I bought my first proper scan tool 🥰

Where did you pick that up from? I borrow one from The Critic, an Autel MS906 but I’ve been looking into eventually getting my own, more than likely the MK808 or TS608(a mix of the MK808 and the TS508) for its TPMS capabilities and have the local Mexican tire shop install sensors after programming new ones. However, the Autel TPMS tools can only write to their sensors, certain models can unlock Conti/VDO Redi-Sensors.
Won it on eBay
$348.40 delivered
It's lightly used, for a light discount 🤷‍♂️
But the functionality for the dollar is 🤌

Plugged it into a 2000 Eldorado (not Bay Ridge spec) to clear codes, and program a keyfob
PXL_20220610_194752043.jpg

PXL_20220610_212511252.jpg

PXL_20220610_212603201.jpg

You can manually input an OLM % from 0-100%
I have no idea why you'd want to, but you can 🤷‍♂️
The keyfob took a few tries, but eventually I got both programmed to the correct Driver 1/Driver 2 profiles

PXL_20220616_005603725.jpg

Programmed a keyfob for a 2006 Sonata, and a preliminary diag on the SRS light

Took seconds 🥰

Of course the owner was elated with the keyfob, and hadn't noticed the airbag light

...can't get them all 🥺

What is needed is a local place to walk in and purchase these things. Let them do all the crappy registering and down loading etc.
And then prove to me it does what I want it to before I lay down the dollars for it. Some things you just can't mail order and then have to keep paying for shipping and hoping it all works out and not accidentally lost etc. the cost is too high to gamble.

I have a Launch X431 Diagun V, I like the blue tooth OBD connection and its smaller size.

What is weird a bi-directional function may work, then they update it and then it quits, then they update again and it works. Updates seems to come regularly, came with 2 years worth of updates.

It can graph as multiple PID as well and you can overlay the graphs which I like.

It's an Autel MaxiCOM MK808
Lightly used, about 4 months old, still with the plastic on it, for $320
In hindsight, that's not too terribly much of a savings over a brand new one, but it's still a savings, and I wanted it 😳
I feel I've peaked with my beloved FORScan and knockoff Techstream
I want to bleed ABS pumps
I want to program key fobs
Apparently this thing can do it
I spent the entire afternoon updating it, because it was behind
I then took it outside and tried it on some stuff

View attachment 102537
View attachment 102538
Peeling 🙂

View attachment 102539
Sorted from most to least reliable? 😅
View attachment 102541
Actual live TPMS data on a 2020 XT4

View attachment 102542
All modules communicating on a 2001 Villager

View attachment 102543
Bidirectional controls of all 3 cooling fan speeds on said 2001 Villager

I was hoping for ABS bleeding, but it doesn't have an automated wizard for the Villager

Just individual control of all solenoids, and master pump on/off

My dad's work 2010 Prius has a spongy pedal, and the pump is running too often IMO, I'll have to see what this can do to address that

It offered key/remote programming on the xB and Camry

I have some friends and co workers with a 2000 Eldorado and a 2006 Sonata that'd pay mildly for a keyfob

The sky's the limit now

I'm coming for you Ivan and Eric O 🫡

Would be interested in an update - insights from last 1 1/2yrs. Thanks.

What is needed is a local place to walk in and purchase these things. Let them do all the crappy registering and down loading etc.
And then prove to me it does what I want it to before I lay down the dollars for it. Some things you just can't mail order and then have to keep paying for shipping and hoping it all works out and not accidentally lost etc. the cost is too high to gamble.
I don't know of any place that will let you try before you buy on electronics. What is needed is customers to do their due diligence and go to the manufacturers website and look up what the tool can do for the car it is being used on. The is no such scan tool that can do every function on every car, that animal has never existed. The more coverage and greater bidirectional control the tool has the higher the price.

So how many of these scanners can use a wire and not RF or wifi to connect? It always says do not use a wireless connection for doing ECU upgrades. I personally cant stand wifi anything.

I have never owned one but I have tried both of them and find the Autel to be a more capable tool, you can get the Otofix D1 pro or max which also runs the Autel software for less coin and are in some ways even better than their Autel branded counterparts in the hardware department, Otofix does not produce anything comparable to high end Autel models. The regular D1 and D1 light come up a bit short.
These are all nothing more than a Android tablet with the companies software running as an app.

Not to derail from Autel conversations, but The Car Care Nut channel also recommended the XTOOL X7 / X8.
Some people love those tools and others not so much. They supposedly are pretty responsive to issues and feedback and are resonably priced. I thought about getting one but ended up getting an Otofix D1 instead because I wanted to try out an Autel based scanner since my other more expensive one runs Launch software.

Reactions: NJC
Do all of your autels require to be online while using? We have a nice one at work, but ever since one tech got ahold of it and took it home it will not work unless online. We don’t have access to our wifi at work so we can’t get it online which renders it useless. You can tell it you’re online, but it figures it out after a couple more screens. You can tell it you are not online and it automatically stops progress.

Reactions: NJC
Back