I change my oil filter with very oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approx 4-6k miles between changes always change the filter with the oil. It seems a lot of you do not do this.

So are there ever times that you do not leave the filter on for 2 OC's? I assume that highway travel is easier on the oil and filters than city. does e type of miles affect whether you change the filter or not?

You guys never go more than 2 OC's per filter right?

TIA,
Anthony

NEVER!! new oil gets a new filter
33.gif

Routinely go 5000 on oil and 10,000 miles on filter.

depends on your circumstances. I have a mild climate, and service somewhere between severe and non-severe. if you're going to make your oil gel in 5000 miles then yes change the filter, but by then you have bigger problems...

The best advice in this case would be to just change your filter every time. I have left filters on for 2 OCI's but I am always afraid there could be a defect in my filter so now I just use them once. Just use a good mid tier filter like a P1, Wix, Bosch and they will be perfect for your 4-6k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
The best advice in this case would be to just change your filter every time. I have left filters on for 2 OCI's but I am always afraid there could be a defect in my filter so now I just use them once. Just use a good mid tier filter like a P1, Wix, Bosch and they will be perfect for your 4-6k OCI's.

+1

If you are going to buy RP, K&N, M1 etc... then you can go 2 5k OCIs for sure. Without thinking twice. Many of us follow our car's oil monitor, which will routinely go 7-10k between changes. Nobody is changing their filter and not their oil in these cases...

Strictly from the filtering standpoint, changing the filter at 4-6K is most often a waste. Lots of variables and potential caveats to that:

- Is one of those midget filters with a small amount of media? If so, and you don't know how much the filter is loaded over the interval, it would make more sense to change.

- On the other hand, most engine don't generate much contamination and seldom, if ever, is the media loaded to anywhere near capacity in
- Filters actually filter better, become more efficient, as they load up, so a long interval actually yields better filtration towards the end of the interval.

- Running a double interval exposes the filter to more chances of failure... seals, ADBV, bypass valve, etc. The likelihood is small with a good quality filter, but it exists. Have not seen any test data on this but, anecdotally, the likelihood of a failure in a double run seems low... IMO, a single digit, or low double digit risk percentage.

- You are leaving a certain amount of old oil in the engine but the new oil will pretty much rejuvenate what's there. You definitely wouldn't want to remove, drain and replace the filter. It can, and is, done (done it myself) but it adds some risk of seal failure. At a 4-6 K interval, for the most part, the oil is not fully "used up" so I personally would "feel" OK to leave that small amount in. I would hesitate more if the oil was really used up or contaminated from fuel dilution.

Overall, in my opinion, doubling the interval on the filter would be viable if:

a) You weren't a short tripper, lots of short hop city driving where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up.

b) You run very long OCIs (you don't).

c) You have a filter with a tiny amount of media.

All that said, unless you are a short hopper, I suggest you run a longer oil change interval (7.5-8K) and THEN change both the oil and filter. Unless your driving situation is "severe" in some way, at 4-6K, you are most likely draining viable oil and tossing a viable filter. If saving money is the root of your question, then running out to 7.5K, at least, answers that from both the oil and filter standpoints.

No I just read quite a few comments where guys on here mentioned changing the oil but not the filter and since there are many people (most everyone)more knowledgeable on the subject of oil changes an filtration that I might be missing something.

I have actually been considering going to either canton billet filters or the amsoil remote dual bypass filtration system on both of my cars. Do you guys have any opinions on either of these systems and or why one might be superior to the other? I assume most are familiar with both if not I can post some links both seem great compared to oem. I am a little unsure about some of the bypass info on the amsoil and that is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger either way.

To answer a earlier question I run oem or six filter usually a oem version on my Subaru and on my supra I use to run a Lexus v8 filter that I had seen good info on and it was superseded so I currently run the newer version but it started my hunt for a bettr filter. Also the Subaru filter seems very small but I am yet to see any info on a superior filter to oem actually info on the oem has been limited at best but from the little info I have seen it seems to say it is the better choice. I assume canton has one for the Subaru too but most of the research I have done was geared toward the supra I just assumed I would follow that route on both cars.

