I don't understand; How is Mobil 1 5W-30 on the thin side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see how its thinner at startup then say, a 10W-30; however, once the Mobil 1 5W-30 reaches operating temp. it has the same viscosity as any other oil with a viscosity of 30, right?

Would I be better off going with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 in non winter months? Would my wear be improved with Mobil 1 10W-30?

Thank you for your help!!!

...basically the answer is because SAE 30 is not a singular viscosity, it's a range. Don't feel like digging the numbers up but M1 X-30's are on the lower end of this range. This is not a problem or a benefit - it just is, as it's up to the user application to make it fit to the appropriate situation.

Pablo is right. Mobil 1 is on the thin side to meet the fuel efficiency engergy conserving ratings or whateve there called. Amsoil's 30wt oils are a bit heavier and have higher HT/HS numbers which is good for severe operations. Being thicker too also makes them more desirable for engines like the LS1 or other engines with larger clearances.

'Nole,

Hope I am not beating a dead dinosaur here. I don't have the numbers either, but let's say at 100 degrees C the range for an oil to be called a 30W is 9 to 12 cSt. What you are hearing people say is that M1 is at the low end of that range.

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
Would I be better off going with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 in non winter months? Would my wear be improved with Mobil 1 10W-30?

If you are worried about thickness, go with the Amsoil 5w-30 or the Series 2000 0w-30 the whole year.

My last Blackstone report said that my Amsoil 5w-30 was approx. a SAE 40 weight oil. They could not explain it.

Both M1 oils are on the lower end of the 30wt range. 9.7cSt for 5w-30 and 9.8cSt for 10W-30.

Will 10-30 work better in summer for your application? Good question. The viscosities at 100degC are pretty dang close but 10-30 should be a little more sheer stable. Only oil analysis is gonna tell you which is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back