I found a Fram XG filter in my "new" M1 filter box from walmart.com

bottom line: don't be me, open your deliveries ASAP.

Ordered two new Mobil 1 M110-A filters from walmart.com (sold and fulfilled by Sam Walton himself) in July.

As a donkey brain, I did not open the box and the box sat in the basement until this weekend.

I opened the box and there was 1 perfect M110-A filter. And in the other (busted) M110-A box fell out what looked like a brand new Fram XG7317 (which coincidently is compatible w/the M110A).

I thought that I somehow got a return but online someone else posted a review with the exact same issue on the Walmart website.

Complained to the Walmart customer support chat, and they gave me a $5 credit.

womp, womp.

I have seen some beat up boxes over the years ordering from Wal Mart. Sorry you had to experience that situation -- atleast it was replaced with a quality filter.

Dale

download.jpg

if anyone cares, the date code on the Fram filter is A11242.

So hopefully that means a roughly May 1, 2021 build date and the innocent explanation is that some boxes opened at the warehouse and the person frantically put stuff back in whatever box was lying around....

versus the Walmart warehouse processes returns under one big roof and puts returns right back on the shelf.

Both filters are made by the same company so it’s not a total loss.

this is what I wondered too....but my google-fu made it appear that like Mobil 1 filters are not made by the same factory as the Frams. happy to be proven wrong.

I've used the XG before..that is not the issue. The issue is putting a filter with unknown origin in a car...for all I know it could be a reject. Or, like you said, the production line just screwed up the boxes that shift....which sounds implausible but theoretically possible?

And risking a car over $5 ain't worth it (filter cost $9.70, got a $5 credit after complaining)

I've used the XG before..that is not the issue. The issue is putting a filter with unknown origin in a car...for all I know it could be a reject. Or, like you said, the production line just screwed up the boxes that shift....which sounds implausible but theoretically possible?
Impossible, Mobil1 filters are made by Mann-Hummel, Fram filters are made by Fram, even though Fram and Champion are under the same envelope, I don't believe Champion and Fram filters are made at the same faciliities other than some of the FPS filters that were rebadged champions.

Impossible, Mobil1 filters are made by Mann-Hummel, Fram filters are made by Fram, even though Fram and Champion are under the same envelope, I don't believe Champion and Fram filters are made at the same faciliities other than some of the FPS filters that were rebadged champions.
This is just a general comment and not directed at anyone, but many seem to have the misconception that just because company "A" owns companies "B", "C", and "D", it doesn't mean all of their parts are the same, made in the same facility, and so on. They may have ZERO connection or things in common besides who the top-level company/corporation is.

So hopefully that means a roughly May 1, 2021 build date and the innocent explanation is that some boxes opened at the warehouse and the person frantically put stuff back in whatever box was lying around....

versus the Walmart warehouse processes returns under one big roof and puts returns right back on the shelf.
My bet is someone swapped them out on purpose.

This is just a general comment and not directed at anyone, but many seem to have the misconception that just because company "A" owns companies "B", "C", and "D", it doesn't mean all of their parts are the same, made in the same facility, and so on. They may have ZERO connection or things in common besides who the top-level company/corporation is.

Just wait.

Nobody wants th

Does it have wire backed filter media?

What likely happened is someone opened the Ultra box and was horrified to discover that the filter had the dreaded cardboard filter media. I might take my chances on a M1 filter as well if I was caught in those circumstances 🤯

I wished I could say the same thing about Wix......

Nobody wants th

Does it have wire backed filter media?

What likely happened is someone opened the Ultra box and was horrified to discover that the filter had the dreaded cardboard filter media. I might take my chances on a M1 filter as well if I was caught in those circumstances 🤯
If it’s May 2021 it’s too new. The mesh would be visible looking through the center hole at the media. I have 2 XG7317s from this spring that have the new non-metal backed media too. I’ll use them, but not for over 7500 miles, and there aren’t going to be any more, not when a sub $4 Extra Guard can handle the same OCI for less than HALF the price!

Back