I found it! I found it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the GC 0W-30 (black bottle - is that green or gold?) at a local (Evansville, IN) AutoZone today! But gee whiz, it's like $5.50 per quart...is it worth it?! This would be in a 2.4L Nissan KDA24DE in a Frontier XE, specified for 5W-30. This truck gets about 2500-3000 miles/month, 95+% highway. Any experience or problems with this engine/combination? Warranty concerns? Recommendations? Can I use it with impunity? My other choice is M1 5W-30 at about $4.30 per quart...
dunno.gif

Congrats: I payed $5.56 per qt, here in Oklahoma.

I only wish our local walmart carried this rare product. It might be 20 too 30 cents cheaper.

Since I only change my oil 2 times a yr, I'm not going to complain.

Also I don't mind paying a bit extra for a product, that will protect my investments for many yrs to come. *Without ever a dought come to mind.}
cheers.gif

You shouldn't have any problems with warranty. 0w30 will give you better protection during the winter months versus the 5w30.

As far as performance...GC 0w30 is a thick 30-weight, almost a 40-weight. Personally, I believe a 4-cyl has to work harder with the thicker oil. I don't know if I would run the oil in a 4-cyl but I could be totally wrong. I'm sure it depends on the application. Overall, I think GC users notice smoother running engines, but b/c of the thickness I would not be surprised if you noticed it to be a tiny bit more sluggish than a normal 30-weight.

But like I said, I could be wrong. All you can do is try it out in your application and see how your engine likes it. Thursday, I'll be throwing my first batch of GREEN GC into my '00 Grand Am GT V6. I've used Mobil1 from 15K to 100K. The engine is spotless and has always run great on Mobil1. However, I thought I'd give GC a shot and see how it goes.

Good luck with it and let us know how your engine likes it.

quote:

Originally posted by mshu7:
You shouldn't have any problems with warranty. 0w30 will give you better protection during the winter months versus the 5w30.

As far as performance...GC 0w30 is a thick 30-weight, almost a 40-weight. Personally, I believe a 4-cyl has to work harder with the thicker oil. I don't know if I would run the oil in a 4-cyl but I could be totally wrong. I'm sure it depends on the application. Overall, I think GC users notice smoother running engines, but b/c of the thickness I would not be surprised if you noticed it to be a tiny bit more sluggish than a normal 30-weight.

But like I said, I could be wrong. All you can do is try it out in your application and see how your engine likes it. Thursday, I'll be throwing my first batch of GREEN GC into my '00 Grand Am GT V6. I've used Mobil1 from 15K to 100K. The engine is spotless and has always run great on Mobil1. However, I thought I'd give GC a shot and see how it goes.

Good luck with it and let us know how your engine likes it.

Thanks for the info...btw, I live near Evansville and drive to Indy about once a week, so have been by Brownsburg...
cheers.gif

I just got back from your OCI...the Elves and I think you are all that...well, considering you are a human, that is.

No problem.

Wow, small world! Yeah, Brownsburg is just 10 minutes west of Indy off of I-74. My wife lived in Evansville for a year while she was attending USI back in like '99-'00 I believe so I've been down there a few times.

Let us know how your car likes the GC. I'll definitely be reporting back with my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back