I bought a new Monkey

This Honda 125 is a blast. 4 speed with a clutch and top speed is 65mph. Bought it brand new. They are hard to find and I bought it in Norfolk NE which was about 340 miles round trip to pick it up.

Attachments

• 8C16D974-92F4-4109-BE43-9F7306F32CA9.jpeg
    8C16D974-92F4-4109-BE43-9F7306F32CA9.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 131
I had a 175 Yamaha 2 cycle about 40 years ago. That was a lot of fun but there were times I wanted more engine. Mine was a street and trail. On local streets it was OK, but on hill on trails there were times when I saw people with 250 cc bikes and wished I had the power they had to go up hills.

I think in general 125 is too small, but it also depends on the size of the person and the terrain. Pittsburgh has hills.

Is S. Dakota flat? And what is the height and weight of the biggest person who will ride it?

I think in general 125 is too small, but it also depends on the size of the person and the terrain.
The reason 125cc bikes exist is that most states do not require a motorcycle license to operate one, as long as you have a valid driver's license.

It helps that this Monkey only weighs 230 lbs, so the 125cc may feel more powerful than otherwise. It's basically a scooter, but with manual trans. I can see it being sufficient just to run some errands around town without hitting the hwy.

But to your point, a larger/heavier person may look somewhat comical riding it, and getting up a steep hill may prove problematic. :)

I like it because I had a Z50 years ago and loved it. This is more of a retro bike and I feel like a kid again riding it. I have had lots of bigger bikes and ATVs but this one is grea
I had a 175 Yamaha 2 cycle about 40 years ago. That was a lot of fun but there were times I wanted more engine. Mine was a street and trail. On local streets it was OK, but on hill on trails there were times when I saw people with 250 cc bikes and wished I had the power they had to go up hills.

I think in general 125 is too small, but it also depends on the size of the person and the terrain. Pittsburgh has hills.

Is S. Dakota flat? And what is the height and weight of the biggest person who will ride it?
We have a little of everything. I bought it to ride on easy trails and backroads and streets. It’s not the type of bike I want to beat up like you would a trails bike. It’s more of a retro Z50 but lots bigger and way faster and more powerful. I weigh 180 and it is great for me. I can take a big bump and it rides great. It has super bright led lights and a digital speedometer and gas guage. The bike is fuel injected and has electric start. It even has a catalytic converter and I can wear shorts and not get burned on the exhaust. The bike is super quiet too. It also has disk brakes on both wheels. Most buyers remember the old Honda’s and if they liked those they will love the new ones. Honda is talking about bringing back the Honda trail CT 90 or CT120 in a clone with the same 125 engine in retro form.

These bikes are made to be an addition to the toy box. For what I paid I could have bought many other more practical bikes but I wanted this one because I have other toys too. It’s all about garage space for me and this doesn’t take up much room.

We need a license here to operate it. The 49ccbikes do not need a license however you should have insurance.
Yeah, what state has a 125cc license exemption? All the ones I know of are
These bikes are made to be an addition to the toy box. For what I paid I could have bought many other more practical bikes but I wanted this one because I have other toys too. It’s all about garage space for me and this doesn’t take up much room.
Exactly, they are a niche market bike.
While of the same lineage as the Grom, I don't think it is meant to be a dailey like the Grom is. Even the new Cub (very similar to the Grom and Monkey) I think is meant to be a more practical bike than the Monkey.

Had a Honda 50 that I almost froze on riding from Brookings to Huron in December and a Suzuki 250 that hurt when I laid it down on a grade crossing in Atlanta. That did it for me but after a half century I still dream about 'em both. I envy you that Monkey looks like a lot of fun

While of the same lineage as the Grom, I don't think it is meant to be a dailey like the Grom is. Even the new Cub (very similar to the Grom and Monkey) I think is meant to be a more practical bike than the Monkey.
Yes I had a Honda Cub back in 1972 bought it brand new only it was 49cc and white. I took the fairing white plastic off the bike and also would take the front fender on and off as well as the muffler LOL! I put a few thousand miles on that bike and it would take a beating and keep on ticking just like a Timex. They had a new 125cc cub at the dealership and it was pretty neat but I went for the Monkey because I liked it better as far as looks and garage space.

Had a Honda 50 that I almost froze on riding from Brookings to Huron in December and a Suzuki 250 that hurt when I laid it down on a grade crossing in Atlanta. That did it for me but after a half century I still dream about 'em both. I envy you that Monkey looks like a lot of fun
Thanks! Wow, Brookings to Huron is quite a jaunt on a smaller bike. As far as freezing we would ride on the Sioux River all the time in freezing cold weather and it didn't bother us a bit as kids. My big brother had a Honda trail 90 and we literally lived on those things after we had all the gardening work and acreage work and chores completed for my dad. Usually we were cut free from hard labor around 2:00 in the afternoon and we were free to roam the countryside and go wherever we wanted since we had many miles of gravel roads to ride. This was back in the early 70's and we rode without a license plate or insurance. Man, those were some great times and this bike kind of brings some of that back even in today's world that we live in.

I really like the new crop of retro small bikes. I have a 4000 mile 1974 Honda XL100. It’s fun to ride, but it’s temperamental, takes a few kicks, the 6V battery is always dead and won’t start without a charge, and it rides and brakes like the antique it is. of particular interest is the useless 6V 30W headlight! The new stuff is faster, just as fun, and completely un-temperamental

How's she handle at 65 MPH? :oops: :unsure:
I have not had it up to that speed however it handles great at 40 mph. I have a 600 mile break in period and the owners manual states to take it easy until you you rack up that many miles. I only have 55 miles on it so far. I have seen videos of people running them up to 65 and they appear solid. The tires are fairly wide and it does take bumps and speeds as good or better than a standard 125cc bike of any make or model.

Can you get any of those smaller bIkes with an auto trans?

Back