I didn't know this about new cars...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NHTSA website:

"New DOT Rule requires automakers to tell consumers if new vehicles are equipped with Event Data Recorders."

Link:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/menuitem.f2217bee37fb302f6d7c121046108a0c/?javax.portlet.tpst=1e51531b2220b0f8ea14201046108a0c_ws_MX&javax.portlet.prp_ 1e51531b2220b0f8ea14201046108a0c_viewID=detail_view&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=token&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=token&itemID=dfc432c90a22d010VgnVCM1000002c567798RCRD&overrideViewName =PressRelease

64% of all 2005 vehicles come with this device already? Interesting, I didn't know anything about this gizmo. Supposedly records things like vehicle speed, were seat belts buckled, was the brake or accelerator pressed, etc during the crash. Some even record things like what size the passengers were in the seat and what position the seats were in!

Anyway, the rule requiring automakers to alert consumers to the device doesn't go in effect until 2011!

Does anyone else know about this? News to me...

Yup, it's becoming more and more prevalent. Big brother is watching you. Next step would be to automatically send this data over to Police and insurance companies. Watch for speeding tickets and insurance rate hikes in the mail.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Yup, it's becoming more and more prevalent. Big brother is watching you. Next step would be to automatically send this data over to Police and insurance companies. Watch for speeding tickets and insurance rate hikes in the mail.

Seriously! With this technology combined with GPS, they could know if you've gone over the speeding limit one could get a ticket in the mail.

The site does say that the DOT does not require any manufacturer to have 'car black boxes', but that automakers inform consumers if the car has one. So if anything, at least for now, it seeems like the DOT is on the side of the consumer. I"m sure that could change real easily...

Does anybody know WHICH automakers have these?

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
I've been hearing about it. It surely is a part I would remove from my car in short order.

It's main reason is for the Airbags. You will not be taking it out.

Most cars have it already, the newer cars will be just adding a memory chip and a way to download the info.

Not a biggie IMO.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I recently purchased a 2006 Toyota. I was surprised to see the notice in my owner's manual concerning the presence of the event recorder and its potential use by Toyota and others in the event of an accident etc.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I think that any vehicle with "On Star" has an EDR.

I believe high percentage of vehicles keep arecord of what was going on for short period of time before airbag deplyment. They use a small non-volatle memory and as new dats gets shoved in, old data gets cleared until an airbag goes off, then it's stopped with the last minute or so captured. I can't remeber where I read that but it's supposed to be common on OBD-II cars although it isn't required by OBD-II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back