I couldn't beleave it till I tried it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mosquito replent actually restores yellowed headlights. Spray on a cloth and wipe. I was surprised how much yellow came off even after using flitz.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Never heard this before, i may have to try it.

I hadn't either till one of my buddies posted it on FB.

Headlight Restoration- 3M System

Give it a 100%. #39008 3M product #. Used it on my 2004 RAV4 frosted headlight , went to crystal clear in a short time.
Then gave it 3 light coats of Meguiars Headlight Protectant.

Still have a great amt of product left. 99% of the Meguiars Headlight Protectant and 75% of the 3M stuff.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
Pledge (the dusting stuff) in the aerosol can works also.

Does it remove the yellowing? I was told it prevents it from happening.

I used the Turtle Wax kit this weekend on my 2001 Tacoma, it made the badly yellowed lenses look almost new. Not bad for $9.99.

What is the recommended method to make yellowed plastic white again? Can it be restored or the yellowness permeates the entire material?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Caution, it melts plastic. See this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYmbBZntuY8

If that's what it does to plastic, imagine what it does to your body.
crazy2.gif

I worked in an office for 15 years where I could occasionally smell "Aerogard", which is an Oz insect repellent.

Made little sense the times and days and seasons that I smelled it, but plenty of people are strange.

Moved into a dog-box with a different co-worker,and was trying to clean a whiteboard of old dried ink/permanent markers, patting myself on the back with using the draw over it in whiteboard pen and smudge some of it off.

Tin of aerogard appeared over my shoulder, squirt at the top right corner of the board, and the ink started running down the board...board was crystal clear in 15 seconds.

I learned long ago while whittling some wood by the campfire with my trusty Swiss Army knife. Mosquitoes started coming out so I put on some DEET mosquito repellent, went back to whittling. I put the knife down for a bit and when I came back to it the plastic felt all rough. Upon getting it under some light I noticed my hand print melted into the plastic handle of the knife. That can't be good for you.
shocked2.gif

Yeah, don't put DEET repellent on your skin.
37.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
I learned long ago while whittling some wood by the campfire with my trusty Swiss Army knife. Mosquitoes started coming out so I put on some DEET mosquito repellent, went back to whittling. I put the knife down for a bit and when I came back to it the plastic felt all rough. Upon getting it under some light I noticed my hand print melted into the plastic handle of the knife. That can't be good for you.
shocked2.gif

37.gif

I'm not made of plastic so I'm not too worried.

I read a long time ago - may have been in Consumer Reports - that Deet is similarly effective if sprayed on clothes rather than skin. When camping, I always spray some around the door opening and bottom edge of my tent, on the bottom of my pant legs, tops of my socks, and ends of my shirt sleeves. It seems to work and I don't have to get that nasty smelling greasy stuff on my skin.

I guess if you're wearing a hat you can mist the perimeter of that, too.

Do you guys recall that Avon's "Skin So Soft" lotion was accidentally discovered to be a decent insect repellent? I never tried it, but now Avon actually touts certain formulas as Deet free insect repellent. Maybe combine that on your skin with Deet on your clothes.

Originally Posted By: Smcatub
shocked2.gif

37.gif

I'm not made of plastic so I'm not too worried.

Wow. I don't even know how to address that kind of logic.

I guess these cool side effects/attributes of DEET don't bother people like they do me ...but hey, that's just me. You go right ahead.

"DEET is absorbed through the skin and passes into the blood."
"DEET is also absorbed by the gut."
"The most serious concerns about DEET are its effects on the central nervous system."

Source...countless websites, MSDS https://oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca/pls/pub...ring_plough.pdf and simple explanations: http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/spring03hazards.html

Last edited:
"The most serious concerns about DEET are its effects on the central nervous system."

Of course, malaria, West Nile, and Lyme are all preferable alternatives, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back