I bought a set of real knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got tired of the junk plastic handle mass produced knives I had and broke down and bought a starter set of Warthers knives. My parents have had their set for 25+ years and they are as good as new. Mine arrived in the mail today and it was a pleasure to slice and dice with them. These things are a fine example of handmade AMerican craftsmanship. They'll last me a lifetime.

How bout Henkels or Sabatier? Got a set of Henkels which I have been using for the last 22 years, not a single problem. Solingen steel rules.

quote:

How bout Henkels or Sabatier?

Henckels and Sabietier are the Mobil 1 of knives. Warthers are kind of like the Schaeffer oil of knives: Difficult to find, small company, they don't advertise, and only real knife buffs know about the brand. Only reason I knew about them was I visited their museum as a child and my parents had a set.

Joe1, thanks for this information, I think??

My wife has been wanting a new set of knives for the past 5 years. I pulled up the Warthers website and let her go through it. Told her to order what ever she wanted for Christmas. Well, $650 later we have knives on the way.

Thanks again
grin.gif

quote:

$650 later we

Wow, You must have bought the big big complete set. I'm a single guy and just got the 3 knife starter set. I remember taking a tour of their woodcarving museum/knife making as a youth about 25 years ago...If I ever make it to Ohio again, I'll be sure to return.

Wow is not the exact word I used when she told me what she had done.

1 - 9 piece block set.
1 - 8 5" steak kives in counter block.
1 - 10" Diamond sharpner.
1 - Cutting board.

I thought she might have done what you did or maybe a small set of steak knives. I had no idea she would do this. Guess that's what I get for telling her to order what she wanted.

Maybe that means she will be cooking more steaks for me now.
grin.gif

What? You guys don't go don't get the "3 easy payments of $13.99" for an "over $840 value" in 28 (Could be more, I lost count) full-tang RONCO knives? Maybe it comes with a free Flowbee or a Skunky Steamer!
tongue.gif

But seriously, knives are fun. Watch out, I'm gonna cut ya* -- or more likely myself! Taste the cold steel of my Swedish stainless (and apparently rust-proof) steel butcher knife.**

I also have one of my grandma's Zwilling-Henckels knives. Whatever became of grandpa?***
wink.gif

*, **, ***: j/k!

I don't have much in the way of brand-names in my collection.

I seem to have a knack of finding no-name stuff that cuts well, holds an edge, and sharpens easily, whether it be chinese pocket knives or carving knives.

I was cutting up over-ripe tomatoes (to make a ham and tomato pasta sauce with the left over ham), and couldn't beleive how easy it was compared to bludgeoning the meat off the duck carcass at the in-laws' place on Christmas.

We've had a set of Sabatiers for a few years and they have been the best knives so far. I didn't know about Warthers. I probably shouldn't tell my wife.
smile.gif

I woke up really early one morning and could not get back to sleep. I turned on the TV and watched that info-mercial on the Ronco knife set. I almost feel like buying a set just to see what they are really like.

How do they get those people to sit in the audience for those info-mercials?

A local supermarket deli department had those Ronco knives. I asked them if they were any good, the employee smiled sadly and said no.

the best deal in knives is dexter-russel. the are built for commercial use, super sturdy, good steel and resonably priced. you'll find them in most meat packing houses and restraunts. they have no style though, pure utility.

I use henkels (however it's spelled) myself.

I've just discovered my chinese cleaver is a Dexter - only had it over 30 years. I just didn't get around to reading the logo stuff until I read this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back