I cant believe it, Amsoil is available here too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil has a dealer here! TSO Series 2000 0w30 (S$28/qt) and ASL 5w30 (S$17/qt)! Which is better for hot & humid Singapore? Or should I stick with Royal Purple 10w30 ($10/qt)?

Man, that's some expensive oil! I wonder which warehouse they get there shipments from? Amsoil only has warehouses in the US and Canada.

Hello Ken4!! With the nice wear numbers you have already posted why switch? DO you just want to experiment with other oils or are their other motives? Wich ever you decide to use I am sure looking forward to the UOA!!! Seeing how we have already seen some realy low numbers with 15W50/15W40 I would like to see how a 30 Wt synthetic holds up. I currently have 30Wt non-synthetic in my Camry! I will post my results when the interval is up.

In US$ that would be about $16/qt for the TSO and $10/qt for the ASL. A real ripoff right? But what to do, too many middle men by the time it reaches here. I just found out the TSO they have here is the old stocks SJ, so I guess that one's off my list.

John, yes I am still experimenting and searching for the holy grail.
grin.gif

Actually Ken4, IMHO, old SJ formula may actually be a better motor oil than the SL!

So I'd be happy to ship you oil, less those middle men - but what kind of shipping costs are we looking at
confused.gif
?

A case of oil weighs 25 US pounds (near 12Kg)(In the US about 8U$ anywhere). What are the duties, hassles, etc?

How much would regular shipping cost cross the pacific ocean? I know courier is out of the question. There is no import duty, only 4% customs tax.

If you try to ship anything out of the US via UPS or FedEx you will not believe the paperwork!

Cost a lot of $$ as it has to go air and a ream of forms to fill out. A lot easier thru the mail but something heavy like a case of oil could be costly.

Not worth the hassle, been there and done that shipping some parts to Canada.

FedEx international

[ July 26, 2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Ken4, remember that API SJ is just a minimum level of performance and any good synthetic oil should be WAY better than that minimum specification might suggest. Some European oils that are rated ACEA A3 and B3 are still only rated API SJ just because they never bothered to retest their oil for API SL.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Amsoil has a dealer here! TSO Series 2000 0w30 (S$28/qt) and ASL 5w30 (S$17/qt)! Which is better for hot & humid Singapore? Or should I stick with Royal Purple 10w30 ($10/qt)?

Ken4, there is a Forum for Singapore AMSOIL users and fans. I surfed into it by accident once, but could not find the place subsequently. The praise those people lavished on AMSOIL motor oil was out of this world. If what they said was anything to go by, all other brands of oil are now obsolete. Ha, ha.

The problem here is that most are not well-informed on oil and never even heard of oil analysis. Whenever I can I try to educate people on the local forums here and direct them to come visit the bobistheoilguy forum. I especially find it amusing when someone describes the oil he uses as "powerful" or "smooth" or "fantastic".

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
The problem here is that most are not well-informed on oil and never even heard of oil analysis.........I especially find it amusing when someone describes the oil he uses as "powerful" or "smooth" or "fantastic".

Yeah, you are right, Ken4. Those people in Singapore, they are indeed kind of dense. Most of their posts do not make much sense to me. But then, with their kind of climate (no cold starts, every day 95 degrees F), even those stupid guys can have a long-lived engines. :)

We have plenty of dummies here too. I once new a guy that said whenever he went on vacation to Nevada in the summer he would drive his 20 year old Ford F150 at very high speed (about 85+ mph) to keep the motor from getting too hot! I knew this guy about three years ago when I lived in California.

[ July 30, 2003, 12:33 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
We have plenty of dummies here too. I once new a guy that said whenever he went on vacation to Nevada in the summer he would drive his 20 year old Ford F150 at very high speed (about 85+ mph) to keep the motor from getting too hot! I knew this guy about three years ago when I lived in California.

A place with 286 MM people can afford to have dummies. The Bill Gates types take up the slack. A place with 3.5 MM people cannot afford to have dummies. 5 dummies is already too much ballast for a Micro-Dot s*it-town like Singapore, takes away their competitive "edge."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back