I didn't know how many of you fix your own electronics

I have a Garmin GPS from 2011 that at the time cost me $399, plus I bought life time maps with it for another $40. Well the battery was pretty much dead and it was killing me thinking about how much Garmin or one of these local electronic repair stores were going to charge me to replace it. The unit works flawless so I was in no hurry to replace it.

I ran across a website called I Fix it and they have videos and guides on how fix almost anything electronic yourself.

Long story short the battery was $10 and the tools needed were another $21.
Special tork screw driver, tweezers, and two plastic pry tools to open the case.

Here is a typical guide they offer, to walk you through the process.
Garmin 1490T Battery Replacement

It took me maybe 20 minutes start to finish to open the case, remove and replace the battery, and reassemble the GPS unit.

I Fix It website

I hope this can benefit some of you.

I have used I Fix It many times for phone and iPad batterries; I also have 2 older Garmin automotive units that will be due for battery replacement sooner rather than later. I purchased a $38 set of special bits from Best Buy some time ago that works on cell phones, laptops, etc., that way all I need is batteries.

I have a Garmin GPS from 2011 that at the time cost me $399, plus I bought life time maps with it for another $40. Well the battery was pretty much dead and it was killing me thinking about how much Garmin or one of these local electronic repair stores were going to charge me to replace it. The unit works flawless so I was in no hurry to replace it.

I ran across a website called I Fix it and they have videos and guides on how fix almost anything electronic yourself.

Special tork screw driver, tweezers, and two plastic pry tools to open the case.

It took me maybe 20 minutes start to finish to open the case, remove and replace the battery, and reassemble the GPS unit.

I Fix It website

Thank you- much appreciated

I Fix It website

Thanks for the link!

I have a Kitchen Aid Convection oven.
The digital display started to fade, & eventually it wouldn't allow me to use the oven.
I called into the appliance store that sells them & was told that the replacement board was over $700 CAD, which was more than I paid for the used stove at a pawnshop.
I decided to pull it apart & try to figure out what was wrong, hell it was already broken, & I couldn't make it any worse, if I totally screwed it up, I kind of needed a new stove anyway.

I found some contacts on the board that showed signs of oxidization, & decided to take it in to an electrical repair shop to see if they would be able to make some repairs. He only charged me $20 or $25, & it has been working good for over 10 years since the fix.

Makes you wonder how many appliances sitting at the dump could have been repaired if anyone took the time to self diagnose.

It's probably not worth it if you have to call someone in, & can't tackle it yourself.

Reactions: JC1
I've found most failures seem to be common, with a little research you can find someone who has had the same issue and posted a how to video online. Anyone with a little mechanical aptitude can follow along and easily fix most things themself. Parts are also easy to comeby online.

You can buy a set of torx screwdriver on ebay, amazon or IFixit website instead of just 1 for this particular use.
Cheaper for the long run.
If you ever fix a phone, they will give you a plastic opening tool, some of them are only 1 time use.
I think Ebay is probably best for this type of tool, although, mailing may take a while.

You can buy a set of torx screwdriver on ebay, amazon or IFixit website instead of just 1 for this particular use.
Cheaper for the long run.
If you ever fix a phone, they will give you a plastic opening tool, some of them are only 1 time use.
I think Ebay is probably best for this type of tool, although, mailing may take a while.
Use a "H" guitar pick

I have a Kitchen Aid Convection oven.
The digital display started to fade, & eventually it wouldn't allow me to use the oven.
I called into the appliance store that sells them & was told that the replacement board was over $700 CAD, which was more than I paid for the used stove at a pawnshop.
I decided to pull it apart & try to figure out what was wrong, hell it was already broken, & I couldn't make it any worse, if I totally screwed it up, I kind of needed a new stove anyway.

I found some contacts on the board that showed signs of oxidization, & decided to take it in to an electrical repair shop to see if they would be able to make some repairs. He only charged me $20 or $25, & it has been working good for over 10 years since the fix.

Makes you wonder how many appliances sitting at the dump could have been repaired if anyone took the time to self diagnose.

It's probably not worth it if you have to call someone in, & can't tackle it yourself.
Dam I had the same issue on my kitchen aid stove in November. Had to buy two new parts for it (as you said over ($700 in parts). Wonder if there is someone in Toronto area that could fix this next time...

Dam I had the same issue on my kitchen aid stove in November. Had to buy two new parts for it (as you said over ($700 in parts). Wonder if there is someone in Toronto area that could fix this next time...
There is a lot of steam & condensation that comes up from a vent above the cooktop when using the oven. I think the damp, hot air gets into the electronics, and eventually causes some issues.

Take my advice and always check to see if any capacitors are swollen or blown apart before you toss your electronic widget in the trash. At least most of the time it is a bad capacitor.

I've done a few. Microwave quit, but it showed an error code; I forget if there was a service schematic inside it or if I searched the web. Bad relay. NLA but was able to easily second source a replacement and wire it in (pinout was different). Cheapo backup camera for my truck, I used a cheapo LCD. It would cut out after a few minutes. Felt warm to the touch, so I took it apart, drilled a bunch of holes for airflow. Problem solved.

Been absolutely stumped on two projects though. First one, a trashcan with an automatic opening/closing lid. Someone forced it shut, now it won't close on its own. No schematic of course, and the parts are SMT & not marked. Been poking around with it but nothing is blown; motor is fine. Second one, amateur radio transceiver that just won't transmit without breaking down into oscillation. That one seems to be past my skill level. I suspect it's some pricey final transistors and it's really not worth the repair I suspect.

Never costs anything to take something apart that you were going to throw away anyhow. Now if you need it to be fixed, that's something else, repair shops charge more if you attempted a repair (and only made it worse). :)

Need to be careful with capacitors in electronic equipment. They can store a dangerous electrical charge for a long time after being powered down

Back