I Finally Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Mobil 1 is a very thin oil. It served me very well during an Iowa Winter two years ago. Out here in Southern California heat (114F) I don't like it due to my own issues (noise, etc...).

But yeah - Blue99 is right - whatever you are happy with is what you want. Peace of mind is the best.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
It's interesting to see what the perception is when people switch to synthetics or just to other brands of oil. Some say it makes the engine quieter, others will swear that it's louder. What kind of vehicle/engine combination is it in?

Was noticeable to me. Running in a 2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC.

In Dec. 2003, I purchased a used 2000 VW GTI 1.8T. I used 5w30 dino in it until I purchased an owners manual for it in 2004. After reading through the maintenance section, I learned that I was supposed to be using VW approved synthetic oil. So, I immediately drained the dino, & switched my little 1.8T to Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic. I immediately slept better at night.

Then, in early 2005, I found BITOG. CRAP!
wink.gif

quote:

I know Mobil 1 is a very thin oil.

In what weight?

(example) The 5W-30 is thicker than the new T&SUV 5W-30. It's 11.3@100cSt. I wouldn't call that very thin. Since the thread-starter did not mention the EP, I would assume he'e referring to the regular M-1.

Getting back on-topic, there have been times right after an oil change that I percieved the engine to be quieter & smoother. Then around 1K into the OCI, I felt just the opposite.

There are times when we hear/see what we want to hear & see.

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
I know Mobil 1 is a very thin oil.

Mobil 1 is not "a very thin oil." Current SM 5W30 is listed by Mobil as 11.3 cst at 100C.The almighty GC is 12.2, less than 1 centistoke thicker. By contrast the Pennzoil Platinum is 10.5 cst.How come PP isn't referred to as "a very thin oil"? Most conventional 5W and 10W30 oils are in the 10.x cst range.The Mobil 1 is thin myth needs to be put to rest.

No problem farrarfan1

I'm tired of reading the Mobil-1 is too thin stuff too. With the advent of good UOAs/VOAs with 5W-20, then how can "thin" be such a bad thing anyways?

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Sorry guys, I got a comment from several members here that Mobil 1 was very thin. GC being very thick, etc... Where do you find the cst specs for different motor oils?

Look at their websites. Too much of what gets posted here is just somebody regurgitating what somebody else says and then somebody else regurgitates it again and again.Take a few minutes and actually look up some of the data and don't just rely on what is printed here as gospel.That seems to be a common approach with some of the newer members. Soapbox put back in closet. Resume normal programming and topic at hand.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

You have a point 777. Isn't there someone here using 5w20 in a 12 cyl Maybach or something? (Or did use).

I don't think too thin is a bad thing in cold weather. But what about hot weather? 114 F in California? I had a member comment saying that "GC" was too thin for hot california and to go with something "thicker". What do you say to that?

OriginHacker21 wrote:
quote:

I don't think too thin is a bad thing in cold weather. But what about hot weather? 114 F in California? I had a member comment saying that "GC" was too thin for hot california and to go with something "thicker". What do you say to that?

rolleyes.gif

Exxon Mobil Corporation wrote:
quote:

Mobil 1 5W-20 meets:
ILSAC GF-4 energy conserving viscosity that flows quickly during cold starts.
API SM/CF
ACEA A1/B1
Ford WSS-M2C930-A

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-20.aspx

Ford and/or Exxon Mobil Corporation have extensively tested this oil under all conditions. It's performed superbly.

The above referenced Ford test consist of some of the most grueling criteria used in industry.

Saturday I went full syn (M1) engine oil. I could swear the engine starts quiter than before. Has anyone else noticed this? I should have done this a year or two ago.

It's interesting to see what the perception is when people switch to synthetics or just to other brands of oil. Some say it makes the engine quieter, others will swear that it's louder. What kind of vehicle/engine combination is it in?

quote:

Saturday I went full syn (M1) engine oil. I could swear the engine starts quiter than before. Has anyone else noticed this?

I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30 last summer for 3K initial OCI. What I immediately noticed was the engine started quicker and performance was better. A significant improvement over that was noted after the switch to Mobile 1 5W-20.

That said, I've never had a noise issue with this engine with any type of oil..

What grade Mobil 1 are you using and in what engine?

The important thing is that you are happy with the results produced by switching to M1 in your engine.

Engine noise apparently is a very subject issue - some will perceive objectionable levels while others are OK with it.

Probably has alot to do with the fact that we all do not "hear" at the same levels in all the frequency ranges.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back