I bought a 2006 Civic EX Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Patman
What I don't understand is why have I only been paying $80 a month all these years for my wife's 2000 Civic? Do they only consider the 2006 and newer ones as the highest risk ones?

I doubt there is any real reason behind it, except that Ontario's insurance companies can get away with anything, so they can charge those outrageous prices. They can base their prices on anything, color, location, number of doors, anything.

It is one of the things I hate the most. The fact they are gouging me arbitrarily and I can't do anything but pay with my hard earned money. They make me so mad... I sold my 2 Saturns because 2 vehicle insurance was so high, otherwise I would have kept those instead of getting 1 newer more reliable car. Which now I am still getting gouged on.

I'm gonna have a chat with my State Farm agent again tomorrow, because I got an online quote that was more than half of their price! So if they aren't willing to do something for me here, I'm taking my business elsewhere, and forgetting the fact that I've been with them 25 years! It just sucks that the agent I dealt with for 24 of those 25 years retired last year, I bet she would have found a way to help me out here, but this new guy doesn't know me at all.

Check out TD as well, we switched over to them this year, they were a 1/3 lower on our cars and 1/2 as much for our dead slow ATV and snowmobile. I'm pretty sure our last insurer was subsidizing all the $10k+ atvs and sleds with the premiums from the old ones which never make a claim...

I guess I have no one to blame but myself for not researching this, but when I went to the insurance company today to add the Civic to my policy I got a HUGE SHOCK! This car is going to cost me $290 a month to insure!

I pay $133 per month for full coverage (100/300/100 coverage) for a 4 door 2007 Civic EX down here in south FL, but I'm 50 years old and have every discount applied to my car (safe driver accident free, air bags, car alarm, anti lock brakes, multi-car family, homeownership,...etc).

Are you sure your State Farm agent gave you all the discounts you qualify for ???
21.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I pay $133 per month for full coverage (100/300/100 coverage) for a 4 door 2007 Civic EX down here in south FL, but I'm 50 years old and have every discount applied to my car (safe driver accident free, air bags, car alarm, anti lock brakes, multi-car family, homeownership,...etc).

Are you sure your State Farm agent gave you all the discounts you qualify for ???
21.gif

Yep, I even phoned him again this morning and made him phone head office to double check that his numbers were right and that all proper discounts have been added. He said they were, so I informed him I will be seeing him soon to cancel my 25 year relationship with State Farm.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Check out TD as well, we switched over to them this year, they were a 1/3 lower on our cars and 1/2 as much for our dead slow ATV and snowmobile. I'm pretty sure our last insurer was subsidizing all the $10k+ atvs and sleds with the premiums from the old ones which never make a claim...

I just checked TD online and their quote came back at $255 per month, better, but not good enough to switch. I need to find something at half the rate I'm currently paying, like the online quote for Desjardin's insurance gave me ($137 per month) They didn't have a dropdown menu for the Corvette though, so I have a feeling they aren't "Corvette friendly" So I need a company that will give me a great rate for both of my cars, not just on one of them.

$290/month and you've been w/ them for 25 years, that's outrageous! Sorry to hear, hopefully you can find something reasonable.

It looks to me like State Farm is not forgiving that accident claim I made in February, even though my previous accident claim with them was 1988! And they also seem to be forgetting that my last speeding ticket was 1997! It's pretty sad that they have zero loyalty towards their long time customers, not many people stay with the same company for 25 years! And now they are going to lose a good customer. I'm sure there is another insurance company out there that would love to have my business and will look at my entire driving history and take that into account instead of just penalizing me for one incident this year. So I'd better find another insurance company before the end of August when my Corvette is up for renewal, as I have a feeling State Farm will jack it's rates up to something really outrageous ($400 a month perhaps??)

It's pretty sad that they have zero loyalty towards their long time customers, not many people stay with the same company for 25 years!

In my experience, there is absolutely no incentive to stay with the same insurance company for too long. They all start you out low to lure you in, and then keep raising the rates little by little at every renewal, even if you have a spotless driving record. So yeah, shop around.

I've been with Liberty Mutual for the past 2.5 years. I'll give them another year and will start collecting competitive quotes again. A house, 2 cars, 1 bike... it all adds up...

It looks to me like State Farm is not forgiving that accident claim I made in February, even though my previous accident claim with them was 1988! And they also seem to be forgetting that my last speeding ticket was 1997! It's pretty sad that they have zero loyalty towards their long time customers, not many people stay with the same company for 25 years! And now they are going to lose a good customer. I'm sure there is another insurance company out there that would love to have my business and will look at my entire driving history and take that into account instead of just penalizing me for one incident this year. So I'd better find another insurance company before the end of August when my Corvette is up for renewal, as I have a feeling State Farm will jack it's rates up to something really outrageous ($400 a month perhaps??)

want the # of my broker?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

want the # of my broker?

Thanks for the offer, but a friend of mine in my Corvette club is an insurance broker actually, and I will be seeing him on Sunday at a Corvette show, so I'm going to ask him to be my broker. Having him as a broker will be most beneficial since he'll know the companies which are more catered to cars like the Corvette.

Sounds like a plan sir!

I've had the same broker for the past eight years. I have been through three insurance companies during that time. She finds me a better rate and asks if I want to switch. I've found her to be very helpful.

