I found a great price for an oil change

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
For a number of reasons, I don't change my own oil. I've had the oil changed on my cars by two shops in Berkeley. It cost between $50.00 and $70.00 for these shops to do the work with me supplying oil and filter. Spendy but convenient.

Today I took the Camry to a shop in a nearby town, the same shop that replaced the car's motor mounts. I wanted something checked on the mount repair they did last month. I figured that I'd ask him to change the oil which they did for only $20.00! I know where I'm going for my next change ... I've been paying Berkeley prices for too long.

Last edited:
For a number of reasons, I don't change my own oil. I've had the oil changed on my cars by two shops in Berkeley. It cost between $50.00 and $70.00 for these shops to do the work. Spendy but convenient.

Today I took the Camry to a shop in a nearby town, the same shop that replaced the car's motor mounts. I wanted something checked on the mount repair they did last month. I figured that I'd ask him to change the oil which they did for only $20.00! I know where I'm going for my next change ... I've been paying Berkeley prices for too long.
That must be labour only, or does include oil and filter? Even if labour only, that's a good price.

For a number of reasons, I don't change my own oil. I've had the oil changed on my cars by two shops in Berkeley. It cost between $50.00 and $70.00 for these shops to do the work. Spendy but convenient.

This is with you supplying the Oil and Oil Filter?

At my house it's free as if you get it on the ramps and drain I'm willing to help. Most of my help comes from people tight on money and I use my four uncles oil change kit and siphon out the dipstick a couple of quarts and replace til payday. Always always make them go recycle the oil in their vehicle.

Oil changes are loss leaders for most shops. They have your car up on a lift and can point out all the work it needs, real or made-up. The average person will agree to have it done right there.
This was not been the case here. I was shown a couple of things that need to be looked at and was given suggestions as to where to take the car. The shop principal spent a fair amount of time tracking down some concerns I had and charged me nothing for his time. Just $20.00 for the oil change.

At my house it's free as if you get it on the ramps and drain I'm willing to help. Most of my help comes from people tight on money and I use my four uncles oil change kit and siphon out the dipstick a couple of quarts and replace til payday. Always always make them go recycle the oil in their vehicle.
You're one heck of a guy 👍

Oil changes are loss leaders for most shops. They have your car up on a lift and can point out all the work it needs, real or made-up. The average person will agree to have it done right there.
@atikovi, thanks for that helpful advice ... it was an advisory post, right, or did I misunderstand your intention?

I figured that I'd ask him to change the oil which they did for only $20.00!
My mechanic charges $10.50 labor for an oil change.
Just think about that.... $10-20 for tying up 15-30 minutes of their time ? Start the clock from the time they pick up your key until they pull it out of the bay and you pay. That can't be worth their time so they absolutely have to be looking at future work or you're a regular customer already.

Good for you being part of a lovely situation which had to have developed involving trust, promptness, compatibility, EZ communication, respect, intelligence, thrift, timing, commonality and more.

Yes ... I edited the original post to now include that info.

Wow, this Thread you started brings back some memories from the Winter in 2000. I always do my own oil changes but when it came time to do 1 it was really cold and Windy out. This guy in town that had a 2 bay garage and looked like Cooter from The Dukes Of Hazzard only charged me $15.00

I supplied the oil and oil filter and did all of the work.
He supplied the Lift and semi warm Garage.

$20.00 for the Labor and you supplied the oil you wanted to use, that is a fantastic deal.

This was not been the case here. I was shown a couple of things that need to be looked at and was given suggestions as to where to take the car. The shop principal spent a fair amount of time tracking down some concerns I had and charged me nothing for his time. Just $20.00 for the oil change.
seems like a great indy car repair shop! you are lucky. why not write some favorable online reviews to give this shop more business? there are probably lots of potential customers who would appreciate a heads-up.

Most indy shops have a $100-$120 per hour labor rate. It only takes them 5-6 minutes to do the job?
I try explaining that to service advisors when they act like we shouldn’t be charging to look at a car. It’s like I bet it’s a minimum of a half hour charge to pay everyone’s wage that touches that vehicle in some shape or form

You have service writer, porter, manager, asst manager or foreman in some shops, cashier, appointment scheduler, booker of the ticket, technician, parts guy if any parts are involved. Plus all the building costs of business operation. It adds up to quite a bit.

There’s a reason why shops charge and the rate keeps going up

Back