I can prove how easy I am on brakes

I am accused of driving slow from time to time by random people signaling to me that I'm #1, it always makes me smile. I drive the speed limit in town, because I won't be that guy who couldn't stop and hit a kid. Being the guy who pays for gasoline, brakes, and tires also has trained me to look ahead and anticipate when I have to slow down or stop, instead of what I call "driving to the light", then slamming on my brakes. I admit fuel economy and brake and tire longevity has become a personal challenge. My mechanic buddy bet me I couldn't make it to 160,000 miles on the original rotors and pads on my Durango without needing to be replaced. I took the bet and only have 30,000 miles to go.

This picture was taken today and is of finger prints of Permatex left on the rotor at 99,000 miles when I had the front wheel bearings replaced. I've been watching the Permatex to see how long it would stay on the rotor before wearing off. You can't see the finger prints anymore, but the aluminum based Permatex is still there. The odometer is almost exactly 130,000 today. How's that for minimal wear? Think I'll make it to 160,000 miles? I'll bet I will.

View attachment 63077
Very cool but....

Not to burst your bubble....we also have a Durango. Its my wifes daily. And she is terrible on brakes. Her foot is either on the gas or the brake. Never easy on any pedal. And I just changed the brakes last week at 122K. The rears were just about gone.
But the front would have easily made it to 160K. I replaced them anyway because I had already bought the brakes and had taken caliper off before I realized I could have let them go longer. I dont remember what brand I bought, but I doubt they will last like the OEM did.

Anyway, I hope you win your bet.

Very cool but....

Not to burst your bubble....we also have a Durango. Its my wifes daily. And she is terrible on brakes. Her foot is either on the gas or the brake. Never easy on any pedal. And I just changed the brakes last week at 122K. The rears were just about gone.
But the front would have easily made it to 160K. I replaced them anyway because I had already bought the brakes and had taken caliper off before I realized I could have let them go longer. I dont remember what brand I bought, but I doubt they will last like the OEM did.

Anyway, I hope you win your bet.
Thanks for the good news! If that's the case then I should make it to 250,000! :cool:

You tow your RV with the durango too right? That's pretty **** good - my factory rotors on the focus is still on at 200+K miles but they're needing a replacement very soon and I don't tow with it.

Above is said, "I'm so efficient that I had my brakes removed and I just use wind resistance to stop. I win."
See you at the bottom of Dead Man's Hill!

....and I so love uninvolved ****s telling me brake rotors are never worth resurfacing. Seriously, given the ineptitude of so many around us I wonder if these guys could even mic a rotor competently.

My brother in law has a 2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel. We just did his first set of brakes at 160,000 miles. He tow all the time as he lives in his trailer. I couldn't believe how long they lasted.

Have not had to replace pads or rotors since, well, I forgot. My driving patterns are much like @wwillson. What I love is someone blows by you with a long duration red light ahead . I just coast and many times I arrive at the intersection just as traffic starts to move, with Mr/Ms Aggressive right in front of me.

" I just coast and many times I arrive at the intersection just as traffic starts to move, with Mr Aggressive right in front of me." Yup.

I've noticed an increase of anxious / aggressive / speedy drivers going around me and other drivers in clearly illegal ways (passing on the right or going into opposing lanes). The "anger thing", which is propagated by news broadcasts and entertainment products, has long taken root and is getting worse.

You tow your RV with the durango too right? That's pretty **** good - my factory rotors on the focus is still on at 200+K miles but they're needing a replacement very soon and I don't tow with it.
No, we towed the Airstream with a 2018 Chevy 3500. I've only ever towed a U-Haul trailer from home to Austin, TX and back with my Durango.

I couldn’t imagine getting behind someone out driving worried about making a set of brake pads last the life of the vehicle. Wow!!!
I bet many others pads suffer due to your letting off the gas a mile away from your next turn meanwhile the guy behind you realizing he is all the sudden gaining on you and having to hit his brakes along with everyone behind him. Lol I feel like I follow fifty people trying to do the same thing on my way home from work everyday. It’s a 45mph speed limit and every time we stop for a light or someone turning (you know because they coast a mile to a dam near stop to make their turn) it takes the line of cars a full mile to approach the 40mph area then another person up ahead is now in coasting mode for his turn about a mile ahead. We never hit 45!! Ever!! Lol it just disturbs me because I can’t even get into OD which is killing my efficiency. Not that I have a chance of getting much above 10mpg anyway with all of the stop and slow go.
im going to bet while in brake conserving mode your nowhere near the cars in front of you, god forbid they hit their brakes and make you have to actually use yours as well.
no offense to you OP I’m just busting balls. All good and to each their own. All I wanna do is get up to at least 45mph so I can get into OD and get my AC blowing cooler. A big van takes a bit to get cooled down. Very stressful!!

no offense to you OP I’m just busting balls.
None taken, it's all good.

