I am a weak man...M1 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so much for trying Maxlife in my 11yo Grand Cherokee. Many of you know by now that I retired it as a daily driver and was considering a switch to a HM dino or blend like Maxlife changed every 6 months...but I was at wally world and I could not help myself but to buy a jug of M1 HM 10w30 again...After 8yrs of nothing but M1, I could not betray my old Jeep...I will be doing M1 HM once per year or 3k (whichever comes 1st)...I am just gonna use up the Maxlife & Pennzoil HM in my other daily-driven Jeep w/ 4.0L motor...that way good oil doesn't go to waste...Although I do not have what I consider HM yet on that one, I would love to see if the Maxlife or Pennzoil HM helps the famous 4.0 rear main leak...

No sir, you are not weak. You're an Oklahoman with conviction.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Yes, you are a weak man.

Did you get the 10 dollar rebate submission?

No, how can I get it?

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Yes, you are a weak man.

Did you get the 10 dollar rebate submission?

No, how can I get it?

I believe it's too late. Cutoff was April 1st.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
You could probably use cooking oil in that engine... But M1 is a great choice!
LOL.gif

Which engine? The one I am doing the M1 HM in is a magnum V8...I am assuming you are referring to the 4.0L? Now that motor I am less picky about since it probably could run on cooking oil LOL?

LOL.gif

Which engine? The one I am doing the M1 HM in is a magnum V8...I am assuming you are referring to the 4.0L? Now that motor I am less picky about since it probably could run on cooking oil LOL?

You could run either one on Crisco, they're equally tough. In fact, the Magnum might actually be a tad tougher- the 4.0 has a few quirks with crank vibration modes that the v8s don't (I make it a habit to inspect the harmonic balancer every oil change on my 4.0 since they tend to deteriorate and shed the outer ring because they get such a workout with that long crank). I've spent the last 27 years trying to outlast a 318 which is the same as a 5.9 but with a shorter stroke.

But I'm glad you decided to give the ol' gal the good stuff. I would push the change interval WAY beyond 3k miles, though.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
LOL.gif

You could run either one on Crisco, they're equally tough. In fact, the Magnum might actually be a tad tougher- the 4.0 has a few quirks with crank vibration modes that the v8s don't (I make it a habit to inspect the harmonic balancer every oil change on my 4.0 since they tend to deteriorate and shed the outer ring because they get such a workout with that long crank). I've spent the last 27 years trying to outlast a 318 which is the same as a 5.9 but with a shorter stroke.

But I'm glad you decided to give the ol' gal the good stuff. I would push the change interval WAY beyond 3k miles, though.

Well this is a 360 in this Jeep...only made it one year and I am the 2nd owner and bought it when it was 3 yrs old.

I assume it had dino and the OCM was set to 4k when I got it so dino from the dealer every 4k until I got her. Then M1 silver cap every 3-4k since. But would you really push the oil past 3k if it were not going to be driven much and maybe not even 3k per year? Wouldn't the 1 change per yr (either every fall or spring), be the best bet?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Not weak man when use strong motor oil.

32.gif

Now I am figuring out why the Syn mindset here on this board...

Sorta like the jacked up pickup trucks with the big exhaust pipes...
smirk2.gif

Compensating for something else?
LOL.gif

Only took 6+ years..
33.gif

Back to the OP... If you need HM oil then use it. Maxlife is an excellent oil *IF* you need it.

I'd never use a HM oil unless I was trying to not fix things.

If the engine is something I wanted to keep, I'd fix the issues and run normal oil.

I'm old school. Never seen a oil that will fix things.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

32.gif

smirk2.gif

LOL.gif

Only took 6+ years..
33.gif

Back to the OP... If you need HM oil then use it. Maxlife is an excellent oil *IF* you need it.

If the engine is something I wanted to keep, I'd fix the issues and run normal oil.

Take care, Bill

it has a few minor leaks (not enough to hit pavement) and 178k...I'd say that qualifies it? The MAIN reason I want HM oil though is for the thicker base & better additive pkg (more ZDDP, moly, whatever)...

Fix the leaks.

Why do you need the thicker base? Any oil is going to be fine in that engine.

I've had a few family members try HM oil and it never fixed their leaks.

Fixing the leak (seal and gaskets) fixed them.

Again, do what you'd like, I've never used a HM oil and have had many very HM engines.

I just love the 75,001 you have to use it marketing on some oils...

Take care, Bill

FWIW, I was running Castrol GTX HM 10w-30 in my leaking 175K 4.0L, and put in Quaker State 10W-30 on the last change because I got it on sale. I've noticed that it is leaving significantly more oil in its parking space at night. I'll probably just bite the bullet and change the seal when this OCI is done. Such a mess of a job, I've been delaying it as long as possible.

32.gif

smirk2.gif

LOL.gif

Only took 6+ years..
33.gif

Take care, Bill

You do realize my post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, right?

Secondly, some of us use HM oil to prevent, stop, or limit leaks, and do some light-cleaning, on engines somewhat abused by previous owners. I don't advocate that one use a HM oil every change as that isn't needed. But, thicker base oils can provide a compression advantage in older engines to some extent in warmer months...

And there is a benefit of a synthetic in a long OCI for use that might drive a lot and not feel like changing our oil every couple of months...

Fix the leaks.

Why do you need the thicker base? Any oil is going to be fine in that engine.

I've had a few family members try HM oil and it never fixed their leaks.

Fixing the leak (seal and gaskets) fixed them.

Again, do what you'd like, I've never used a HM oil and have had many very HM engines.

I just love the 75,001 you have to use it marketing on some oils...

Take care, Bill

I have a laundry list of things and repairing the leaks is low on the list. Since they do not drip on the ground. Anyway, thanks for the input, I would never "buy in" to the marketing of the 75k OCI and I think most folks who make it to this forum would agree. But again, the main reason I want the HM oil is that it has a better additive pkg. This Jeep 360 will me used to tow, camp, mud-bog, etc, and with 178k on the clock, I want to protect it with an oil that has more HD additives.

I have a laundry list of things and repairing the leaks is low on the list. Since they do not drip on the ground. Anyway, thanks for the input, I would never "buy in" to the marketing of the 75k OCI and I think most folks who make it to this forum would agree. But again, the main reason I want the HM oil is that it has a better additive pkg. This Jeep 360 will me used to tow, camp, mud-bog, etc, and with 178k on the clock, I want to protect it with an oil that has more HD additives.

Thats why i use it too and recommend it, use it, your 360 will thank you..

Originally Posted By: daman

Thats why i use it too and recommend it, use it, your 360 will thank you..

To me, the HM question is: Why isn't HM oil the preferred oil in all cases over regular oil? I began using M1 10W30 HM oil last year in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder because of its stronger additive package (it is an SL, not SM oil), even though the Pathfinder has only 39,000 miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back