I bought a 2006 Civic EX Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
One reason for the high rate: The Civic Si, and those who drive them....we all know who I'm talking about.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
One reason for the high rate: The Civic Si, and those who drive them....we all know who I'm talking about.....

Shame, one of the only reasons I did not buy an SI was even higher rates. Really a shame, I really want an SI still.

Isn't the main reason his insurance is high is because he lives in Ontario? Doesn't this province have higher rates?

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Isn't the main reason his insurance is high is because he lives in Ontario? Doesn't this province have higher rates?

Probably a bit more than other provinces, but I've had good luck all these years. My Corvette right now only costs me $109 per month, but I'm waiting for the hammer to fall there, and I have a bad feeling that when it's renewal comes up at the end of August that I'm going to be in for an even bigger shock than the Civic's $290 a month. I'm now almost 100% positive that my high rate on the Civic is the result of State Farm not forgiving that recent accident, as I had assumed they were going to do. I bet if they didn't factor that accident into my Civic's rates, that I would be paying closer to the same rate as my Corvette's current rate.

For those of you who have had accident claims and gotten massive increases, do they start lowering your rates a little bit at a time each renewal period, or do you end up paying those massive rates for the next 2-3 year stretch with no reduction along the way?

So I finished off my first tank of gas in the Civic, I went 374 miles and still had 3 bars left on the gauge (and 10 L of fuel left in the tank). My calculated MPG ended up being 35.8, not bad! That was about 50/50 highway, with almost no AC usage (even though it's been in the 90s here for the past week) I think I can beat this number on my next tankful and I definitely think that 45 MPG is do able on a long trip with the cruise set to 100km/h (if the road is flat)

I also changed some of the transmission fluid this morning, I did it myself as I found out it's super easy on these cars! I've never done a trans fluid change in any other car I've owned simply because they all had to be done by removal of the pan and that's just a crazy mess! But on the Civic it's easy, just a drain plug (which is very easy to access) and then you simply refill it through the dipstick hole. This method only gets about 40% of the fluid out though, so I plan on doing another drain and refill of the fluid in a few more days to get the percentage of new fluid higher. Then that should be good enough for a while, and I'll stick to a single drain and refill about once every year.

I also got my Scangauge yesterday but I'm not totally sure if I can trust the numbers it's giving me yet, until I run through a complete tank of gas and get it calibrated.

This car is definitely going to save me a lot of money in fuel (not enough to cover the insurance mind you) as the last full tank in my Corvette cost me $90 and that gave me 600km worth of driving. My fill up in the Honda yesterday was just over 600 km worth of driving as well but only cost me $50. So that will save me $120 a month in gas (and $120 a month is what I SHOULD be paying for insurance for the Honda, eventually I'll get that sorted out)

alot of people seem to be doing what Patman is doing especially suv/truck people. they are buying a second car to offset the price of fuel on their main ride. no wonder used car values are going up for econoboxes.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
alot of people seem to be doing what Patman is doing especially suv/truck people. they are buying a second car to offset the price of fuel on their main ride. no wonder used car values are going up for econoboxes.

I had that for a while too because I wanted to keep my Maxima.. My insurance tripled. I was so mad I didn't know what to do with myself. I hate insurance companies. This is probably common knowledge on this board by now.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

The main reason I bought the car was so that I didn't have to drive the Corvette in the winter anymore, but the gas savings was definitely a bonus I was looking forward to. In the long run it's best that I always have a second car if I want to keep this Corvette for many many years to come.

2nd car is great if you have space to park it. There're lots of stuff I fixed that wouldn't be possible if I don't have a 2nd car to rely on.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
2nd car is great if you have space to park it.

Ah yes, the parking space!
smile.gif
I am currently renting a townhouse with my father, and the Corvette gets the garage spot and his car gets the driveway spot. There is visitor's parking in the complex but the sign says no parking overnight from 12-6am and they give $25 tickets if you do. If you have an overnight visitor you can phone in to get a permit, but it's not something you could do for yourself every single night. So my solution was to find out who owns the lot across the street from me that has a veterinary clinic. Turns out the owner lives next door to it and he was more than willing to rent me a parking spot for only $30 a month! And it's only a 2 minute walk for me to get there, so it's not that far away. It's off a busy road that is well lit at night and a lot of police drive along that road at night too, so I'm not too worried about anyone trying to break into the car.

I filled up again today and this tankful got me 36.4 MPG! The Scangauge told me 36.9, so it was a little off but not too bad. With this fillup I was able to calibrate it, so hopefully it will be spot on next time.

The Scangauge shows me this car gets 50 MPG at a steady 100km/h! Nice!

If you're going to change insurance companies, make sure you do it before the State Farm renews, otherwise they'll want a cancellation fee. Also, make sure you contact state farm about the proper way to cancel - again I also hate insurance companies - how can I get insurance verbally over the phone, but to cancel, I need a letter signed and faxed/mailed?

I'm currently with The Personal (group rates though) and found a good rate - your experience may vary. I like that The Personal offered discounts for parking in a garage, having snow tires and owning a hybrid.

Double check with State Farm about that accident - did you have some sort of 'accident forgiveness' claus? A lot of companies offer this now, where your first at fault accident is forgiven and 'shouldn't' affect your rates. That's assuming you were at fault - if you weren't, then your rates shouldn't be affected at all.

My previous insurance company was The Co-operators, and they were OK as well - I only switched because my 'group' switched from Co-operators to The Personal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back