I have 100/300 and upper limits for the rest. 26 yr old, single, male. 03 red civic. I pay $63 per month with GEICO and live in Chicago. i have a clean record. My old insurance (American family) wanted $98 per month. I said bye bye!

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I have 100/300 and upper limits for the rest. 26 yr old, single, male. 03 red civic. I pay $63 per month with GEICO and live in Chicago. i have a clean record. My old insurance (American family) wanted $98 per month. I said bye bye!

I paid $89 per month for my older cars, but any new car is more money. Even a Nissan Versa was quoted to me at $135 (2011 - new)

I guess I have no one to blame but myself for not researching this, but when I went to the insurance company today to add the Civic to my policy I got a HUGE SHOCK! This car is going to cost me $290 a month to insure! My Corvette is only $100 per month! Turns out the Civic 2 door is one of the highest stolen cars and has a bad accident rate too. This sucks! I was fully expecting the Civic to only be $100 a month.
frown.gif
So the money I save in gas every month with this car doesn't even come close to covering the monthly insurance bill, as I had expected.

Welcome to my world. Quite a bit older than you. NEVER had a ticket, never had a accident that was my fault (and those were 20 years ago) and my Corolla (5th highest "risk" vehicle I'm told) costs me around $800 a year to insure.

When I had the Subaru it was only $410. Both have $1 million liability, full coverage with $100/$200 deductibles.

The truck (2004 GMC 4x4 1500 V6 5sp) is more with just liability than the Subaru. Our new vehicle is close to the Subaru (thankfully).

Will not talk about the liability only coverage on the 98 Contour with my 17yr old driving...

Congrats on the new ride sir but I'm afraid every insurance company is going to hit you for any "at risk" vehicle... Stinks but remember we are talking about insurance companies. I've got my home with another company and the land with yet another.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: GMFan
If I recall the 2006 Civics had engine block cracking issues. Did Honda expand warranty coverage on the engine blocks?

I thought that was only in the 2001 (timing belt) engines. (I know because my Dad had his replaced @ 14k miles).

Pats is a chain and I thought they took care of that by then.

Bill

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I just checked TD online and their quote came back at $255 per month, better, but not good enough to switch. I need to find something at half the rate I'm currently paying, like the online quote for Desjardin's insurance gave me ($137 per month) They didn't have a dropdown menu for the Corvette though, so I have a feeling they aren't "Corvette friendly" So I need a company that will give me a great rate for both of my cars, not just on one of them.

I'd insure one vehicle with one and the other with whoever gets you the total lower cost if needed.

Once my Daughter turns 18 (15 more days) the Contour is going off my insurance. I've found another insurance company that will insurance her alone for $200 every 6 month less.

Bill

I put close to 100 miles on it today and I'm very impressed with this car! It drives like a new car, not a single squeak or rattle at all. And I can't find a single thing wrong with it, everything works perfectly. The only issue I have is with the tires on it, they are Fuzion HRi's and they are a tad noisy. They handle and ride well though. The premium sound system is very good (not as good as the aftermarket setup in my Vette, but that has a bigger sub and more powerful amps)

I'm glad I chose this instead of a new Accent! I'm sure the Accent is very nice, but I don't think it would have been as fun to drive and it definitely doesn't look as sporty. And this Civic is almost half the price of that Accent. And as good as Hyundai's quality has become, I still wonder if they would be squeak and rattle free after 80,000 miles??

And as good as Hyundai's quality has become, I still wonder if they would be squeak and rattle free after 80,000 miles??

I think this must be case by case. My 07 EX coupe is just as squeak and rattle free at 71k miles at is was at 10k miles -- and that is to say is has had all the same squeaks and rattles for its whole life
smile.gif

The worst offender is the sunroof shade I think. To be fair I never tried to fix any of them.

Glad to hear yours is a little more solid.

Patman,nice car.

As far as statea farm goes, I can comment on this, as my mom is an agent for State Farm. The agent in the office has no control over the rates. My guess is that somewhere in underwriting, wires got crossed or something, and my mom agrees. You should go see your agent, and see if they can try to get it sorted out. But don't yell at the people in the office, they can't "give you a deal", underwriting and the actuaries set the rates, not the people in the office. $290 a month is pretty bad, even mine (male, under age of 25, with a violation (disobeying a traffic device-aka speeding ticket) on the cruze is only $160 a month. Something definitely is wrong.

For the record, my parents pay a grand total of $75 a month for both of their cars. It was the same per month when we had the 4 cars before.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
Patman,nice car.

As far as statea farm goes, I can comment on this, as my mom is an agent for State Farm. The agent in the office has no control over the rates. My guess is that somewhere in underwriting, wires got crossed or something, and my mom agrees. You should go see your agent, and see if they can try to get it sorted out. But don't yell at the people in the office, they can't "give you a deal", underwriting and the actuaries set the rates, not the people in the office. $290 a month is pretty bad, even mine (male, under age of 25, with a violation (disobeying a traffic device-aka speeding ticket) on the cruze is only $160 a month. Something definitely is wrong.

For the record, my parents pay a grand total of $75 a month for both of their cars. It was the same per month when we had the 4 cars before.

I would normally agree, but I got quotes on a few other cars, and the Civic by far was the most expensive car to insure. They have a high rate, and I don't really know the reasons behind it, but I can tell you one thing, it really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back