I found Green!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was completely suprised. A relatively new Auto Zone. I was assuming they were going to have the same old boring mix of bottles. But, on the top rack, sitting there, quite a bit dusty and not looking as brite and shiny as all the other bottles, was the old Syntec bottle of 0W-30, made in Germany on the back and all that. At first I was like, "oh cool, they've got the gold stuff" Then I thought quickly, man, this stuff is dusty, maybe its green, look to the side of the bottle for the see through line and see the green tint! Paydirt! You people here have made me nuts, I've got enough oil in my garage for my 3 vehicles for the next 3 changes...(this is a lot for me).
Anyways, I reached in and grabbed the 5 bottles I could, I left a few bottles for the next lucky soul that should wander in looking for it.

Questions:
1) How rare is this stuff really? The green that is. It is out of production correct? What we all find now are probably the last bottles ever for what we know correct?

2) Should I go back and buy out the rack? would you? Should I ask the sales drone if they have cases more out back? Should I tell my oil freak buddies that are near by?

3) I've got an 05 F150 5.4...The only "semi" bad results I've seen from GC come from these new Ford engines that require the thin stuff. I'm already blending Motorcraft 5-20 and Redline 5-20, two of the thickest 20's around. Should I even bother mixing in the green elixer?

I've also got an I-6 Grand Cherokee and an I-6 Jeep CJ...they could benefit from some green stuff I suppose.

4) Price was over $5 a quart. Not a big concern for me, I got some spending money, but like everyone else, money is money. Is this stuff really worth it? Or are most of you people just fanatical nuts that would just buy it, just to have it...just because it is the green gc?

Thanks for your input.
Paul R

welcome.gif

And congrats on finding Green GC!

1) Green GC stopped production in early 2005. It is relatively rare, it mostly depends on where you live.

2) That's up to you. Gold GC is really common where I live, so I haven't stocked up. I do have a small stash of Green GC however.

3) I'm not a huge fan of mixing, but many people try it with great results. Motocraft and Redline are great oils already. Just curious, why not use 100% Redline?

4) Fanatical?!?! For most of us, it IS worth it. GC (especially green) has a cult following. We wouldn't be fanatical IF GC was a bad oil.

I gave you a ton of vague answers, because there is no right solution for everyone.

T-7, that is good to hear. i'm in the unfortunate situation where i'll be unable to re-provide the car the same oil it is currently enjoying (grn gc). i guess the next best thing is gld gc.

Questions:
1) How rare is this stuff really? The green that is. It is out of production correct? What we all find now are probably the last bottles ever for what we know correct?

So rare that it has probably only been on the shelf for a year or two.

It's very rare. the only green gc that will be available is private collections and maybe if you're lucky a few bottles that still haven't been found. it's kinda like when Directv discontinued the h card (replaced it with the hu). prices of the h went unbelievably high, and then, you couldn't find any more for any price. unlike smart cards, grn gc is a product that people are running/consuming everyday. i think at this point finding it in stores for it's OSP (original selling price) is nearly over. now if you want it you'll have to buy it from a collector and you'll pay a special price for it. but buying it from a collector 6 months from now will be even worse. by end of '08 you won't be able to buy by from anyone for anyprice.

I just bought my first GC this week, and one of the bottles had a date code M0304xxxxx. Is shelf life a factor? Should I go back for the last few bottles that I couldn't reach?

quote:

Originally posted by jeffreydbrown:
I just bought my first GC this week, and one of the bottles had a date code M0304xxxxx. Is shelf life a factor? Should I go back for the last few bottles that I couldn't reach?

RUN AND DON'T WALK SON! I SAID RUN AND DON'T WALK SON and climb up there and rake those puppies down NOW!
grin.gif

[ May 17, 2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: audi_guy ]

Remember, when you get home to stack the bottles in a new row with a lit candle in front and fresh flowers on each side. Also, remember to place something with padding in front of your shrine or your knees will get sore.

Went to Walmart today. Found two green in amongst the gold. Will check again the next time that I am there (couldn't get at the highest shelf without drawing too much unwanted attention). I bought two last week there as well. Doubt that there is much left.

John.

quote:

Originally posted by Reg# 43897:
Went to Walmart today. Found two green in amongst the gold. Will check again the next time that I am there (couldn't get at the highest shelf without drawing too much unwanted attention). I bought two last week there as well. Doubt that there is much left.

John.

Uh, has anyone ever seen GC at Wal-Mart? I never have. I thought it was only at Autozone stores.

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129: Uh, has anyone ever seen GC at Wal-Mart? I never have. I thought it was only at Autozone stores.

I believe Fredericton is in Canada. Walmarts in Canada do carry GC. In the US, they do not.

quote:

Originally posted by FD777:

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129: Uh, has anyone ever seen GC at Wal-Mart? I never have. I thought it was only at Autozone stores.

I believe Fredericton is in Canada. Walmarts in Canada do carry GC. In the US, they do not.

Agreed. And I found 2L of green at my local WM. Unfortunately I need to find the other 4-5L to make one oil change.

Craig.

I was just in the oil cellar and there is A WHOLE LOTTA GREEN down there...why I don't consider it rare at all...
wink.gif

PS I was down there to rearrange my stash in strict batch date order...whoa, have you ever tried to move 423.5 pounds of oil around...with a lot of bent over work...the Elfe Meister had to resort to Ibuprofen.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I was just in the oil cellar and there is A WHOLE LOTTA GREEN down there...why I don't consider it rare at all...
wink.gif

PS I was down there to rearrange my stash in strict batch date order...whoa, have you ever tried to move 423.5 pounds of oil around...with a lot of bent over work...the Elfe Meister had to resort to Ibuprofen.

*cough* bragger *cough*
I'm sorry, I'm just jealous
grin.gif

FD777,

You must understand, the Elfe Meister never brags, he just struts his Elvish stuff a little bit.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
... 423.5 pounds of oil ....

I just returned from saying good night to my 286.8 pounds of GC Green. Have you ever had 149 requests for a different bed time story in one good night visit.
shocked.gif
Now that'll wear you out in a hurry.
burnout.gif

Yes, they DO love a good bedtime story...their favorite is Hans und LeMans. I don't think they ever get tired of hearing that one.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back