I don't always change my transmission fluid in the snow, but when I do...

4y2ioh.jpg

And it was worth it. Oh my gosh how much better it shifts and responsive it is now, 2000my Volvo XC with 117k. I think the fluid was original.

IMG-3210.jpg

IMG-3207.jpg

Also, it cost like $33. RM European has the nice Dex III Total for $3.30/qt delivered (with a $99 order total price). I bought some other things like a boost solenoid, filters, etc. 10 quarts of premium Dex III for $33 delivered is a good deal.

Attachments

• 4y2ioh.jpg
    4y2ioh.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2
I admire you. Working on a car in bad weather is one of my least favorite things to do. But look at you, going at it in the middle of a snow storm.

That is a good price for ATF. I wish I could get ATF for my E350 for that kind if price.

I admire you. Working on a car in bad weather is one of my least favorite things to do. But look at you, going at it in the middle of a snow storm.

That is a good price for ATF. I wish I could get ATF for my E350 for that kind if price.
I just got this car a week ago to replace temporarily one that was rear-ended and wrecked. So I want to get it up to "stage 0" so I don't have to drive my SUV or my step-son's car (which is a Volvo S60 turbo awd, drives great!).

But also it was an excuse to get out of the house. I should have cleared some bikes out of the garage and put it in before the storm, but was lazy. I think I was just bored of being inside - I love snow and am an avid skier, cold just doesn't bother me once I get moving. I was a professional ski patroller in northern Vermont several years; I just love snow. One of the minority I guess. Also, it wasn't THAT cold. It was 33/34F and mildly warm - if it were like 20F I would have sat inside I think. ;)

I still need to refinish the front driver's seat (did the armrests yesterday), change the front and rear diff fluids, and drain/fill the radiator before I declare the car "ready to roll," so I am trying to scratch one thing off the list each day.

Are those golf balls?
Ha Ha, yes. Observant!

I was looking around for something to hold the catch bottle so the fluid squirting didn't upset it (BTDT). 100 yards behind the garage is a golf course. The neighbor kids and my step kids (this is actually at my parent's house and not mine) sometimes go through there and bring back ones they find in the woods. I found the kids' catch-bucket of retrieved balls behind the garage and figured I could jam the bottle down in them to hold it since I didn't have someone to watch/hold it. It worked perfectly!

🥶

Those Total bottles look like Amalie bottles 🤓
Hmm, I wouldn't know anything about that.

I don't know much about Amalie, and I knew Total was a reputable brand and it was cheap (from that distributor) to get a lot delivered since I needed DexIII for this particular car. Clearly closing it out as other specs were much more expensive. I was just amused it was Canadian and I was working in the snow... ;)

View attachment 45451

And it was worth it. Oh my gosh how much better it shifts and responsive it is now, 2000my Volvo XC with 117k. I think the fluid was original.

View attachment 45455

View attachment 45456

Also, it cost like $33. RM European has the nice Dex III Total for $3.30/qt delivered (with a $99 order total price). I bought some other things like a boost solenoid, filters, etc. 10 quarts of premium Dex III for $33 delivered is a good deal.
I’m surprised you can tell a difference in shift feel with all the snow on the roads. I mean unless the tranny was acting up really bad before hand. But generally I’ve only noticed shift feels changes when the roads are smooth lol.

I’m surprised you can tell a difference in shift feel with all the snow on the roads. I mean unless the tranny was acting up really bad before hand. But generally I’ve only noticed shift feels changes when the roads are smooth lol.

Very fair point - the main roads were clear so I was on wet pavement, not snow. ;)

Funny, I test drove one of those IN a snow storm and you could feel the growling of the fritzed bevel gear.
Check to see if your bevel gear (called transfer case by many) has juice.
A guy on one of the Volvo boards showed where to drill and tap 2 holes (1 drain + 1 fill) in the bevel gear unit.
I'd do that if I owned one.
I had a '99 V70. Great car.

