I am going to put the Babys (Engines) to Sleep this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
with Amsoil fogging oil. Anyone use it and what do the instructions state?

How about Spring start up? Spark plug fouling?

I am pretty sure that the Amsoil fogging oil has only been around for a few months, so you probably won't find anyone around here that has used it yet. I have some, and will be using it this winter. I have done it to watercraft with marine fogging oil and they seem to do just fine. Just a little bit of smoke at startup. Being an Amsoil product, it probably had some thought put into it. What are you winterizing?

3 Bigblock Mopar Engines and a couple of lawn mowers engines. I was wondering how the process worked. Is the engine running, sprayed thru the carb??? etc...?

It's pretty easy:

1) Take out the spark plugs
2) spray the fogging oil in the spark plug holes (I do 2 short blasts - about a second each)
3) put the bike in gear and walk the bike a little to move the pistons and oil around
4) check the plugs while they are out
5) put the plugs back in

Now, #3 is going to be tricky for a car. I would not use the starter becuase you are going to end up sucking fuel into the cylinders. If you can turn the crank, that would be ideal.

We used to fog our boat right through the carb with this foamy stuff. I dont know what it was but it winterized the boat great. 351 pleasurecraft ford motor with 250hp at the prop.

quote:

Originally posted by alreadygone:
NOT gonna suck anything with plugs out, no vacuum.

bob

Forgot he had a carb, I don't own anything with a carb anymore (even both Harleys are EFI). So, yes, I guess no fuel would come into the cylinders in that case.

I've put engines into winter storage by fogging with marine fogging oil or with WD-40. I never had a fouling problem. The amount of oil that actually lands on the the plugs is tiny, and seems to burn right off in the spring.

I don't think there's much point to spraying fogging oil down the carb of any 4 stroke, it's regularly done on 2 stroke outboards or any other 2 stroke for that matter, because after going through the carb/s it will lubricate the entire engine, crank, bearings, rods, reeds, pistons, as well as combustion chamber, and it will stick to everything. A 4 stroke will just burn it right off, it's not going to lubricate much, being as the oil is what lubricates a 4 stroke.

It may do a little good to the combustion chamber by being sprayed into the spark plug holes, and then turning the engine a little, but even that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Ok, just got the order....instructions say:

Spray down intake for 10 seconds with engine in fast idle mode. Take out spark plugs and spray in each cylinder. Turn over engine a few times.

I was kinda hoping to just spray down the intake and put it too sleep. Oh, Well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back