I am considering the Dark Side. Quick Oil Change shops.

I’ve recently started having services done vs DIY and not regretting the decision yet… The last oil change we dropped it off on a Saturday morning. I got a workout in then had lunch at my favorite restaurant with lovely wife and kids. Picked it up that afternoon. Much more enjoyable than wrenching under a hood. I’ll definitely be doing it again.

I actually enjoy wrenching on our vehicles. Kind’ve a “side hobby” I guess. Plus I trust no one, I hate waiting around shops, and I hate dealing with all the douchey “customer service” you seem to always get everywhere you go these days.

I don't enjoy it, but given the current state of de-evolution of the human species and my reluctance to replace engines, I do it myself.

I changed the oil in my civic today. I also changed the oil in my Toyota Van a few weeks ago. I literally did not spill a single drop of oil changing my Van's oil and filter. The civic? It has a detestable oil filter mount location. It's one of those filters on the firewall side of the transverse engine. So when the filter comes undone, oil drips down the side of block and in this Civic's case, onto the exhaust pipe. I spilled about a teaspoon of oil. Not horrible compared to my past spill disasters, but still frustrating. The used oil coated my arm, and stained a jacket. I'm just about fed up with these sort of oil filter locations. I believe I am ready to concede. Most of my life, I have been a devoted DIY addict, but for something as mundane and as cheap as an oil change, I believe I am ready. Ready to discard this infuriating chore to a quick oil change shop. I know there is risk of error, but the risk of occurrence seems so low. I will remain DIY for big jobs, but a simple oil change? I think it's time to throw in the towel. Who else has crossed the line from changing your own oil to enlisting oil change shops to descend into the oily abyss?
My wife’s 2020 Sentra is getting the best of me I did 2 oil changes so far but this car might go to the dealership or local shop. There’s a belly pan the length and width of the car 20+ push pins and 4 10mm bolts.

Back