I cut my Auto RX rinse phase short

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had done a 2500 mile clean phase, with an oil filter change in the middle. The reason I did that is that my oil pressure was down from what it was with the fresh oil. During the rinse phase, the oil pressure was going down again, and I planned to change my filter at 2,000 miles, half way through the 4,000 mile rinse phase that Frank recommended due to my use of a synthetic blend oil.

My oil was pitch black, so I decided that I would change the oil while I was at it. I figured that two short rinse phases would be better than one longer one, due to the cleaning ability of new oil. I think based on the dirtiness of the oil that Franks recommendation of a 4,000 mile rinse phase may have been unnecessary. I believe that two short 2,000 mile rinse phases may do even more cleaning anyway.

I saved the 4 quarts or so that I was able to recover, and I filtered them through a Scott shop towel. I had done this with the clean phase oil, and was amazed at just how much gunk was filtered out of the oil. Here's what that shop towel looks like.

Rinse%201.jpg

Rinse%202.jpg

Rinse%203.jpg

These pictures were taken after the towel was allowed to drain and evaporate for just over 24 hours. I included a fresh Scott shop towel for comparison.

I'm only 50 miles into the second short rinse phase (a blend of 3 quarts Super Tech 5W-20, and the 2 quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20 that I had purchased for top-off oil) and the oil is already darkening significantly.

Auto RX made a significant improvement in my fuel mileage, and reduced the fuel smell in oil. Thank you, Frank, for creating such an awesome product :)

I think what you are doing is great since no 2 engines are the same.

I had a different experience during the Rinse Phase, the oil did not get that dark, but my oil filter's were loading up with junk, and I was replacing them every 500 miles.

Nice pictures, and good luck.

Well I guess every OCI after the ARX treatment is a rinse phase of a sort--at least until you get to the point of diminishing returns.

I'm planning on switching to Pennzoil Platinum, and it seemed like a shame to dirty up a synthetic oil right away.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Yes, it did. I'd say 25% or so, maybe a bit more.

Is that normal, like before the treatments, just curious?

Honestly, I didn't really pay as much attention to the oil pressure before I really started caring about oil, which has just been in the last year or so.

I do think that my oil pressure is higher now than I had ever observed before, but I was also using 10W-30 back then, so who knows if that has anything to do with it.

I think that the one dose of Auto RX did enough good that it wouldn't really warrant spending the money to do another one, especially since the fresh oil seems to still be stripping out the softened deposits. When I switch to Pennzoil Platinum, I'll put my last 4oz of Auto RX in and run it for a relatively short OCI of 5,000 miles.

My engine didn't have a sludge problem as far as I could tell, since the heads looked nearly spotless under the oil cap. It's an ex-police cruiser, and all that idling must have caused the rings to get clogged with carbon. Since Auto RX seems to attack ring deposits quite rapidly (as evidenced by my fuel mileage increasing steadily from the start) I think that my rings are probably fairly clean, and that was my desired outcome from the use of Auto RX.

The car is a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (police interceptor) with 128,306 miles on it now.

The car is a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria P71 (police interceptor) with 128,306 miles on it now.
Sweet! I bet you have the good old 5.0 L pushrod engine too.

I am puzzled as to how oil pressure could be significantly affected by ARX, but glad all is back to normal for ya.

Now refill the automatic tranny with Redline ATF and you'll be all set.

Quote:

Shouldn't that be the 4.6 DOHC?

I'm planning on switching to Pennzoil Platinum, and it seemed like a shame to dirty up a synthetic oil right away.

Thinking about what you've said you make a valid point, especially in cars with over 100,000 miles. If you plan on switching to a synthetic blend, or a synthetic oil, it might be a good idea to do a double rinse with a less expensive dino oil, say two 3000 mile rinses, after the second clean phase.

The way Frank had explained it to me, is the synthetic oils cling to metal better than the dino oils, and hold dirt/sludge to the metal along with the oil. A-Rx rinse phase is putting this dirt into the filter. If there is any remaining dirt/sludge a second rinse with the dino oil will probably remove it better than a synthetic oil would. Certainly food for thought.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Quote:

Shouldn't that be the 4.6 DOHC?
May be, not sure when the 4.6 started being used in the Crown Vic, but I would rather have the 5.0.

I think the Crown Vic started using the SOHC 4.6 in 1991 or 1992, when the new body style came along. A 1996 would definetly NOT have a 5.0, but a 4.6.

When the Crown Vic went to the new "bubble style" in 92. That was also the first year of the 4.6.

My CVPI 2001 4.6 puts out 255 HP, I had a (heavier) 1990 CVPI with the 5.0 rated at 190 HP. I'll take the 4.6 any day.
grin2.gif

Both engines were some of Fords better creations, but it seems the 2 thumbs up goes to the 4.6.

Frank D

That would be nice if the Vics had the DOHC 4.6's, they are pretty powerful(280hp/285tq in the Mark VIII's) but all 4.6's are awesome motors. I had a 97' P71 that was a really good car, the thing I liked about the Mark VIII though was it was alot more powerful :)

Originally Posted By: kingrob
When the Crown Vic went to the new "bubble style" in 92. That was also the first year of the 4.6.
That lousy bubble style. When the '97 F150 came out, my son called it the bubble truck. Also was first year for the 4.6 in F150s as I recall. Well if I have to have the modular in a Crown Vic I would like the 5.4L. For that matter an older Crown Vic with the 351 cid V8 would be sweet as that was a pretty torquey engine with the longer stroke.

Quote:
That lousy bubble style.

LOL.gif

I think it's the best body style Ford had since the 60's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back