I am thinking about just using Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about just using Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car. I have used it before and the car ran good with it. I am using the German Castrol right now but it is just too hard to locate-it is kind of silly going from one AutoZone Store to another trying to locate it. The Schaeffer's oil is good but you have to pay shipping costs. Right now Mobil 1 is $18.80 a five quart jug at Wal-Mart.

I figure that Mobil 1 10W-30 should be okay for summer driving. I did not like the 5W-30 Mobil 1-it seemed to be too thin in my car. But that was an older formula of Mobil 1 anyway.

Some people at this site say that Mobil 1 is too thin. But Schaeffer's #132 will thicken it up some, right? How much Schaeffer's #132 do you use per 4 quarts of oil? Are the wear figures low enough with Mobil 1 so maybe you don't even need Schaeffer's #132?

And can you use Auto-RX in Mobil 1 with maybe some Schaeffer's #132 added as well? A maintenance dose of 3 oz. of Auto-RX. I was really impressed with Auto-RX.

I live in Colorado where the temperatures vary a lot from one season to another. Right now we have been having 100 degree days most days for quite a while, with high temperatures of 109, 108, 106, etc. In the wintertime it can get pretty cold-I have personally seen temperatures of -28. Would Mobil 1 10W-30 be okay year-round, or maybe Mobil 1 5W-30 in the wintertime?

If you need to order the Schaeffer's #132 just to improve your Mobil 1, why not just order the Schaeffer's oil instead?? Either way you're still placing an order with a Schaeffer dealer.

Hey Mystic, what's the deal? Just two months ago you couldn't say enough about how swell Tim Mills was and how Shaeffer's oil was the oil for you. Now you've put in the Castrol oil. And the Shaeffer's is "good". That's it, just "good"?

Where's your UOA on the Shaeffer's?

There are too many posts here about whether Mobil1 is too "thin". Do a search. Read the UOAs.

YZF150, I am still waiting for the results of the UOA. I should be getting it pretty soon-probably sometime this next week.

Don't get me wrong-I like Schaeffer's Oil a lot. But with the cost of shipping it is probably about the same cost as Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $18.80 for a 5 quart jug. At that cost, the Mobil 1 is about $3.76 a quart.

There was a discussion here recently about Castrol oil, and I took part in that discussion. I never used conventional Castrol very much-I am using the German Castrol right now, but if it had not been for pscholte I never would have been able to get any of it. I do not think it will be made available in Pueblo-the people at the AutoZone store in Pueblo did not even know what I was talking about. It has occasionally been available in Colorado Springs, which is a city about 45 miles away from where I live.

How much difference is there between Mobil 1, Schaeffer's, and the German Castrol?

Well, I'll bet that the same truck that delivers the orders to the Springs delivers the orders to the Autozones in Pueblo. Did you even try asking the AZ manager in Pueblo to order you some German? Did you try calling the local Castrol sales rep?

Or, you could drive to the Springs and get some.

Or, you could use Mobil1. Thus far, the UOAs on the German look at least as good as M1 UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I live in Colorado where the temperatures vary a lot from one season to another. Right now we have been having 100 degree days most days for quite a while, with high temperatures of 109, 108, 106, etc. In the wintertime it can get pretty cold-I have personally seen temperatures of -28. Would Mobil 1 10W-30 be okay year-round, or maybe Mobil 1 5W-30 in the wintertime?

I wouldn't use an Xw-30 oil in 100+ heat. It's just too thin IMO. But that's just me. Some here would disagree.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TexasTDI:

quote:

I wouldn't use an Xw-30 oil in 100+ heat. It's just too thin IMO. But that's just me. Some here would disagree.
wink.gif

I definitely disagree. You don't think Amsoil 5w30 or 10w30 could handle that heat? I sure do. Especially since they won't thin out like a lot of 40wt oils will.

Besides, why do so many people make such a big deal out of 100 degree heat? If your cooling system is in good shape your oil temperature won't be much more than 5 or 10 degrees hotter compared to a 70 degree day.

quote:

I definitely disagree. You don't think Amsoil 5w30 or 10w30 could handle that heat? I sure do. Especially since they won't thin out like a lot of 40wt oils will.

Besides, why do so many people make such a big deal out of 100 degree heat? If your cooling system is in good shape your oil temperature won't be much more than 5 or 10 degrees hotter compared to a 70 degree day.

I agree, plus, Amsoil's 30wt's are nice heavy 30wts, not light weight like Mobil's. 0w-30 would be a great all year round oil.

The Mobil 1 10W-30 will not make it at -28F. I would opt for the 0W-30 M1 or the 5W-30 Schaeffer's Moly Pure Synthetic.

[ July 27, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

I am thinking about just using Mobil 1 10W-30 in my car. I have used it before and the car ran good with it. I am using the German Castrol right now but it is just too hard to locate-it is kind of silly going from one AutoZone Store to another trying to locate it.

Mystic,

I'm in the same situation as you. I have the Castrol running in my van right now but pretty soon it'll be time to drain it out and I have not been successful locating more german syntec
frown.gif
just in case the upcoming UOA turns out to be good. Might have to switch to Mobil 1 too. In any case the Mobil 1 will be the go-to oil should I fail to get some more german castrol. It should give my car the protection it needs.
smile.gif

kiko/Mystic,

In my quest to get ample German Syntec, here's my observation...IF you can find an Autozone where there has been some movemment in the 0W30 on the shelf, i.e., the old stuff, the German Castrol is coming in to replace it. As the initial supply of German sells, the reorders are also German. Here in the Springs, the two stores that are not moving 0W30 are not getting any German in. The stores that have had it, and I have bought it, are getting more, so far at 1-2 week intervals (their shipments come in on Friday and the oil is usually unloaded by Saturday morning). So, don't give up...hopefully in the LA Basin where you have so many people making demands on current supply (with that many people who drive European cars there have got to be 0W30 lovers out there even in sunny SoCal), and in Pueblo, where the Winter temps are more likely to create interest in a 0W30, there will be movement of the US stuff on the shelves and you will get resupply of German. You may have to go one change of M1 until the pipleine really gets going, but then you shouldn't have a problem, assuming Castrol sticks with their plans (as told to one of the people on this board) to keep importing it as long as it sells. (Hopefully too, if SLX formula goes over well, we'll see the Formula R and other European Castrol imported.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back