If you are not going to adventure in extended oil change intervals, the Amsoil bypass filter system may not be worth the expense. I'm a believer in the system and have seen some awesome low wear metal UOAs from cars using them. If you install a bypass system, use a true synthetic like Amsoil and get your monies worth from the lubricant. Run them at least 15,000 miles before changing.

Originally Posted By: Ama0787

I have actually been considering going to either canton billet filters or the amsoil remote dual bypass filtration system on both of my cars. Do you guys have any opinions on either of these systems and or why one might be superior to the other? I assume most are familiar with both if not I can post some links both seem great compared to oem. I am a little unsure about some of the bypass info on the amsoil and that is the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger either way.

I don't see bypass filtration so much as an engine life extender but an oil life extender. In the regular world, you aren't going to see any useful life increase with a bypass-equipped car than you would with a properly maintained car without a bypass. What I mean is that you might make 350K with the well-maintained non-bypass car and 425K with the bypass-equipped one. Very few people will have a car long enough for that gain to be appreciated... that or the body has rotted off long since. The number crunch better for those that really crank on the miles annually.

I'm getting onto this bandwagon soon. I'll be installing Racor's ABS system with a three micron bypass filter that is designed to take out water and some oxidation byproducts as well as solids to 3um. I'll be doing particle count tests at 100 and 500 miles to see how fast it cleans up 4000 mile oil, as well as an oil analyis to see how far I can go with the oil. I'll post the info.

On one occasion I have done a 5k with 2 oil changes and 1 filter. Wouldnt do it again but no issues since it was still used under the standard OCI.

Last edited:
I always change the oil with the filter, it just seems so pointless to go to the trouble of putting the car up, getting out a pan, unscrewing the drain plug, and NOT unscrewing the filter while you are there!

ZOMG what a waste!! everyone knows the OEM filter is good for the life of the vehicle.

...ok maybe not

on mine if the oil plug comes out so does the filter.... Though I like to experiment every now and then.

I have a oversize P1 that is on its 2nd or 3rd oci (id have to look at oci records) and probably at around 13k miles. I cant wait to cut that one open.

And I have some napa platinums i will probably run 2 ocis.

I must be nuts. No way in heck would I go 7,500 or 10K on oil. I change oil and filter every 3K w/Mobil-1 5W-30 and the bad orange can everyone here seems to hate. Both my suburbans take lots of fuel (31 and 37 gal tanks) so the cost of the oil and filter is peanuts relative to a gas fill up for me. Every 6 weeks $35 oh well. Probably wasting good oil. While I'm wasting $, reading all the filter forums it sounds like I should stop with the fram and go with a NAPa gold or platinum. Now my question is there any harm other than my wallet from over changing oil and filter?

Last edited:
3k OCI's on M1,

Pretty much nuts, check.

Wasting good oil, check. Synthetic no less.

As for the filters, right now with rebates till months end you can buy Pure ones or Bosch D+ for the same or less than the orange can.

M1 and a solid filter similar to the ones you mentioned can easily do whatever OCI's your owners manual calls for your driving profile. 7500 would not be stretch. And, it's been shown that changing oil too often may not be as good for your engine as running the oil longer oci's.

Take the plunge, stop wasting good oil, pick a somewhat better filter to go with the M1, and extend your oci. You'll save even more money, and be kind to the environment too.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac

Take the plunge, stop wasting good oil, pick a somewhat better filter to go with the M1, and extend your oci. You'll save even more money, and be kind to the environment too.

Exactly ... Mobil 1 full synthetic with a good filter can do 7500 easily on 99.9% of street driven vehicles. Now if you were running the Baja 5000 or something at WOT in a dust storm, it might be a different story.
grin.gif

I change my filter with every 5k oil change on my Ram. One week this truck lives in stop and go traffic, and the next highway. Sure 5k intervals with M1 and either Mopar or M1 filter is probably a waste, but its a waste that helps me sleep better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back