I guess I should say that I am a polite and aware driver. I don't just focus on gas, tires, and brakes, instead I try to consider everything around me. Maybe I would better state my driving style as very smooth.

I guess I should say that I am a polite and aware driver. I don't just focus on gas, tires, and brakes, instead I try to consider everything around me. Maybe I would better state my driving style as very smooth.
I am sure I need to work on my driving habits, I do try to stay somewhat efficient but it really never seems to help much.

Too many people trying to get nowhere fast is what wears out brakes, and wastes gas. It is simply common sense to adapt to every driving situation. I can drive as fast and safe as anyone, but I know the limits of being reasonable.

I used to be a lead foot maniac, but these days I just go with the flow - more often than not I end up right back behind the guy passing and tailgating anyways.

I am sure I need to work on my driving habits, I do try to stay somewhat efficient but it really never seems to help much.

A lot of people who try to drive efficient often don't, I've found. It's likely not working as you're doing it wrong. Driving efficient also doen't mean driving slow.

I find that driving a large vehicle, I can relax, not go too fast, coast sooner to the light. I don’t get into the brakes on the truck much, unless it’s dense traffic. In dense traffic I will step it up, stay close to get through the short lights, and drive a bit more “city style,” aka blending in with traffic. But once traffic spreads out, I like to ease up. When I drive smaller vehicles, however, that behavior gets me tailgated, cut off, or generally pushed around and it raises the stress level. i have to adjust to keep a good defensive position. this really makes the truck the preferred in traffic vehicle, and the car more when I’ll be between the rush hour jams, totally backwards from practical thinking.

I follow the Smith system. It’s not just easier in the car and efficient, it’s safer. Make the space around the vehicle, follow others by 4 seconds and try never to come to a stop. I am always glancing 15 seconds ahead to start anticipating lights, slowdowns or other hazards. I listen to soothing music in traffic such a regae or no shoes radio and my periodic city commutes are a joy,
The open highway I am not a “slow driver” I often drive 80-85 for hours on end( ok slow in Texas) , but in city traffic, and congested interstates I am always working on expanding my space bubble and escape routes.
,my brake pads still have 8mm left After 60k and I have hauled some trailers and driven through Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio traffic plenty,

Last edited:
I couldn’t imagine getting behind someone out driving worried about making a set of brake pads last the life of the vehicle. Wow!!!
I bet many others pads suffer due to your letting off the gas a mile away from your next turn meanwhile the guy behind you realizing he is all the sudden gaining on you and having to hit his brakes along with everyone behind him. Lol I feel like I follow fifty people trying to do the same thing on my way home from work everyday. It’s a 45mph speed limit and every time we stop for a light or someone turning (you know because they coast a mile to a dam near stop to make their turn) it takes the line of cars a full mile to approach the 40mph area then another person up ahead is now in coasting mode for his turn about a mile ahead. We never hit 45!! Ever!! Lol it just disturbs me because I can’t even get into OD which is killing my efficiency. Not that I have a chance of getting much above 10mpg anyway with all of the stop and slow go.
im going to bet while in brake conserving mode your nowhere near the cars in front of you, god forbid they hit their brakes and make you have to actually use yours as well.
no offense to you OP I’m just busting balls. All good and to each their own. All I wanna do is get up to at least 45mph so I can get into OD and get my AC blowing cooler. A big van takes a bit to get cooled down. Very stressful!!
Well one of the biggest problems is that you have a FEW people driving and braking at an annoyingly slow pace, MOST people in a "normal" pace, and then SOME people, as I stated before, as if they're setting the nose of a race car into the corners. When you put all of these people together on the road, everyone gets irritated at the other.
It seems that a lot of people these days are annoyed at anything less than a pace of setting the nose of a race car into the corner even though they have no idea how to actually drive a car on the track,...or city streets for that matter. It's just full throttle and hard braking from one light to the next while passing as many cars as they can in between.
It's very possible to drive in a fashion that saves brakes without being annoying, it's just the perception of the drivers that eat their brakes up driving like they're on the streets of Monaco or in the Bathurst 1000 that makes a difference.
No offense or no ball busting, just stating an opinion. Cheers! 🍻

Considering modern car capabilities and the level of surveillance, one can only use so much of a cars performance on the street these days. So on the other extreme I found that trying to drive efficiently is more interesting than driving "normal".

Occasionally I'll do a sixty mile drive to a rural area. If it's winter, say roughly 25*F, when the trip is over I'll park and immediately go feel the front rotors with my bare fingers. Obviously using the brakes as little as possible, they're not hot. Nor are they warm or even nuetral to the touch. But rather they are stone cold. It's sort of a mind warp to drive 60 miles, at times going 80mph, get off the highway, negotiate stoplights, yield and stop signs... then shut it all down and the rotors are stone cold.

Needless to say, like the OP, my brake pads will last a long time.

Back