I didn't realize Toyota is THAT successful

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, what's the conversion factor between domestic and asian HP? I'm looking at the Civic..it's got a 127HP 1.7L engine as the base engine..and the Corolla has a 1.8L 130HP engine..and the Ecotec is a 2.2L 140HP engine.

Ordinarily, I would think, based on those figures, that the Ecotec is the more powerful engine, but I think that domestic HP is less than asian HP, isn't it?

That could definitely account for the oft-reported tales of Honda Civics with nothing more than exhaust tips outrunning domestic muscle cars with triple the engine displacement and double the cylinders.

1 hp is 1 hp. There may be a difference of something like bhp versue SAEnet hp (figures don't lie ..but liars do figure). My 78 454 had something like 235 hp and my 75 350 had like 135-155 (somewhere in there) due to it being measured at the rear of the trans with all accessories driven. Anyway ..I think someone figured out that just about everything that is emissions compliant has about 60hp/liter unless it has VVT or forced induction.

I'm aware. My post above is tongue-in-cheek
grin.gif

As far as I know all HP ratings are derived the same way since about 1973(net), when they were derived a different way (gross).

The gross ratings are higher than the net ratings.

As far as emissions compliance, unless this was changed within the last several years, there are no emissions limits at wide-open-throttle. This makes perfect sense to me: Nobody drives around at wide-open-throttle all the time, and if someone does go wide-open-throttle, the environmental damage caused by the lack of emissions limits might be offset by the environmental damage of a car getting creamed by an 18-wheeler.

This may have been posted earlier, but I only skimmed through most of the posts.

GM has more retired workers getting full paid benefits than current employed workers.

GM is paying more money to people who do not work than do work.

GM, FORD, CHRYSLER are the few remaining companies in the US that offer free total benefits packages.

Great for employees, bad for stakeholders.

Plus GM makes vehicles 5 years to late.

Their new '05-06 line up sucks.

Their cars look like melted plastic.

Japanese makers can sell cars at almost full MSRP, while US makers have to give "employee discounts" to consumers, and $5000 rebates just to push cars off the lot.

GM used to freaking own the market back in the 50's.

A decade from now, I would not doubt if it is bought by TOYO (like the MB Chrysler deal) or by China itself!

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
I still contend that GM's current situation is due to bad decisions made by corporate management who were heavily influenced by big institutional investors. And GM is not the only one with this affliction.
If something were added about the incentive programs for the GM execs being shoet term oriented the majority of the problem would be revealed.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

Originally posted by DockHoliday:
I think it can all be traced back to one thing - short term stock price thinking.

That's one of the biggest, if not the biggest problems the US has. GM is only one company with the problem, but they are in the running for poster child.

Its refreshing and heartining to know that many people realize that this is a serious problem.

Some times, I feel like I am drowining in a sea of madness, looking at the way the world runs itself...

Good for Toyota, doing something right for a long time!

The last I heard, Toyota was neck-and-neck with Dodge.

I don't see how they can make up that much distance unless people just refuse to buy US cars.

Seems unlikely to me.

Yawn, yup I see that Lexus earns the top spot again for the 11th straight year. Let us know when they finish first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back