I bought a set of real knives

I got tired of the junk plastic handle mass produced knives I had and broke down and bought a starter set of Warthers knives. My parents have had their set for 25+ years and they are as good as new. Mine arrived in the mail today and it was a pleasure to slice and dice with them. These things are a fine example of handmade AMerican craftsmanship. They'll last me a lifetime.

How bout Henkels or Sabatier? Got a set of Henkels which I have been using for the last 22 years, not a single problem. Solingen steel rules.

Joe1

quote:
How bout Henkels or Sabatier?
Henckels and Sabietier are the Mobil 1 of knives. Warthers are kind of like the Schaeffer oil of knives: Difficult to find, small company, they don't advertise, and only real knife buffs know about the brand. Only reason I knew about them was I visited their museum as a child and my parents had a set.

Joe1, thanks for this information, I think?? My wife has been wanting a new set of knives for the past 5 years. I pulled up the Warthers website and let her go through it. Told her to order what ever she wanted for Christmas. Well, $650 later we have knives on the way. Thanks again [Big Grin]

Joe1

quote:
$650 later we
Wow, You must have bought the big big complete set. I'm a single guy and just got the 3 knife starter set. I remember taking a tour of their woodcarving museum/knife making as a youth about 25 years ago...If I ever make it to Ohio again, I'll be sure to return.

Wow is not the exact word I used when she told me what she had done. 1 - 9 piece block set. 1 - 8 5" steak kives in counter block. 1 - 10" Diamond sharpner. 1 - Cutting board. I thought she might have done what you did or maybe a small set of steak knives. I had no idea she would do this. Guess that's what I get for telling her to order what she wanted. Maybe that means she will be cooking more steaks for me now. [Big Grin]

What? You guys don't go don't get the "3 easy payments of $13.99" for an "over $840 value" in 28 (Could be more, I lost count) full-tang RONCO knives? Maybe it comes with a free Flowbee or a Skunky Steamer! [Razz] But seriously, knives are fun. Watch out, I'm gonna cut ya* -- or more likely myself! Taste the cold steel of my Swedish stainless (and apparently rust-proof) steel butcher knife.** I also have one of my grandma's Zwilling-Henckels knives. Whatever became of grandpa?*** [Wink] . . . . . *, **, ***: j/k!

I don't have much in the way of brand-names in my collection. I seem to have a knack of finding no-name stuff that cuts well, holds an edge, and sharpens easily, whether it be chinese pocket knives or carving knives. I was cutting up over-ripe tomatoes (to make a ham and tomato pasta sauce with the left over ham), and couldn't beleive how easy it was compared to bludgeoning the meat off the duck carcass at the in-laws' place on Christmas.

We've had a set of Sabatiers for a few years and they have been the best knives so far. I didn't know about Warthers. I probably shouldn't tell my wife. [Smile]

I woke up really early one morning and could not get back to sleep. I turned on the TV and watched that info-mercial on the Ronco knife set. I almost feel like buying a set just to see what they are really like. How do they get those people to sit in the audience for those info-mercials?

A local supermarket deli department had those Ronco knives. I asked them if they were any good, the employee smiled sadly and said no.

the best deal in knives is dexter-russel. the are built for commercial use, super sturdy, good steel and resonably priced. you'll find them in most meat packing houses and restraunts. they have no style though, pure utility. I use henkels (however it's spelled) myself.