I get a kick out of car dealerships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I read last year when I bought my car that some have taken the internet buying to the next level by choosing a car through reviews or word-of-mouth and skipping the test drive altogether.

Insanity.

I read last year when I bought my car that some have taken the internet buying to the next level by choosing a car through reviews or word-of-mouth and skipping the test drive altogether.

I thought that was really interesting. I don't know if I could bring myself to do it.

May be that was me. I bought these cars without any test drive: '82 Accord, '86 Accord, '91 Accord, '94 LS400, '00 E430 and '04 S2000.

Of those 6 cars I bought the last 3 cars online, paid for it with cashier check and sit in the car for the first time after paid for it.

I had been in passenger seat of my friend's '91 LS400 before bought mine, never sat in any W210 or any S2000(not talking about test drive) until after paid for it.

Never had buyer remorse in buying those 6 cars. At the time I bought those cars they were the best in their class(IMO).

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Your original post is very confusing to me. You said you went to the dealer and went for a ride in the Honda Fit. You then said she didn't understand the word "no". So, when you went for this ride, and decided you didn't like the Fit (and told the salesperson you didn't) my question is WHY did you give her the keys to your vehicle?

I was originally met by a man who showed me the car. I asked him for a trade-in quote and I handed him my keys for him to do so. He took my truck for a drive and appraisal.

I was then met by the saleswoman. The saleswoman was very normal and laxed, until she brought me inside. We didn't go to the service desk to get my keys like she said we would. She took me straight to her desk.

It was once we were at her desk that she wouldn't listen to me say "no".

I think that might clear up some confusion. One of the first things I asked for was a trade-in appraisal, before I even test drove the Fit. Before I even met the saleswoman.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Your original post is very confusing to me. You said you went to the dealer and went for a ride in the Honda Fit. You then said she didn't understand the word "no". So, when you went for this ride, and decided you didn't like the Fit (and told the salesperson you didn't) my question is WHY did you give her the keys to your vehicle?

I was originally met by a man who showed me the car. I asked him for a trade-in quote and I handed him my keys for him to do so. He took my truck for a drive and appraisal.

I was then met by the saleswoman. The saleswoman was very normal and laxed, until she brought me inside. We didn't go to the service desk to get my keys like she said we would. She took me straight to her desk.

I think that might clear up some confusion. One of the first things I asked for was a trade-in appraisal, before I even test drove the Fit. Before I even met the saleswoman.

Oh, I see. That helps clear up the sequence of things and gives me a better understanding of what happened.
You seem like a nice fella....sorry about getting so worked up over your story. It's sometimes difficult to get a complete picture of things on these websites. I apologize for any misinterpretations or perceived insults. I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth.

It is typical I think that the appraisal takes place while buyers take the new car for a test drive...if that was the sequence, the estimate should have been done by the time the test drive was over...assuming a reasonable drive of 15min. or so...

...if the car I drove was unsatisfactory I just didn't go to the sales desk...just stood by in the middle of the floor waiting, telling anyone who approached...

"...just waiting for my keys, thank you"

Last edited:
I'm with the internet car buying crowd. A well researched consumer is a dealers worse nightmare. I make a phone call, give them my out the door price based on information I've accumulated over the internet. I tell the sales guy...."look, I want this car at this price with this options and color and with less than 5 miles on the odometer. I don't waste your time, I have my own financing, you don't have to take me on a test drive or give me a sales pitch." Everytime I've done this on my Honda's, the sales dudes have always agreed. They call me back and say "done, we'll have the car here on such and such date." Then go pick it up. Out of there in about 30 minutes.

I thought that was really interesting. I don't know if I could bring myself to do it.

I think the only car out of the bunch below that was test driven before purchase, was the Torrent.

They're just cars.

With few exceptions, cars are just a commodity item. I can assure you that dealers at all levels look at them simply as a commodity.

edit: I abhor e mail negotiation. I prefer to talk to people. I'm not afraid of talking to people.

Last edited:
I am thinking that test drives are very subjective - of course! Perhaps one could buy cars based solely upon the specs now. If you want fuel economy that's pretty easy. If you want handling you look at those test results. If you want room, you read the interior dimensions. Maybe this is not such a bad idea.

I would never purchase a vehicle without driving it first. The feel behind the wheel, the driving ergonomics, the rear and side visibility.....it's all important to me. I've liked a few cars as far as the appearance, but when I drove them I could not be comfortable. But if it's just a basic car for work duties and you already have a really good idea how it feels.....then it wouldn't be a big deal to buy it without a test drive (new vehicle that is).

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Oh, I see. That helps clear up the sequence of things and gives me a better understanding of what happened.
You seem like a nice fella....sorry about getting so worked up over your story. It's sometimes difficult to get a complete picture of things on these websites. I apologize for any misinterpretations or perceived insults. I have a tendency to put my foot in my mouth.

At least you are willing to fess up that you are wrong, that's better than the dealers you were defending.
lol.gif
48.gif

Before going too a dealer i usually go out too dinner and a movie 1st. Never had a great experience with buying a vehicle from a dealer. We paid cash for our vehicles not in my signature and still feel like we paid too much. Only reason i go back too a dealer lately is too see my old friend, a mechanic there,thats if he has any new good deals that came in on trade ins. They usually get an extra hundred or two over actual trade in off me, which is fine, but most beaters we get last a few years. Saves me time from picking them up from auctions.

Originally Posted By: JANDSZIRKLE
Before going too a dealer i usually go out too dinner and a movie 1st.

I very much enjoyed this sentence! You just forgot the need for a kiss as well.

I had a similar experience with a Honda dealership in Atlanta. I went up one weekend to visit a friend and test drive a few cars because I was interested in cross shopping the MX-5, Cooper S, and Civic Si. The Mazda and the Mini dealerships were easy, they tossed me the keys and when I said "thanks, but no thanks" they just smiled and I went on my way.

The Honda dealership experience I had mimicked yours except I didn't hand them the keys to anything to use to hold me hostage. They used stalling tactics with the whole sales manager song and dance though. They were surprisingly effective at coming up with ways to keep me from walking out the door.

All car dealers operate the same way. If you look at the resumes of most of the people who work at them they move back and forth between dealerships and brands. Bottom line: If you think they are there to serve your best interests you are going to get taken. If you are upset or incensed by their behavior...you are naive. Caveat Emptor!

Do you homework/research before you go up against sales professionals who are trained to extract (yes extract) as much of your money as possible. Expecting anything else is silly...and expensive. Just don't get into hater mode. You can win at the game if you make them play your game.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Honda has built a reputation for being a very reliable car.

The appropriate response to that is:

Then why do you have a service department?

Indeed!

I have driven many brands/makes over the years and they all have there unique benefits and bad points,I have learned, best too find a make and model with good and bad points you find acceptable and are willing too live with.

If I was the salesman, I would say, "for regular scheduled maintenance."

Or:

What about the exploding Odyssey Transmissions?
Or the Exploding Accord 5 speed automatics?
Has Honda learned how to build an automatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back