion).

Except OP wasn't on the clock, the dealership salesmen were. OP has every right to be served by paid, working employees and are not entitled to a guaranteed sale for simply doing their jobs.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Except OP wasn't on the clock, the dealership salesmen were. OP has every right to be served by paid, working employees and are not entitled to a guaranteed sale for simply doing their jobs.

Bingo!

The sense of entitlement among employees is absolutely rampant these days.

The bottom line was if that employee was actually LISTENING to what the customer was saying, she would have returned his keys after they were asked for the FIRST TIME, and could have sent him on his way, instead she was FORCING the issue after she had been clearly told he was NOT interested in buying a car that day.

This is why dealers get a bad rep as an industry. I can say it because I worked in the retail dealership environment for almost 25 years, and I saw this same nonsense happen with customers daily for years! The dealers deserve the HORRIBLE reputation they have with good reason.

Last edited:

I don't disagree with you. However, when the OP stated that in his post that he was purposely toying with them and didn't like the vehicle (or the salesperson for that matter), just WHAT was the point of going any further EXCEPT a tit-for-tat type scenario? I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but many folks that have responded in defense of the OP have, in my opinion, been blinded by a hatred of dealerships (something I DO sometimes experience). Question number one to the OP should be...Were YOU being dishonest with the dealer?. If so, than how can the dealer be assailed as a lone villain here? Question number two to the OP is....Wasn't finding a car (and perhaps moving on) more important than wasting untold amounts of time trying to hose a dealer for the sake of vengeance? The third question to the OP would be....Why did you give the keys and registration to the dealer (and say they 'took' them) when to take a test drive a copy of your drivers license and proof of insurance is all that is required?
I don't know....but to me the whole story seems a bit weird. I'm not trying to disparage the OP but I am trying to figure out why anyone would waste time like this just to 'stick it to the man' or whatever. I also don't know why the OP, who lives in my area, won't say what dealership this is. I'd like to know if it's the one I've frequented for many years.

Bingo!

The sense of entitlement among employees is absolutely rampant these days.

The bottom line was if that employee was actually LISTENING to what the customer was saying, she would have returned his keys after they were asked for the FIRST TIME, and could have sent him on his way, instead she was FORCING the issue after she had been clearly told he was NOT interested in buying a car that day.

This is why dealers get a bad rep as an industry. I can say it because I worked in the retail dealership environment for almost 25 years, and I saw this same nonsense happen with customers daily for years! The dealers deserve the HORRIBLE reputation they have with good reason.

Bingo? Hmmm. No bingo here except to say that the OP was wasting not only the time of the dealership (his purpose AFTER he'd already DECIDED he didn't like the car), but his OWN time searching for another car (an activity that doesn't seem to be of much importance in retrospect). And what's with the key thing anyway? Let alone WHY would somebody give a dealership your car keys BEFORE you've even decided to buy a car from them?? And seriously...and BE HONEST. If a dealership did not return your keys when you asked for them WHY NOT just tell them that you will walk into the managers office and get them yourself if they are not produced immediately? Odd to say the least.

Well, this happens to be an interesting topic...

For the most of the cars I'm considering, I know the right place to go, and a few dealerships that I can trust. And I don't take any gall at all, walked out of a Nissian dealership in nearly 5 minutes flat...and sadly, I'd have to buy a Honda out of my area, because my local Honda places are like the OP's...

And If one has done their homework, they should be fine.

My buddy just bought a 2013 Honda Odyessey, and got bent over for it. He ended up picking up some those dealer "extras", because it was what honda required. They really lowballed his trade in for his Fusion, and went as far as pulling all the recalls to prove their point. They would not work with him at all, because it's a "honda", and you are buying the best". He's not a car guy, and I warned him to take me with him, so my pity for him is low....

If it were me, I would have been gone. His mistake was taking his wife, the person getting this van. You just tell them what they need to hear....

Bingo? Hmmm. No bingo here except to say that the OP was wasting not only the time of the dealership (his purpose AFTER he'd already DECIDED he didn't like the car), but his OWN time searching for another car (an activity that doesn't seem to be of much importance in retrospect). And what's with the key thing anyway? Let alone WHY would somebody give a dealership your car keys BEFORE you've even decided to buy a car from them?? And seriously...and BE HONEST. If a dealership did not return your keys when you asked for them WHY NOT just tell them that you will walk into the managers office and get them yourself if they are not produced immediately? Odd to say the least.

Again you try and purposely duck the root of my point.

The OP is the customer, the sales staff and management are "on the job" and as such are "supposed" to be professionals. This means that even IF the customer is possibly "wasting their time", it doesn't give these employees permission to keep the keys to the CUSTOMERS car after he asks for them back..the very first time, nor play petty games with quotes. I think like many people it is somewhat ASTOUNDING to see the belligerence of the employees. I think the OP was probably dumbfounded when the idiot sales girl kept coming back with pointless quotes, as if to throw his disinterest back in his face. Outrageous.

Bottom line, there is NO EXCUSE for this behavior of ANY dealership personnel. Period. Doesn't matter if the customer annoys you. Professional, competent sales people will simply thank the customer for their time and send them out the door.

You know if that sales girl would have simply handed the keys back the first time she was asked, and politely stated that she hoped he'd return soon if he changed his mind about one of their vehicles at his convenience, and consider buying at their the store in the future, I BET THAT HE WOULD BE PRAISING THIS SAME PERSON and store.
But instead he is bashing them, as they so richly deserve.

The customer IS STILL always right in situations like this. Now he will NEVER set foot in that store to actually buy ANYTHING...and he will tell his friends, family, and others to stay away as well. Nice job, dealer!
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
33.gif

These dealerships NEVER learn, EVER. They keep repeating the same old time worn nonsense that gets them the same horrid reputation among customers, day after day, month after month, year after year. As Judge Judy would say..
"They (dealerships) are THICK!"

Last edited:

Again you try and purposely duck the root of my point.

The OP is the customer, the sales staff and management are "on the job" and as such are "supposed" to be professionals. This means that even IF the customer is possibly "wasting their time", it doesn't give these employees permission to keep the keys to the CUSTOMERS car after he asks for them back..the very first time, nor play petty games with quotes. I think like many people it is somewhat ASTOUNDING to see the belligerence of the employees. I think the OP was probably dumbfounded when the idiot sales girl kept coming back with pointless quotes, as if to throw his disinterest back in his face. Outrageous.

Bottom line, there is NO EXCUSE for this behavior of ANY dealership personnel. Period. Doesn't matter if the customer annoys you. Professional, competent sales people will simply thank the customer for their time and send them out the door.

You know if that sales girl would have simply handed the keys back the first time she was asked, and politely stated that she hoped he'd return soon if he changed his mind about one of their vehicles at his convenience, and consider buying at their the store in the future, I BET THAT HE WOULD BE PRAISING THIS SAME PERSON and store.
But instead he is bashing them, as they so richly deserve.

The customer IS STILL always right in situations like this. Now he will NEVER set foot in that store to actually buy ANYTHING...and he will tell his friends, family, and others to stay away as well. Nice job, dealer!
crazy2.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
33.gif

These dealerships NEVER learn, EVER. They keep repeating the same old time worn nonsense that gets them the same horrid reputation among customers, day after day, month after month, year after year. As Judge Judy would say..
"They (dealerships) are THICK!"

I haven't 'ducked' anything of the kind. You have 100% completely missed any point I've tried to make no matter how hard I have tried to illustrate it. I'm done with this thread. It has become a waste of my time....no sense in trying to convince others of right and wrong these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back