I finally found the German Castrol on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally found the German Castrol on my own (the four quarts I used in my previous car I obtained from pscholte). I was actually looking for another oil (Mobil Drive Clean Plus, which I was going to try-I could not find a single bottle of it!). I found exactly five quarts, which is the amount that my car requires. They did not have any more. These are the first bottles of German Castrol I have ever seen at the AutoZone in Pueblo, Colorado. Maybe the stuff is starting to get around.

If I could find this stuff on a regular basis, I would use it all the time, unless a better motor oil came along. From personal experience and every VOA and UOA of this oil that I have seen, it is superior.

Mystic,

CONGRATULATIONS on your find!

Lot #?

TNX

[ October 04, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

The lot number was M023386BTAG785 2000. What does all of that stuff mean? Thank you for supplying me with the German Castrol in the past. It ran great in my car, but I became frustrated not being able to find any myself. If I was running Castrol, I would dump the current American made Syntec and start making the German Castrol right here in the USA. I would make it in at least 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 viscosities.

Based on personal experience, VOAs and UOAs at this site, and stuff people have said, I think the German Castrol is one of the best motor oils you can currently find in the USA. Perhaps there are even better oils in Europe, and maybe the German Castrol was replaced in Europe by another motor oil, but it is still better then the typical American motor oil. And if it was replaced by a better motor oil, then stop and think about that-a rejected oil is still better then our best?

The only thing I can tell you about the numbers with reasonable certainty is:

M023386BTAG785 Production run
2000 Time produced (European
or "military" time) = 8PM

Sometimes, these numbers will indicate the production facility so it could be that multiple blending facilities are "pumping out" (pun intended) this oil; or it could simply identify production runs

Old DCO was one of the worst oils I have ever used. I though "Hmmm, Mobil...should be good". It was bad. Consumption on Mom's V6 was terrible 1q 1000miles. i was gettng on her case for not checking it. Went to SynPower, cuy use in half. went to GC halved it again. Half quart in 3000 miles is the new rate. I know the reformulated DCO will be better but it started from a LOW standard.

I was going to try the Drive Clean Plus, but I could not find a single bottle of the 5W-30 in six stores! The only thing I saw was a single bottle of 10W-30 Drive Clean Plus in one store and one or maybe two bottles in another store. The stores had been selling the stuff, but it simply was not there.

While I was looking for the Drive Clean Plus, I went to the only AutoZone Store in Pueblo. I had given up on finding the German Castrol there. There was no Drive Clean Plus, but five quarts of German Castrol were sitting on the shelf! When I was not looking for the stuff, I found it.

I did notice a lot of the conventional Drive Clean in stores. It did not appear to be selling.

Yes, it looks to me that if somebody is going to use a conventional motor oil, then just stick to Pennzoil, Castrol, or Chevron. Perhaps the blends (except for Schaeffer's) are not really worth it. From what I can see, the only synthetic oils that look really positive are the German Castrol and Amsoil. Maybe Redline is better as a racing oil and it is expensive. I am not sure if Mobil 1 is a good synthetic or not-I prefer the German Castrol. If the German Castrol is too hard to find, then for me about the only choice in synthetics is Amsoil. We badly need a choice of high quality synthetic oils in this country. Personally myself, I kind of like the idea of an ester based synthetic oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I was going to try the Drive Clean Plus, but I could not find a single bottle of the 5W-30 in six stores! The only thing I saw was a single bottle of 10W-30 Drive Clean Plus in one store and one or maybe two bottles in another store. The stores had been selling the stuff, but it simply was not there.

While I was looking for the Drive Clean Plus, I went to the only AutoZone Store in Pueblo. I had given up on finding the German Castrol there. There was no Drive Clean Plus, but five quarts of German Castrol were sitting on the shelf! When I was not looking for the stuff, I found it.

I did notice a lot of the conventional Drive Clean in stores. It did not appear to be selling.

Mystic,

First, I'm glad you found something better than what you expected on your oil hunt. Second, it appears to me that Mobil has focused their efforts on Mobil 1 and left the dinos to "fend for themselves." Mobil dinos have not looked good to me technically for years and I'll bet if I could trace back, the decline started with the debut of M1. I would use them ONLY when you have no other choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back