I feel lucky but am still very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On March 14 I went to a church camp where my family has had a cottage for 100+ years to help with a work party. I was digging out an old sign post with another guy and latter we went to the lumberyard to get some PT wood in his truck. I wore gloves most of the time. A week latter he tells me he tested positive for covid19. At which point I started to take my temp 2x a day. A few days after that he was taken to the hospital and put on a ventilator. He died Saturday afternoon. He was close to 60.

I am certainly glad I did not get the virus. Oddly his wife, older mother and others at the work party did not get the virus.

He did a lot of building type of work at the church camp and will be missed.

Covid19 will be like Vietnam. Everyone will know someone who died.

Sorry to hear about your friend. This thing is bad.
We will be on the other side, hopefully sooner than later.
Of course even those who do not get sick are dealing with the shut down and losses in income, etc.
Again, so sorry to hear about your friend.
Stay safe.

Originally Posted by Donald

This is a great, simple comparison and, unfortunately, I think you're right.

Knock on wood a dozen times. I have a different, morbid thought about this. I graduated high school in 1974 just when the war ended. I personally only knew a tiny handful of people that actually served in Vietnam. I didn't know anyone that died there. Remember, about 50,000 US troops died there over the entire war, the same amount that died annually in car accidents in the states. A teenager back then, I am now embarrassed that I lived through that war without much thought about it. I particularly remember the daily television news showing how many troops died that day. It became something that you just glossed over, a daily number that didn't affect you. I guess it's a young person thing, being self absorbed for the most part.

Move forward to today, and the television news circus showing the daily death count reminds me of the Vietnam war days. Much older now, I attempt to empathize with those who are actually affected by this virus like Donald is now. I am thankful everyday for my circumstances and I pray for everyone, everywhere for assistance navigating these times. Even my college student employees took this world event nonchalantly for the longest time. Now that it is affecting their employment, they are taking notice.

Very sorry for your loss Donald. I'm just sharing some thoughts running through my head. I worry about my mom living in an adult community home. Unlike my past, I now have the wisdom to know what is going on and empathize with others. I too sometimes get that guilt feeling of "why them and not me". At our age, one has to acknowledge that it really is one day at a time.

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer

This is a great, simple comparison and, unfortunately, I think you're right.

So far, no … but I have a dear friend who can't get pancreatic surgery because of CV19 … and a mid 30's niece who spent a few days under CV19 treatments … she has 40% heart functions now that they figured out the issue, never had CV19

Sorry to hear this.

Early on in this crisis I had a bit of a dark moment, not so much worried about myself as much as, wondering who I knew who wouldn't be around afterwards. Still rather sobering to think in those terms.

Originally Posted by doitmyself

Knock on wood a dozen times. I have a different, morbid thought about this. I graduated high school in 1974 just when the war ended. I personally only knew a tiny handful of people that actually served in Vietnam. I didn't know anyone that died there. Remember, about 50,000 US troops died there over the entire war, the same amount that died annually in car accidents in the states. A teenager back then, I am now embarrassed that I lived through that war without much thought about it. I particularly remember the daily television news showing how many troops died that day. It became something that you just glossed over, a daily number that didn't affect you. I guess it's a young person thing, being self absorbed for the most part.

Move forward to today, and the television news circus showing the daily death count reminds me of the Vietnam war days. Much older now, I attempt to empathize with those who are actually affected by this virus like Donald is now. I am thankful everyday for my circumstances and I pray for everyone, everywhere for assistance navigating these times. Even my college student employees took this world event nonchalantly for the longest time. Now that it is affecting their employment, they are taking notice.

Very sorry for your loss Donald. I'm just sharing some thoughts running through my head. I worry about my mom living in an adult community home. Unlike my past, I now have the wisdom to know what is going on and empathize with others. I too sometimes get that guilt feeling of "why them and not me". At our age, one has to acknowledge that it really is one day at a time.

Let me correct your remember figures. Total killed in Vietnam was 58,220 according to Government records. It always irks me when a person who knows nothing about war tries to compare it to something else.

Donald, sorry for your loss.

If you just felt lucky, that would be bad. It's a scary one, some die some pull through with very little.

So sorry for your loss! And yes, I think you are right in that this will touch everybody's life in some way.

Sorry to hear. Its a weird virus for sure. We hear how very contagious it is and then there are several stories like yours where you were near somebody who had it and didn't get it yourself.

Originally Posted by morepwr
Sorry to hear. Its a weird virus for sure. We hear how very contagious it is and then there are several stories like yours where you were near somebody who had it and didn't get it yourself.

We had half a nursing home wiped out and pretty much everybody there got infected in Bobcageon, not far from here. It's more surprising when I hear about people not getting it when in close proximity, like the OP at this juncture.

I also graduated high school in 74 and I not only knew about the war but had a draft number of 7. I knew kids that died and kids that were physically and mentally wounded. And this was small town Kansas. I am thankful I did not have to go, and deeply respect those that did.

Covid is different. It should not leave the physical and mental scars that can not be healed. It is bad, but nothing like Vietnam other than this generation will remember it to a great degree. I also do not want it, I am lucky to have masks and alcohol wash.

Rod

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Covid is different. It should not leave the physical and mental scars that can not be healed. It is bad, but nothing like Vietnam other than this generation will remember it to a great degree. I also do not want it, I am lucky to have masks and alcohol wash.

Rod

I've wondered if some of the doc's and nurse's out of the hardest-hit areas will have PTSD (or similar) after this is all done. They might go into the profession knowing they will have patients die before them but I'm not sure if they are trained to deal with "many" at once.

One of my sisters has a son who is in his 30's and he had it and though he got bad it was not bad enough to have to go to the hospital, thankfully he lives with no one else so he self quarantined and recovered

My mother who is 87 has only one sister who is still alive out of her family of brothers and sisters totaling 11, and she is 84. The sister did not take it seriously at first and went on shopping and doing things like she always did. She got it and stayed home. She said she had a fever of 104 F and then days of chills, but she never had to go to the hospital. She does have a daughter in law who is a pharmacist who brought her stuff to help her get over it. I do not know what that stuff was, but she is over it now.

Both of these were never seen by a doctor, and were never tested. So that is an indication that the total number of people who get it my be much higher than the reported number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back