I drove an AMG Mercedes SL55 today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
When I was at the detail shop this morning one of the other regulars was there and he brought his Mercedes out of it's winter slumber for a wax job.

As they were washing my car, someone suggested that I go for a ride in the Mercedes, and the guy tossed me the keys and told me to drive! I was shocked, as this car is close to $200,000 up here!

It is just fantastic! It's got a supercharged V8 which makes 493hp, and it's got about 500ft lbs of torque, most of which is available right off idle too. I've never driven a car with this much power in my life!

It is a heavy car at close to 4000lbs, but it would still smoke my Corvette (my Corvette has only 350hp, although it only weighs 3200)

I drove it for about 20min, getting to go full throttle many times and the only thing I didn't like about it was that on the upshifts Mercedes has it programmed to hesitate for a second. Probably to protect the transmission from torque spikes (it's the 5 speed automatic, the 7 speed automatic can't handle the torque of this engine)

I gotta win the lottery now! (and then I'd go for the 600hp version, which is the AMG SL65)

I hate you, Patman!!!
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I have driven the SL65
wink.gif
Lotssss of power but being a BMW person, I was disappointed with the very heavy car, numb steering/brakes. But that thing would lay rubber easily at 35mph. For what the SL65 costs ($189k USD) I surely would get a for more interesting car, since the SL65 doesn't look a whole lot different from its $100k less brother SL500. For that much $, I'm looking into the Ferrari world or better yet, a new E60 M5 and new Porsche 911 or used GT3
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Old Mustang Guy:
I would prefer your Corvette. At least you can get on the Interstate and still get about 28 mpg. As with my Mustang GT, you can't beat the value per dollar.

For driving every day, I would definitely choose the Corvette over the Mercedes as well. The owner told me he only gets 12MPG in the Mercedes! His Yukon Denali gets better mileage! (that is what he drives every day)

But it sure would be nice to win the lottery and have one of these Mercedes in the garage just to take out on the weekends and blast around in. Heck, if I ever won millions of dollars I'd need a ten car garage, there are so many cars I want!
grin.gif

That's super-cool, Patman.
grin.gif

Your story reminds me of the day in early 1994 when I got to drive a brand new Acura NSX.
burnout.gif

Days like that you don't soon forget.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

That must've been a blast Bror! I love the NSX, it is still one cool looking car, even after all these years. You don't see them around too much anymore, although I do see a nice black one around here about once every couple of weeks in the summer.

If you won the lottery, I'm sure you would take your Corvette to Lingenfelter for a tune up.

Patman, the NSX was just as much fun as you'd expect. Nothing like a mid engine car ... hearing (and feeling) the powerplant right behind your seat.
grin.gif

The owner of the dealership initially took me for a ride ... then pulled over and let me drive.
shocked.gif

And once I got behind the wheel, he encouraged me to really push it.
gr_eek2.gif

I did.
wink.gif
I broke 100mph three times in less than 15 minutes.
blush.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:
If you won the lottery, I'm sure you would take your Corvette to Lingenfelter for a tune up.

Nah! he would be taking his new '06 ZO6 to Lingenfelter (or better yet, Katech) for a little "work".
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Buzzsaw:
How fast did you get the AMG up to?

I was driving along a 50mph road, so I only got it up to about 80 or 90 before backing off. So my full throttle blasts weren't very long in duration since it will reach those speeds in just a few seconds.

quote:

Originally posted by dailydriver:

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:

Nah! he would be taking his new '06 ZO6 to Lingenfelter (or better yet, Katech) for a little "work".
lol.gif

Bingo!

I would probably keep my C5, but I would also get a regular C6 and a Z06 too. I'd have quite a stable full of machines if I won a few million someday.
smile.gif

You think that Benz is nice..try driving a AMG SL65.
A 612 HP bi-turbo 12 cyl. slick,quick machine.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back