I am confused about out analysis, Blackstone Lab not correcting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LS-1,

As stated above, you have been a member since 2002. You know full well what is contained in a UOA no matter what company does it. I hate a person with your knowledge come on this site and complain like a bubble gummer.

You are now history for over riding the censor.

Over riding Censor

mad.gif

LS1, I've used Terry's services and they're top notch. He KNOWS what he's talking about.

You just seem a bit irritable in most of your posts. I don't understand why you seem determined to be unsatisfied with ANYONE'S answer to your original post.

here is your "analysis":

"©COPYRIGHT BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES 2001 LIABILITY LIMITED TO COST OF SAMPLE ANALYSIS
P.O. NUMBER CC: MC (Prepaid)
THOMAS: Thanks for the note. We don't normally consider it a problem to burn oil, as most engines
do. But if your engine's oil consumption rate changes, either increasing or decreasing dramatically,
that can spell trouble. As it is, we found high iron and lead, both coming from the bearings. We
assume the wear is due to the long oil change. GM engines aren't the best wearing out there, so you
may want to consider shorter oil changes to reduce wear. The TBN read 1.1, quite low & very little
active additive left. No contaminants (like fuel) found. Check back."

Let me be specific about why I am angry so everyone knows that my anger is based in logic:

-OK, first of all you say Iron and lead are "high". You never define "high". Why are they high? Is it because they are high for the universal averages in which the concentrations are comparred to those of people who change their oil every 3-5,000 miles? If this is the case, what is your threashole of Low-borderline-high, specifically, in ppm concentrations? To give a statement with absolutely NO justification is scientifically laughable.

- TBN is 1.1, very little addative left. What does this mean? Addative, to me means cleaning agents, moly, esters, acid neutralizing compounds? I am guseeing based on my own chemical experience that it is some sort of total base number. However, what is "LOW"? 10%, 20%, 50%? Where is the quantification.

-My viscosity was off the charts high, but no mention was given on your so called analysis.

-It seems that there could have been more said, but because the person wrote a personal note to me, he ran out of room, therefore, writing a note took presidence over given an analysis based in quantifiable rationalization.

You know, I waited 9 months and really anticipated getting some real data I could punch into an Excel spreadsheet and crunch, but all I got was an "analysis for dummies". Worse yet, I cannot even crunch my own numbers because I know nothing about how you derive yours. All in all, it was a complete waste of 30 dollars and more importantly, I am dissapointed and mad at myself for not realizing the scam.

Oh, and Finally- You made NO MENTION of a possible good oil change interval. You can say numbers are high because of a high interval, but come on, you need to give an average ppm/X muiles and if you refuse to do that, at least give a suggested interval. You short changed me, here.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
LS1, I've used Terry's services and they're top notch. He KNOWS what he's talking about.

You just seem a bit irritable in most of your posts. I don't understand why you seem determined to be unsatisfied with ANYONE'S answer to your original post.

Perhaps you got ueable date from him, if you read my post, I did not even get a milage to go with my universal averages. Maybe he knows what he is talking about, but he didn't give ME useful data. Period. To say that you got good service, therefore, I must have received good service is completely illogical. Perhaps your analysis was good. That says NOTHING about my service.

quote:

Originally posted by Bio-T:
LS-1,

As stated above, you have been a member since 2002. You know full well what is contained in a UOA no matter what company does it. I hate a person with your knowledge come on this site and complain like a bubble gummer.

Over riding Censor

mad.gif

My issue is that I was not given what other people ARE given, if you read my posts, you would see that. Why is everyone missing that point?

Your beef if I understand this is that Blackstone didn't put the average miles of the UA on your report. Most I see by them do. I get that you need it or want it but its easy to get for no charge when they skip it.

I'm not guessing a 1/3 adjustment will make your # look average by these comments especially TBN.
I'll admit the service seems routine - if they read high metals and low tbn Blackstone is going to say shorter OCI just as they do the opposite when they read high tbn and low metals.

But your next UOA - should be more useful to you as whatever change you made - different oil , different OCI will be reported. I thought most of the value is actually your own trend on UOA for your vehicle while the onetime UOA is to see if you have coolant leaks, fuel dillution and other mechanical problems.

Without them what are going to do - listen to the sound of the engine , look at the color, check oil consumption, mpg. For me its a good tools and if I have a mechanical issue with the car - coolant leak , bearing wear
I want those reports to see that I have UA or better.

LS1-CAMARO, you posted; "Perhaps you got ueable date from him, if you read my post, I did not even get a milage to go with my universal averages. Maybe he knows what he is talking about, but he didn't give ME useful data. Period. To say that you got good service, therefore, I must have received good service is completely illogical. Perhaps your analysis was good. That says NOTHING about my service."

"HIM AND HE" IS NOT ME, TERRY DYSON. I have no idea who interpreted that data but it was not Dyson Analysis! You BOUGHT a BASIC BLACKSTONE LABS REPORT WITH TBN. IF YOU BOUGHT A DYSON CO-OP PACKAGE I NEVER SAW IT.

Lets get this clear so there is no confusion. Might harm my business and we do a heckova job for a low price.

You DID NOT receive a Dyson Analysis Service. I DO NOT WORK FOR BLACKSTONE LABS. Apples and oranges LS1-CAMARO. Is a base Camaro 5.7 the same as a LS1 ?

OUR PREMIUM SERVICE, and even our BKLABS CO-OP KIT IS MUCH MORE IN DEPTH THAN THIS TEST PROTOCAL.

I DO CURRENTLY OFFER A DYSON ANALYSIS CO-OP DEAL WITH BKLABS DOING THE RAW DATA FOR MY CUSTOMERS BUT THE INTERPRETATION IS MUCH MORE IN DEPTH THAN THIS.

Next analysis try us, your BP will drop a few points and that car will run much better!

In the meantime address the source of your anxiety, Blackstone labs, they are honest people,even if they produce results that are not "scientific" enough for you. Tell them I sent you.

Terry Dyson, owner of DYSON ANALYSIS not Blackstone Labs.

www.dysonanalysis.com

quote:

Originally posted by LS1-CAMARO:

quote:

Originally posted by Bio-T:
LS-1,

Over riding Censor

mad.gif

My issue is that I was not given what other people ARE given, if you read my posts, you would see that. Why is everyone missing that point?

Because you totally missed the point that the interpretation is the interpretation of a lab technician, and was not a Dyson Analysis. You got the basic UOA that anyone gets, no-one gets more than you did for a basic UOA w/ TBN, If you need more info, call them up, I've heard blackstone is very accomodating in explaining things to customers. The universal averages are interesting, but that is about it, like Terry said, not very useful in an in depth analysis.

I think you need to send your samples to Terry from now on. I haven't used him but I like what I see on his website and what others have said about him (not to mention him being very visible on this website)

I've had 5 or so samples looked at by Blackstone between my car and my wife's Vue. I'm more than happy with the information I am reciveing from them but then again I'm not looking or paying for the type of info that Terry provides.

With my car still under warranty and sort of low miles (well 37K in a year) I'll stick with Blackstone...I may send the next sample from my wife's Vue to Terry to get a better picture of how the engine is doing as she just past 70k in 2 years time.

Not sure other labs for the $$ you are spending are going to give you any more info that you are looking for

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back