Funny, I test drove one of those IN a snow storm and you could feel the growling of the fritzed bevel gear.
Check to see if your bevel gear (called transfer case by many) has juice.
A guy on one of the Volvo boards showed where to drill and tap 2 holes (1 drain + 1 fill) in the bevel gear unit.
I'd do that if I owned one.
I had a '99 V70. Great car.

I had a P2 before this (rear-ended) so knew about the angle gear issues. My reading on the forums indicates this is because of launching them for the most part, so "adult owned/driven" so to speak ones should be OK.

I actually have a drain bolt and tap, and will install proper drain bolts on the angle gears this week and add Lubegard as seal conditioner and added protectant. I probably read the same volvo thread as you at some point. ;) So your comments are well taken and already being addressed!

I have a strut brace on order for it, and also a real belly pan/steel grate - surprisingly affordable. So I'll get it set up nicely.

Do report on the strut brace (and belly pan too!). TIA
1) Poly-bushed the top engine link/mount on my '99. Horrible dashboard shaking. restored it
2) Poly control arm bushes in a P2. Highly rcommended.
Q: Have you heard if the poly bushing which fits an aluminum arm fits the later steel ones?
3) The 4 Poly front subframe inserts. Felt an improvement I wouldn't call much. White powder came out with the bolts.
Don't know if it was dried thread-lok or salt. If it was salt, I'm glad I got it out.

Do report on the strut brace (and belly pan too!). TIA
1) Poly-bushed the top engine link/mount on my '99. Horrible dashboard shaking. restored it
2) Poly control arm bushes in a P2. Highly rcommended.
Q: Have you heard if the poly bushing which fits an aluminum arm fits the later steel ones?
3) The 4 Poly front subframe inserts. Felt an improvement I wouldn't call much. White powder came out with the bolts.
Don't know if it was dried thread-lok or salt. If it was salt, I'm glad I got it out.

1) I have high hopes. I did the "Bob Vila" mod to convert the engine support, which LOOKS like a strut brace but isn't, into a strut brace on my step son's P2 S60 last night. OH MY GOSH. Just wrote it up here:

I have the same hopes for the P80. This is what I ordered, OEM is Ohlins, actually. I got it for less than $80 from a dealership with an accessories sale they had going on. It's stuck in chicago in a FedEx scrum so hopefully get it within a week. I guess now that these cars are older, old stock stuff is cheaper and fortunately still available. I hope it works well since getting a beefier rear sway bar for these is almost impossible now; out of production and few take-offs to be had. P2 take-offs are easy/cheap to come by, just get a take-off from a S60R or V70R.

2) I haven't changed any control arm bushes yet up front - stock is still good (mileage is relatively low). I did get some solid rubber rear trailing arm bushings for the cars I will put in later (the OE is the typical Volvo semi-solid/hollow type that wear out). That is supposed to help, and is cheap to do.

3) I put the iPd inserts in three cars. In the 2000 XC and the S60, it made a nice little improvement, smoother ride, slightly better steering, less flex. In my prior 2004 XC70, which had some wanders in the steering, oh wow it transformed it massively in both steering and ride/handling. I was pleased enough with the cheaper inserts I did not bother with solid mounts at higher cost/effort.

If you do get a P80 (or still have one), this is a heck of a deal on a cool engine grate. My P2 XC had an iPd aluminum shield (I saved it and will re-use it when I get another P2 XC70, which I will, preferably and Ocean Race edition). $93 delivered from Volvo Annapolis. The P2 did not "scream" for a belly pan, but the P80 has the PS lines running almost flush with the engine pan, wide open behind it. Really gave me the willies because I do go a little off-road, camping with these.

It is badly mislabeled in the Volvo database ("seat cover?") here's an old brochure for it from UK market. p/n 9451954 fits all models, awd or fwd, despite what the brochure below implies.

Engine protector for Gen 1.jpg

Last edited:
The real proof of Canadianism is did you change the ATF while wearing shorts and a sweatshirt?

Ha, nope! I am a real cold-weather fan (Vermont in the past, avid skier), but I dress for it.

Back